Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harpenden Fox

Poor quality local media in Leicestershire

Most of us feel that the Merc has been pathetically one eyed in its reporting of 'Milan Mandaric's £25 million takeover' blah blah.

Driving home from this afternoon's game, I was saddened by the weakness of comments after the game from Messrs Egerton and Taggart. Taggs was an awesome player for us, approaching legend status, but I think he's an embarrassment on the radio and should be put out of his misery.

He kept saying 'Leicester has been playing well for 6-8 weeks now, and today is just a blip', or words to that effect. We've been playing well? Cardiff at home? Cardiff away? Southampton away? Sunderland home?

Then he goes on to say 'Rob Kelly is very attack minded, he knows no other way'. Really?

Then he said something like ' there's no way those players will be sitting in the dressing room thinking this is a breeze, and there's nothing to worry about'. Real insight that.

You get my drift. It was just utter pathetic rubbish, and I presume he gets paid for spouting this rubbish.

Both the Merc and BBC Radio Leicester give City loads of space and airtime, but frankly there's far more informed opinion on this site. This is probably an old git comment, but it feels like it was so much better 10 to 20 years ago.

The only person interviewed who made sense was Kelly himself. He didn't pretend we'd played well, he was honest, and he sounded as frustrated as me.

Most of us feel that the Merc has been pathetically one eyed in its reporting of 'Milan Mandaric's £25 million takeover' blah blah.

Driving home from this afternoon's game, I was saddened by the weakness of comments after the game from Messrs Egerton and Taggart. Taggs was an awesome player for us, approaching legend status, but I think he's an embarrassment on the radio and should be put out of his misery.

He kept saying 'Leicester has been playing well for 6-8 weeks now, and today is just a blip', or words to that effect. We've been playing well? Cardiff at home? Cardiff away? Southampton away? Sunderland home?

Then he goes on to say 'Rob Kelly is very attack minded, he knows no other way'. Really?

Then he said something like ' there's no way those players will be sitting in the dressing room thinking this is a breeze, and there's nothing to worry about'. Real insight that.

You get my drift. It was just utter pathetic rubbish, and I presume he gets paid for spouting this rubbish.

Both the Merc and BBC Radio Leicester give City loads of space and airtime, but frankly there's far more informed opinion on this site. This is probably an old git comment, but it feels like it was so much better 10 to 20 years ago.

The only person interviewed who made sense was Kelly himself. He didn't pretend we'd played well, he was honest, and he sounded as frustrated as me.

I think Taggart maybe choosing his words quite carefully as I understand he's working for the club for free at the moment. If you were looking for your dream job would you be slagging off your employer just weeks before you may be offered 'that perfect' job? Remember football is business and the general public are very easily led. A hero like Gerry quoting remarks like " I certainly wouldn't pay money to watch this shite" is hardly going to put extra bums on seats. Extra bums makes Milan happy which makes Taggart employed.

I think Taggart maybe choosing his words quite carefully as I understand he's working for the club for free at the moment. If you were looking for your dream job would you be slagging off your employer just weeks before you may be offered 'that perfect' job? Remember football is business and the general public are very easily led. A hero like Gerry quoting remarks like " I certainly wouldn't pay money to watch this shite" is hardly going to put extra bums on seats. Extra bums makes Milan happy which makes Taggart employed.

obviously not, so wouldn't it be better if the summarisers were a little more independent. I don't mean slagging everyone off, but at least sounding like they've watched the same game as the rest of us!

obviously not, so wouldn't it be better if the summarisers were a little more independent. I don't mean slagging everyone off, but at least sounding like they've watched the same game as the rest of us!

I think during the game he's pretty to the point. He gets angry with players and questions tactics. Maybe he's worried who maybe listening after the game :dunno:

The problem today is everything has to have some 'celebrity' attached to it, that's why we've got, Celebrity this and that on every other TV show, Celebrity magazines covering the newsagents wall; FFS we've even got the Osbourne family presenting half the TV programmes, and of course we now have to have some 'celebrity' in the commentators chair.

Who's to blame? The general public for their sycophantic obsession with celebrities, the evidence is there, more newspapers and magazines are sold, more people watch TV and more people listen to the radio when they are fronted by a 'celebrity'

We are now at saturation point and and spread so thin that anyone who's been famous for 5 minutes will do.

Having said that I think Gerry Taggart's match comments are general quite accurate and often damning, it's just his summing up that weakens somewhat.

Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, Gerry, :P

to be fair both the Mercury and RL rely on the cooperation of the club. they can't afford to upset them to much.

They've upset the club anyway. And no wonder they're upset.

But it's not the truth that's upset them....and there lies the rub.

If the media print the truth they can look anyone in the eyes, co-operation or not.

If they don't they're going to get panned from all sides and rightly so.

TBH it isn't just a Leicestershire thing, local media in general is quite poor. Any one who is actually good at their job gets a national position.

Thats true.

Also the likes of Taggart has got to be more pro-Leicester on the radio as you wouldnt want to listen to someone who always moans about the club or manager as it doesnt help the "feel-good" factor that these shows are meant to help create in a community and around a club.

