Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OriginalRobboFOX

Kelly Backs Hitman Hume

I think that decision was just tactical because Koumas plays wide left and attacks loads, cutting inside at will and maybe Hughes who is less forward thinking would stifle that. Im not saying I agree with the decision but in RKs defence there isnt a major problem with being tactically aware.

I think we do need to attack more at home though and take more risks. We proved at Cov that if we attack sides we can be succesful. Maybe we shouldnt go too gung-ho against the likes of WBA who have the pace to rip most sides at this level apart on the break but still our home record needs to improve.

He could just as easily and as effectively told Yeates, Maybury and the rest of the team for that matter to push forward and therefore keep Koumas occupied with defensive duties.

It's all down to attitude and belief and when you think that we got a draw then with a more positive approach a win wasn't entirely out of the question.

He could just as easily and as effectively told Yeates, Maybury and the rest of the team for that matter to push forward and therefore keep Koumas occupied with defensive duties.

It's all down to attitude and belief and when you think that we got a draw then with a more positive approach a win wasn't entirely out of the question.

We could have won but could also have got beaten. If we put it in perspective, they are a team who were relegated from the prem and have kept there best players and currently top our league! Too gung-ho with the below average first team we have could be suicidal. There is a time and a place for more attacking play but maybe (Im personally not sure) it shouldnt be against the likes of WBA.

No it's not all about attitude and belief! It would be bloody easy if it was. You can have the best attitude and belief in succeeding but doesn't mean you will.

And to say by pushing Maybury and Yeates further up would mean that the Koumas threat would be less isn't right. It's like saying why not push the whole team up and always be on attack, not even the great attacking sides like Man U can do that!

No it's not all about attitude and belief! It would be bloody easy if it was. You can have the best attitude and belief in succeeding but doesn't mean you will.

And to say by pushing Maybury and Yeates further up would mean that the Koumas threat would be less isn't right. It's like saying why not push the whole team up and always be on attack, not even the great attacking sides like Man U can do that!

Well having seen the results of our policies these last few years you'd think people would be demanding a change of emphasis and if that change were to involve us become ever increasingly like Manchester United and Arsenal I'll welcome it gleefully.

Ironically, most of the time I see Manchester United struggling is when they stop being true to themselves and try to play negatively to close out matches... as against Reading in the Cup and Arsenal a week or two earlier.

It is a mentality I will never understand and, frankly, one that I don't want to understand.

Well we will have to agree to disagree but when virtually every manager in this league continually quotes that any team can beat any team, and I've not seen anything to make me question that then I believe attitude and belief is a very, very significant part of winning.

As for pushing the whole team up that is exactly what the successful teams do even when they haven't got the ball. We have a space the size of the Atlantic Ocean between our defenders/defensive mid-fielders, with Hughes in the team that means at least 7 out field players camped in and around our penalty area.

Well we will have to agree to disagree but when virtually every manager in this league continually quotes that any team can beat any team, and I've not seen anything to make me question that then I believe attitude and belief is a very, very significant part of winning.

As for pushing the whole team up that is exactly what the successful teams do even when they haven't got the ball. We have a space the size of the Atlantic Ocean between our defenders/defensive mid-fielders, with Hughes in the team that means at least 7 out field players camped in and around our penalty area.

It's sort of true, any club "can" beat any other club. However with one or two exceptions the teams you'd expect to be at the top are, and it's the same with the bottom.

Yeh totally agree, mentality is difficult to understand. And i do believe mentality can play a part in success, of course it does, but up to a point. It's like when people say you can do whatever if you put your mind to it, but it's not true for 99.9% of people. I want to be a pro footballer, i never will be no matter what my mind set or my efforts because i don't have the abilities needed. For me I think, although Thracian disagrees, our fans do want attacking football, but a lot of us also understand that attacking football is not as easy as just a mentality change or a personel change within the squad we have. These are all important components yes, i would never disagree with that, but what I think a lot of you are failing to see, is that the individuals are also one of those components and in my eyes as important if not more.

I agree Kelly has blame in this particular aspect aswell as he could have done better with maybe some of his pre season signings or recent loanees or maybe he couldn't, who knows what the market had to offer us.

All i know is that a draw and nearly a deserved win over WBA was a good result, and anyone who thinks by simply changing our mentality and tactics and not considering the problem with the lack of quality of our current playing staff is naive. It's not an excuse, it's a very valid point.

