Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What drum machine, digital 8 track, multieffects?

Having money again means I'm going to splurge...what can you recommend? This is just for me to write tracks with my guitar.

Any suggestions DS?

Jeez I have no clue - The last recorder I had was a Fostex Multitracker 280 (4-track recording onto cassette tapes)

fostex280.jpg

- but that was 20+ years ago - I reckon the technology might have improved a bit since then!

Now I've got my brand spanking new Jackson guitar I could also do with a drum machine and a multi - track recorder

For me the main criteria is that the drum machine can play a fast Discharge beat (D-beat as it's known these days) - If it can play some extreme metal beats (without me having to program it) that would be a bonus too

Let me know what you go for :punk:

ebf92b8dbd5c18b720bb4a3d0f48a4b5.jpg

The last time I did this stuff it was with an old Fostex four track tape mixer...bouncing tracks until half of them vanished into the hiss.

Being a creature of habit I'd probably go Fostex again...unless some music shop man tells me different

• 2 weeks later...

Having money again means I'm going to splurge...what can you recommend? This is just for me to write tracks with my guitar.

Any suggestions DS?

I used to use a Fostex 4 track, which was OK, but I bought Cubasis VST5 on ebay for about £20, and it's great - it gives you 8 audio and 16 midi tracks, and has got loads of effects and virtual instruments you can use for drums, keyboards, bass etc (either via midi keyboard, or by typing in the notes you want - a bit long winded, but as you can copy and paste, easy to use to get ideas down). The thing I like best is you can insert, cut, move etc sections of your recordings if you restructure your songs really easily, and still be able to use the same tracks that you've recorded. OK it's not especially portable (unless you have a laptop!!!), and there are better programmes available, but for the price, you can't go far wrong.

• 2 years later...
Right. Someone help me as I don't really know where to start.

Want some recording equipment, possibly with a built in drum machine.

What have you got so far and what do you intend to do?

Are you recording from a guitar/drums/instrument, or do you want to make tunes with soft synths?

Once I know I can lead you in the right direction. :thumbup:

I downloaded Reason 4.0 the other day (recommended by Valarenga) - it's a monstrous piece of software, just need my keyboard to be delivered then I can start making some tunes.

I have no idea if that helps but if you're interested in music production then this is probably a piece of software you'll want to know about.

Got nothing atm mate. And the first one!

So im guessing you have a computer already. Step 1 complete.

Now you need an audio sequencer. If your on PC - Cubase or something similar. You will have to do a few tutorials but im sure you will get the hang of it. If your on a mac - Logic Pro or Cubase.

Reason is a quality bit of software but more suited for the electronic music maker.

Next step is an audio interface. This is the device which will send the audio from your guitar into your pc. Most interfaces come with xlr/jack inputs/outputs and your sequencer will pick them up once the interface has been installed.

Speakers - For listening lol

Then you just hit record and play.

If you want a drum machine then that will also connect to your interface and will playback through the sequencer.

A drum machine isin't neccesary if your on a budget as you can get software versions which you can make your own loops at your desired tempo. Or just get a pre made loop in wav format or build your own with single hits (kicks, snare, hats etc).

If you have a guitar amp or effects pedal just send the signal from there into the computer.

Thats all there is to it really. :thumbup:

The guitar link is the audio interface.

UCG102_wiring.jpg

I downloaded Reason 4.0 the other day (recommended by Valarenga) - it's a monstrous piece of software, just need my keyboard to be delivered then I can start making some tunes.

I have no idea if that helps but if you're interested in music production then this is probably a piece of software you'll want to know about.

Reason is quality. I love the malstrom synth, get some nice sounds out of it. All the cambridge four (Commix, Logistics, Nu Tone) use it to make there beats on, integrating with cubase and logic. Im sure commix said they have just moved to logic actually in an interview but all there stuff so far has been made on Reason I believe.

People slag it off but it's fun to mess about with.

Archived