Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Mike Newell is on his way !

I remember last season when he was close to coming everyone, including myself, were extremely excited about the propect of hom being our manager. However since that time Luton have plumeted playing awful football, he has proven what a narrow-minded **** he is and he has been sacked by a team near the bottom of the table.

We'd be much better looking at someone like Colin Calderwood or another young lower league manager.

Holy f**k, no.

Newell has been forced to sell Curtis Davies, Steve Howard, Rowan Vine, Kevin Nicholls and Carlos Edwards and not been able to replace them. What would O'Neill have been able to do if the board had told him he had to sell Elliott, Lennon, Heskey, Cottee and Izzet? It's no surprise they are where they are and you're effectively writing him off as a manager because Luton's board f**ked up somewhere along the way. He had a good record at Hartlepool and after getting Luton up, their first season in the Championship was comparable to Colchester this season. I'm not yet entirely convinced he is the right man for the job but to write him off is ludicrous. Luton played some great football last season.

As for Calderwood, where do I start? Took two and a half years to get Northampton promoted when they had the luxury of spending six figures on single players (£165,000 for Josh Low!). Oh and they were dull as ditchwater to watch as well. Plenty of dodgy 1-0 wins. Their new manager Stuart Gray is now showing him up, getting results with a limited squad and a couple of quality loanees up front. And now Calderwood is at Forest, grinding out the same dodgy 1-0s. He's had the most money in his division for three and a half years now and his teams have still been left for dust by the likes of Carlisle and S****horpe. He would be a disastrous appointment.

I wouldn't say I've sold the story, but I've certainly passed it on to main news agencies - expect it to be in at least 2 of the Sunday tabloids tomorrow and 1 'quality'(there is a 'payback', in terms of extra freelance work !). Why do you think I waited until 6.30 to post it on a fans forum - I was busy sending it on to the nationals !? But I am a City fan and I thought City supporters should know asap - and Foxestalk IS the best forum.

So why isnt it in any of the Sundays?

this is though!!

Derby boss Billy Davies will leave in the summer whether or not they get promoted because of tensions with managing director Mike Horton (various).

rather wait for that!!

seriously Mike Newell the blokes done very little except talked himself into trouble time and time again

Newell is a good boss.

He is a million times better than Kelly.

Give him a chance, at the end of the day Luton were a good side in this league when Howard, Edwards, Nicholls etc were playing for them and he was forced to sell these players.

It is the Luton board that fooked the club up.

Kelly Out!!!

Newell In!!! :thumbup:

I filed my story with both news agencies at 18:10; normally, copy deadline for the Sunday nationals is 19:00; so, I was surprised not to find anything, at least in the 2 'redtops' I expected it to be in (I've always managed to get stories in them, in the past). I contacted both agencies - apparently, because of the 5 Nations, all Sunday's had brought football deadlines forward by 30 minutes - the agencies placed my story at 18:45 - I missed the 'slot'.

A great pity - but don't despair, it's likely to be in one of the Daily's in the next couple of days - I have it from one Sports sub-editor that he plans to run it on Tuesday - the day after Mandaric's meeting with Newell. I think he wants to see if there are any outcomes - and (to be honest) to find out IF the meeting went ahead !

I filed my story with both news agencies at 18:10; normally, copy deadline for the Sunday nationals is 19:00; so, I was surprised not to find anything, at least in the 2 'redtops' I expected it to be in (I've always managed to get stories in them, in the past). I contacted both agencies - apparently, because of the 5 Nations, all Sunday's had brought football deadlines forward by 30 minutes - the agencies placed my story at 18:45 - I missed the 'slot'.

A great pity - but don't despair, it's likely to be in one of the Daily's in the next couple of days - I have it from one Sports sub-editor that he plans to run it on Tuesday - the day after Mandaric's meeting with Newell. I think he wants to see if there are any outcomes - and (to be honest) to find out IF the meeting went ahead !

Interesting...

Elvin King ??????

My Webpage

Ipswich Evening Star ???????

No I'm not Elvin - have you seen how old he is ?! When I cover Ipswich games (only away matches in the East Midlands or North Home Counties), I normally file the reports for the IES website and the 'Green 'Un' (the weekend Sports paper).

No I'm not Elvin - have you seen how old he is ?! When I cover Ipswich games (only away matches in the East Midlands or North Home Counties), I normally file the reports for the IES website and the 'Green 'Un' (the weekend Sports paper).