To be fair Im not bothered about what the media write as I get more of an insight into the games from reading this forum when I am unable to get to the game to see things with my own eyes.

On issues regarding takeovers and deals, the local paper and reporters should be tight-knit with the club for exclusives so you would imagine them to be club biased. Alex Ferguson always gives the local paper heads up on transfer deals and the local community get it before it goes national which is also a nice touch.

Anyway, fudge the Merc for anything more than basic journalism. I`ll get my rumours and scoops on here lol

to be fair both the Mercury and RL rely on the cooperation of the club. they can't afford to upset them to much.

I have a fundamental problem with this. If the local media does it's own research and writes critically about the club, team and performances, is the club going to stop talking to it? Is it bo!!ocks. They need the media as much as the other way round. All this takes is some balls.

I have a fundamental problem with this. If the local media does it's own research and writes critically about the club, team and performances, is the club going to stop talking to it? Is it bo!!ocks. They need the media as much as the other way round. All this takes is some balls.

precisely. The Merc and RL effectively give the Club tonnes of free publicity. They would be mad to bite the Chand that feeds.

I'm not saying I want Sun style pictures of Kelly with a turnip head. I just want more honesty and intelligence in the way matters to do with City are reported. In the case of RL that means more honest assessment of performances. In the case of the Merc that means more objectivity.

Instead of a guess summariser like Gibbo or Taggs, I'd love RL to offer the summarisers job to a panel of regular, committed fans. I don't mean someone going on simply to moan and say sack the board, sack Kelly, sack uncle tom cobleigh. I may not agree with Thracian's points about throwing in the kids for example, but it'd be far more interesting hear him put forward the case for a Gradel and a Dodds, for example, than some ex footballer 'revealing' that 'they'll be hurting in that dressing room, I can tell you, along with a whole load of tired old cliches.

I think you will find that Bill Anderson is a diehard Leicester fan who reports Factual information and can and will be our truth and justice seeker in regards to all things Leicester city! He is not a puppet and will put LCFC and MM's nose out of joint if needs be!

Bill has been commenting on this subject and he said "Hey I'm a journalist, that's what we do" He's my Hero

lol:rolleyes::whistle:

precisely. The Merc and RL effectively give the Club tonnes of free publicity. They would be mad to bite the Chand that feeds.

I'm not saying I want Sun style pictures of Kelly with a turnip head. I just want more honesty and intelligence in the way matters to do with City are reported. In the case of RL that means more honest assessment of performances. In the case of the Merc that means more objectivity.

Instead of a guess summariser like Gibbo or Taggs, I'd love RL to offer the summarisers job to a panel of regular, committed fans. I don't mean someone going on simply to moan and say sack the board, sack Kelly, sack uncle tom cobleigh. I may not agree with Thracian's points about throwing in the kids for example, but it'd be far more interesting hear him put forward the case for a Gradel and a Dodds, for example, than some ex footballer 'revealing' that 'they'll be hurting in that dressing room, I can tell you, along with a whole load of tired old cliches.

:D:D:D

I don't think for a moment that they'd relish the discomfort of having me around.

But I entirely agree that the summarisers should be people from a panel of committed fans.

The idea is to have "expert" opinion and there's lots of articulate fans who really do know their club and their football inside out.

These days I get so sick of the sterilised or inaccurate diatribe I hear on radio when I cannot go to a match that often search around for somewhere else to listen.

It's not to seay it is an easy job. Mistakes will always be made in live situations. But pre-prepared background inaccuracies from professional commentators and diluted pick-one-out rent-a-quotes from summarisers are so irritating - though inevitable when ex-players are commenting on their mates.

By definition, every critical remark is going to be subdued. No-one would constructively criticise much less publicly slate the pals they might be off out with for a drink with afterwards.

But fans summarising would put some passion and some emotional reality into proceedings. They would still need to be fair though.

:D:D:D

I don't think for a moment that they'd relish the discomfort of having me around.

But I entirely agree that the summarisers should be people from a panel of committed fans.

The idea is to have "expert" opinion and there's lots of articulate fans who really do know their club and their football inside out.

These days I get so sick of the sterilised or inaccurate diatribe I hear on radio when I cannot go to a match that often search around for somewhere else to listen.

It's not to seay it is an easy job. Mistakes will always be made in live situations. But pre-prepared background inaccuracies from professional commentators and diluted pick-one-out rent-a-quotes from summarisers are so irritating - though inevitable when ex-players are commenting on their mates.

By definition, every critical remark is going to be subdued. No-one would constructively criticise much less publicly slate the pals they might be off out with for a drink with afterwards.

But fans summarising would put some passion and some emotional reality into proceedings. They would still need to be fair though.

Someone like Glynn Stewart perhaps? He seems to know his stuff but even he can be too critical at times. To be fair fans do get to give their opinions in the local media through the Phone ins and letter pages in the Mercury and some of the comments from texts and e-mails have been quite critical of the club and the Foxes Trust in particular over their handling of the Mandaric deal.

Archived