Yes every team can beat any team on the day!! Consistently though, no! Only the top teams with the top players do that, hence the table at present.

Yes i agree that the successful teams push up and are succesful for it, but as i said that is just one aspect of why their winning week in week out. The successful teams also have better players, surely you can't overlook that!?

Yeh totally agree, mentality is difficult to understand. And i do believe mentality can play a part in success, of course it does, but up to a point. It's like when people say you can do whatever if you put your mind to it, but it's not true for 99.9% of people. I want to be a pro footballer, i never will be no matter what my mind set or my efforts because i don't have the abilities needed. For me I think, although Thracian disagrees, our fans do want attacking football, but a lot of us also understand that attacking football is not as easy as just a mentality change or a personel change within the squad we have. These are all important components yes, i would never disagree with that, but what I think a lot of you are failing to see, is that the individuals are also one of those components and in my eyes as important if not more.

I agree Kelly has blame in this particular aspect aswell as he could have done better with maybe some of his pre season signings or recent loanees or maybe he couldn't, who knows what the market had to offer us.

All i know is that a draw and nearly a deserved win over WBA was a good result, and anyone who thinks by simply changing our mentality and tactics and not considering the problem with the lack of quality of our current playing staff is naive. It's not an excuse, it's a very valid point.

When we tried the same tactics at WBA we blew it and came away with nothing, I just believe you are making it harder to get any points by conceding the initiative which RK invariably does.

Besides I wasn't suggesting just Mentality and tactics it also includes using the correct type of player e.g Yeates and not Hughes.

We've shown against supposedly better Premier opposition that we can compete with these teams, remembering that the sum of the team can be stronger than a bunch of individuals. The question I'll continue to ask is why does RK play with a purpose against these Premier teams and yet sends out a bunch of scaredy cats against Championship also rans?

When we tried the same tactics at WBA we blew it and came away with nothing, I just believe you are making it harder to get any points by conceding the initiative which RK invariably does.

Besides I wasn't suggesting just Mentality and tactics it also includes using the correct type of player e.g Yeates and not Hughes.

We've shown against supposedly better Premier opposition that we can compete with these teams, remembering that the sum of the team can be stronger than a bunch of individuals. The question I'll continue to ask is why does RK play with a purpose against these Premier teams and yet sends out a bunch of scaredy cats against Championship also rans?

I agree we can match teams like Fulham in a single game, which is the same point as the managers saying anyone can beat anyone in this league. But consistenly beat them? No. Would we beat Fulham if we played them each week, I don't know for sure but i would strongly think no. If you think we can compete with these prem teams standards on regular basis then you'll be happy that when we get promoted we won't need to bring any new players in!

Honestly, I think one off games like the FA cup matches should not judge our teams performance or even potential for that matter. I think the league and the performances week in week out should set where we are at in terms of quality and potential. And I agree it's not what we would like, but I also understand that to say we have matched some prem teams along the way in one off games, does not suggest we could be competing with the top and have the ability to CONSISTENTLY play attractive, attacking football.

I agree we can match teams like Fulham in a single game, which is the same point as the managers saying anyone can beat anyone in this league. But consistenly beat them? No. Would we beat Fulham if we played them each week, I don't know for sure but i would strongly think no. If you think we can compete with these prem teams standards on regular basis then you'll be happy that when we get promoted we won't need to bring any new players in!

Honestly, I think one off games like the FA cup matches should not judge our teams performance or even potential for that matter. I think the league and the performances week in week out should set where we are at in terms of quality and potential. And I agree it's not what we would like, but I also understand that to say we have matched some prem teams along the way in one off games, does not suggest we could be competing with the top and have the ability to CONSISTENTLY play attractive, attacking football.

Well, nothing will improve our attacking until we pick players who compliment each other throughout and unless we do we've no chance of promotion with eight defensive players because we won't score enough goals. It is that simple.

And the truth of that statement is highlighted in the results week after week and the League table that says 37 goals scored in 34 games.

Well, nothing will improve our attacking until we pick players who compliment each other throughout and unless we do we've no chance of promotion with eight defensive players because we won't score enough goals. It is that simple.

And the truth of that statement is highlighted in the results week after week and the League table that says 37 goals scored in 34 games.

So you admit we need new players then? The rest of us already know this.