I followed the link to the Ipswich evening paper, presumably Outfox the Fox is the journalist who wrote the website story about the demo at the Luton game calling for their Board to go and Newell to be reinstated. In the papers today all the Luton reports are saying how upset their fans are with Newell going. I would have thought that's a good recommendation for MM and City.

if you live in ipswich why does your location say dunstaple... which is in luton/

Where do I say "I live in Ipswich" ? I said, I cover most of the Ipswich away games in the East Midlands and Northern Home Counties (Beds, Herts, Bucks, Oxon) - near where I live - DUNSTABLE (you're right there !). Elvin who lives just outside Ipswich, covers all their home matches. Honestly, some people (are 'reading' and 'comprehension' still in the national curriculum ?)!

I don't know about an interview on Monday - can't we have him as boss on Monday? I cannot see any reason to dwell on Kelly's departure.

Have you given up on that dynamic manager then Thracian? Or has the prospect of watching anything else under Kelly meant you will give anyone a go now?

You know darn well I'd love a dynamic manager - I've wanted one for long enough - but the dearth of candidates is frightening.

I've expressed my reservations about Newell but others have point some justifiable arguments the other way and I've always been convinced Newell can build a decent attacking team.

No, he'll never be dynamic as an individual. but I can cope with compromise if the football does him justice.

You're right that I can't cope with much more of Kelly. The only talent he seems to have is taking all joy out of the game.

I've mentioned others I like but practically speaking none seem likely to actually want the job.

Nor does it help that finding a lasting remedy for Leicester City's ills will be such a long job.

Hmmm, not sure about this. If Craig Levein's reign taught me anything it's not to get too optimistic about a new manager until we've properly seen what he can do.

I think it's one of those that could either be brilliant or disastrous. :|

Carlos Quieroz however you spell it,

has been under SAF for 10 years now (in between stints at Madrid)

if he wanted to go into management and milan made him a good offer i bet he'd take it.

BUT NOW ON A SERIOUS NOTE

The best Manager out there imho who would even be interested in coming to Leicester is Mike Newell no other manager of his calibre would come!

:laugh: That's got to be a contender for Manwell's Quote of the Week. It was only eight years ago they won the bloody European Cup and I didn't see Queiroz anywhere near the Nou Camp that night. The bloody assistant manager that night has managed to get a job at Middlesbrough, take them to the UEFA Cup Final and get the bloody England job since then!

As some of you will know I am a Lutonion, they are my (very distant) second team, and think I think I have a fairly good understanding on what sort of manager Newell is.

Firstly those of you asking if he plays attractive football. His Luton sides have not been total football, the main stays have been a bullyign central midfield player (Nicholls) and a lump of a target man (Howard). Having said that he does cater for creative flair players, particuarly in wide positions, Carlos Edwards and Ahrmet Brkovic being obvious examples, both of which blossomed under his tutorship.

The "lets play a team full of 17 year olds" brigade will be pleased to know he has helped develop many players into the Luton first team. Curtis Davies being the most succesful. He has also given lesser players extended runs such as Leon Barnett, Keith Keane and Kevin Foley. To what extent this has been out of financial necessity rather than a belief in these players is obviously guesswork.

I personally think his two greatest strengths are in the transfer market and getting the best out of his players. He has turned round the careers of previously average league one journeymen such as Nicholls and Howard and managed to get 1.7 million for the pair, a few years ago he would have been lucky to get £1.70. In the transfer market he has consistently had to replace his best players with little or no money, the best bargin buy being Carlos Edwards. He also took McSheffery on loan before he could get a game for cooventry, plucked the comical Enoch Showumni from amatuer football and built a Championship standard team out of nothing.

People will not like his attitude. He is very monotonic and can come across as moody. Those saying he speaks his mind may be correct, but if crass sexism is what is in his mind is this really a good thing? Having said that his complaints about the Luton board have been spot on and most appreciate his sentiment on bungs.

Newell comes with baggage and some may see him as a losing manager due to Luton's current league position. All I can say is that when he took over Luton they were languishing in the lower echelons of League 1. Despite losing a list of players as impressive as McSheffery, Davies, Boyce, Nicholls and Howard (amongst others), he was able to not only gain promotion but establish them as a Championship side. He is not a guarentee of success, if there is such thing, but he certainly has some things going for him. I would support his appointmnet.

Archived