Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Mike Newell is on his way !

This is my first post. I am a freelance journalist (and also a City fan of longstanding - but one who has never 'signed up to any Forums - until now !).

Today, I was covering the Luton v Ipswich game for the Ipswich evening paper - and had chance to talk to Brian Stein (the Luton caretaker manager) immediately after the game. We obviously mainly talked about the Kenilworth Road triumph for the Tractor Boys; but Stein 'let slip' an amazing comment about Mike Newell (who he is still very close to) - apparently Mandaric contacted Newell yesterday (Friday) and has set up a meeting with him on Monday (at an unknown location) TO DISCUSS THE CITY MANAGERS JOB. Stein told me that Newell is uncertain if that means that Mandaric wants to discuss an IMMEDIATE offer - or one in the Summer. Mandaric did say though, that Rob Kelly's job is "on the line - depending on results" - and implying that today's game with QPR was "crucial" !

I've only just seen the City result (I've just filed my Ipswich match report), but I would think Mandaric is a busy man tonight, weighing up his options !

I don't particularly like Mr. Newell's attitude. He seems to be a 'suit manager'. One who will just wear a suit and does a business type job. I much prefer a manager who wears a tracksuit and goes crazy when his team scores, one who can interact with the fans and one who likes to win at any cost; dirty or attractive football.

Therefore, Mike Newell is certainly a no-go.

For some reason Stuart Pearce springs to mind.

Do Luton play attractive football?

They did before their board sold off half their team.

I'm not sure Newell could do any more with the dross we had today, though..

The only thing Newell would bring to Leicester is media coverage. Him and his stupid outbursts are ridiculous and if it wasn't for this, i'd be slightly interested in him comnig here.

Would there be anywhere for him to lean against in the dugout?

I'll not be buying into this rumour - like any other - until there's something approaching a reliable source. Some mystery guy doesn't cut it in my book.

That said, I'd take Newell - he's an ballsy honest man who commands respect in a changing room. He is someone who believes in effort and strives for success.

What happened to him at Luton was nothing short of a disgrace...and their board copped a barrow load of shit from the fans today.

If he is presented to us at some point over the next 2 weeks as the new gaffer I'll skip around The Bullring in the nude with a flower in my teeth...

I don't particularly like Mr. Newell's attitude. He seems to be a 'suit manager'. One who will just wear a suit and does a business type job. I much prefer a manager who wears a tracksuit and goes crazy when his team scores, one who can interact with the fans and one who likes to win at any cost; dirty or attractive football.

Therefore, Mike Newell is certainly a no-go.

For some reason Stuart Pearce springs to mind.

i would be pleased if we got pearce

i think he is definately suitable

:thumbup:

Newell did do a good job at Luton but didn't get much support from the board, he brought in players like: Edwards & vine and sold them for quadruple what he played for them but didn't get any money from the bored to spend.

He also got underachieving players like Howard to start scoring and now look at him banging the goals in at derby, with money and support from the board i see Newell becoming a successful manager

I was told by a none Leicester fan today to expect to see Mike Newell at Leicester very soon. I hope it's true, regardless of Luton's position in the table Newell is a good manager, their downfall is due to the board's decision to sell basically their whole team. Newell was royally ****ed around by the Luton the board. I personally think Newell is the man the job, I’ve said the same when Levein went. He would certainly be 1million times better than Kelly. Milan should act now, no time for messing around.

I'll not be buying into this rumour - like any other - until there's something approaching a reliable source. Some mystery guy doesn't cut it in my book.

That said, I'd take Newell - he's an ballsy honest man who commands respect in a changing room. He is someone who believes in effort and strives for success.

What happened to him at Luton was nothing short of a disgrace...and their board copped a barrow load of shit from the fans today.

If he is presented to us at some point over the next 2 weeks as the new gaffer I'll skip around The Bullring in the nude with a flower in my teeth...

Exactly. :thumbup:

No source so can't read much into this but before he was forced to sell his key assets Luton did play some decent football.

I thought that was down to the Luton board.

That's exactly what was reported on 5live this morning during an interview with their Chief Exec.

The board sold the players in order to "balance the books" - they are releasing their full accounts on Monday for the supporters to inspect.

Archived