But do we have these players in the Squad?

hume is one of the hardest working guys on the pitch for leicester...he runs himself into the ground every game, has a good team and worth ethic... i think he's just in a goal slump right now but he will start banging them in again

Do you live in Canade, if not excuse me, if you do how on earth do you know how much he runs.

I don't agree that 100% of Leicester fans want to play like that at all. I think a good proportion are just like you and Kelly, essentially cautious.

Until Leicester fans *demand* an element of attacking and essentially entertaining football we will not get it. Especially from Rob Kelly I am sorry to say. Some clubs are renowned for playing fast, attacking football because the fans have demanded it and the managers chosen are known to play that way.

But do we have these players in the Squad?

You don't know until you try them but if not then that is surely where our priorities for signings should lie. To my mind at least three of our weaknesses have been apparent, not just to me but to everyone, for 18 months now and still nothing - or very little, is done.

We seem brilliant at finding workhorses for centre-midfield etc - and you always need such people - but we're not so good at finding footballers who are less mass produced. No wonder MM has swiftly earmarked the scouting system for an overhaul.

hume is one of the hardest working guys on the pitch for leicester...he runs himself into the ground every game, has a good team and worth ethic... i think he's just in a goal slump right now but he will start banging them in again

We all know that Hume works hard and eveything else but fact is he's not scoring. If Kelly would ever think of dopping him to attacking midfield we could play Horse and Fryatt/Cadamateri. Fryatt showed signs of rediscovering his form and who knows what Cadamateri could do with a chance.

Do you live in Canade, if not excuse me, if you do how on earth do you know how much he runs.

i've seen him play for team canada and seen some old video from when he was with brampton i know he runs his socks off...but i will admit he should be playing as a attacking mid as that is his natural position but has has proved he can score as a forward he just needs to regain his confidence once he scores one he will start banging more in after that :thumbup:

You don't know until you try them but if not then that is surely where our priorities for signings should lie. To my mind at least three of our weaknesses have been apparent, not just to me but to everyone, for 18 months now and still nothing - or very little, is done.

We seem brilliant at finding workhorses for centre-midfield etc - and you always need such people - but we're not so good at finding footballers who are less mass produced. No wonder MM has swiftly earmarked the scouting system for an overhaul.

Well exactly, i have no arguments with you over that point. Like RK said recently, the scouting has been incredibly limited. Now we have financial backing and perhaps a revamped scouting system, I expect some more exciting players to arrive. Then i expect us to play attacking football on a more consistent basis.

How many teams in this league are of premiership standard 1 or 2 at a push so playing them twice a season is the equivalent of a few cup games. The rest are also rans and easily beatable if you set out with that in mind. You're exaggerating the problem.

How many teams in this league are of premiership standard 1 or 2 at a push so playing them twice a season is the equivalent of a few cup games. The rest are also rans and easily beatable if you set out with that in mind. You're exaggerating the problem.

No you've missed the point again. It's consistent attacking and winning football you want which we have shown in very small doses i.e the Fulham game you mentioned. BUT we don't have the quality in the squad to play at that high level each week, whereas teams like WBA, Derby, BRUM, Sunderland, have more quality players and can do so, hence the reason they are at the top and we are not.

Answer me this then, do you think our current squad are good enough and have enough individual class to play the kind of football you want each week?

No you've missed the point again. It's consistent attacking and winning football you want which we have shown in very small doses i.e the Fulham game you mentioned. BUT we don't have the quality in the squad to play at that high level each week, whereas teams like WBA, Derby, BRUM, Sunderland, have more quality players and can do so, hence the reason they are at the top and we are not.

Answer me this then, do you think our current squad are good enough and have enough individual class to play the kind of football you want each week?

We only lost to Fulham because we didn't sustain our attacking approach and because we instead allowed self-doubt and tactical indecision and negativity to creep in.

We showed how to defend properly against Ipswich from what I read - by pushing up tight right until the end.

With an attacking left-back like Sheehan or Mattock (bit young and nieve yet but we've little to lose) and attacking midfielders like Hume and King there's no reason we shouldn't sustain attacks consistently against anyone.

If those people don't establish a more positive pattern then we should find alternatives to strengthen those areas. I'm appalled its still a problem this far into the campaign because it should have been sorted long ago.

They don't have to as most of the teams are shite, you've mentioned the few teams where they would need to raise the stakes, I wouldn't even include Derby in there, but they are a good example of what can be achieved with the right approach and a modicum of talent.

Archived