Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Mike Newell is on his way !

I'd take him. He's done an exellent job at Luton especially consedering the circumstances. And besides, I really cant see anyone else on the market that'll be considered "worthy" for Leicester City.

I don't think you can totally judge a manager before they get to the club really. Just look at Dowie... <_<

New manager syndrome.

Look at Rob Kelly here last season when he first was in charge.

As some of you will know I am a Lutonion, they are my (very distant) second team, and think I think I have a fairly good understanding on what sort of manager Newell is.

Firstly those of you asking if he plays attractive football. His Luton sides have not been total football, the main stays have been a bullyign central midfield player (Nicholls) and a lump of a target man (Howard). Having said that he does cater for creative flair players, particuarly in wide positions, Carlos Edwards and Ahrmet Brkovic being obvious examples, both of which blossomed under his tutorship.

The "lets play a team full of 17 year olds" brigade will be pleased to know he has helped develop many players into the Luton first team. Curtis Davies being the most succesful. He has also given lesser players extended runs such as Leon Barnett, Keith Keane and Kevin Foley. To what extent this has been out of financial necessity rather than a belief in these players is obviously guesswork.

I personally think his two greatest strengths are in the transfer market and getting the best out of his players. He has turned round the careers of previously average league one journeymen such as Nicholls and Howard and managed to get 1.7 million for the pair, a few years ago he would have been lucky to get £1.70. In the transfer market he has consistently had to replace his best players with little or no money, the best bargin buy being Carlos Edwards. He also took McSheffery on loan before he could get a game for cooventry, plucked the comical Enoch Showumni from amatuer football and built a Championship standard team out of nothing.

People will not like his attitude. He is very monotonic and can come across as moody. Those saying he speaks his mind may be correct, but if crass sexism is what is in his mind is this really a good thing? Having said that his complaints about the Luton board have been spot on and most appreciate his sentiment on bungs.

Newell comes with baggage and some may see him as a losing manager due to Luton's current league position. All I can say is that when he took over Luton they were languishing in the lower echelons of League 1. Despite losing a list of players as impressive as McSheffery, Davies, Boyce, Nicholls and Howard (amongst others), he was able to not only gain promotion but establish them as a Championship side. He is not a guarentee of success, if there is such thing, but he certainly has some things going for him. I would support his appointmnet.

Also, he had to sell Rowan Vine. Another good purchase he made. :thumbup:

Also, he had to sell Rowan Vine. Another good purchase he made. :thumbup:

I dont think there is much question on Newells potential as a good manager as he has managed to get Luton promoted from the lower leagues and has done well with his transfer deals and Luton dont play bad football. However, he not only has turned us down twice, he has proved time after time to attract bad press and cant control himself in the media. If he isnt having a pop at female Lino`s he is attacking his own board publically and openly having a pop at managers (although the go he had at Dennis Midget Wise was OK lol!). I also hope that the fans arent praying for him to come in because anything is better than RK! If we wait, Im sure there are better options. Get Keegan or Hoddle in!

I would like to see Mike Newell here, but one thing I'm noticing about managers these days is that they're often only as good as their assistant, like that guy that I think left Colchester to go somewhere else, didn't do too well but his assistant went on to do even better than him at Colchester. I think it was Colchester...

Anyway, my point is, I'd take Mike Newell, give him the financial backing he deserves and get in the right backroom staff as a whole.

Luton last season and early this season before the mass sales played some very attractive positive football. If you judge him off recent times of course he is going to have his team more defencive as because;

A - He lost his best attacking players and was given no money to replace them. How can you replace vine, Howard, Edwards, Nicholls with loan deals and frees?

B - His team needs every point so draws are needed for them to stay up.

For me if he comes in and is given some money he will take us up. He's a good young manager and i feel he is the best of the current candidates.

As some of you will know I am a Lutonion, they are my (very distant) second team, and think I think I have a fairly good understanding on what sort of manager Newell is.

Firstly those of you asking if he plays attractive football. His Luton sides have not been total football, the main stays have been a bullyign central midfield player (Nicholls) and a lump of a target man (Howard). Having said that he does cater for creative flair players, particuarly in wide positions, Carlos Edwards and Ahrmet Brkovic being obvious examples, both of which blossomed under his tutorship.

The "lets play a team full of 17 year olds" brigade will be pleased to know he has helped develop many players into the Luton first team. Curtis Davies being the most succesful. He has also given lesser players extended runs such as Leon Barnett, Keith Keane and Kevin Foley. To what extent this has been out of financial necessity rather than a belief in these players is obviously guesswork.

I personally think his two greatest strengths are in the transfer market and getting the best out of his players. He has turned round the careers of previously average league one journeymen such as Nicholls and Howard and managed to get 1.7 million for the pair, a few years ago he would have been lucky to get £1.70. In the transfer market he has consistently had to replace his best players with little or no money, the best bargin buy being Carlos Edwards. He also took McSheffery on loan before he could get a game for cooventry, plucked the comical Enoch Showumni from amatuer football and built a Championship standard team out of nothing.

People will not like his attitude. He is very monotonic and can come across as moody. Those saying he speaks his mind may be correct, but if crass sexism is what is in his mind is this really a good thing? Having said that his complaints about the Luton board have been spot on and most appreciate his sentiment on bungs.

Newell comes with baggage and some may see him as a losing manager due to Luton's current league position. All I can say is that when he took over Luton they were languishing in the lower echelons of League 1. Despite losing a list of players as impressive as McSheffery, Davies, Boyce, Nicholls and Howard (amongst others), he was able to not only gain promotion but establish them as a Championship side. He is not a guarentee of success, if there is such thing, but he certainly has some things going for him. I would support his appointmnet.

Said something incredibly similar myself in a differnt thread.

The only question mark for me is, was it the Luton board or Mike Newell he though the squad didn't need strengthing this January?

He certainly is. Mandaric would be a fool not to try and get him now.

I think MM will not consider him, not enough experience at this level let alone prem level. Also, Newell is abit of a 'rebel' and pseaks his mind too much, MM will want someone he can control and add his influence to!!

I think MM will not consider him, not enough experience at this level let alone prem level. Also, Newell is abit of a 'rebel' and pseaks his mind too much, MM will want someone he can control and add his influence to!!

I'm sorry Singh but I don't agree, Luton only just fell short of the play-offs last season on limited resources. Newell has an eye for player and would build a good attacking team. Ok he said a few controversial things but he only said what most people thought anyway. I think a relationship between MM and Newell would be completely different.

I'm sorry Singh but I don't agree, Luton only just fell short of the play-offs last season on limited resources. Newell has an eye for player and would build a good attacking team. Ok he said a few controversial things but he only said what most people thought anyway. I think a relationship between MM and Newell would be completely different.

If there was chioce between Newell and RK, it would be Newell anyday, but I don't see MM comming in for him, only time will tell!!!

I agree. Newell built up a team with very little. Club forced him to sell unlike some rubbish on here that he is a selling manager! Who the hell is a selling manager unless to improve the team? He would get this club in the premiership in a year.

And also a side note, a lot of Blackburn fans want him as Hughes replacement if and wehn he leaves. And i pretty much agree one season and we will be up, if not two, he has a eye for a good player and for me if given this job he could take us up.

The point for me is who will we get other than him with Champ exp and Prem exp. The only two can think of had been picked up already this eason and thats Dowie and Mick at Wolves. Of course the more so dream manager would be Pardrew but if he left Charlton at the end of the season he'd easiyl get a job in the prem.

And also a side note, a lot of Blackburn fans want him as Hughes replacement if and wehn he leaves. And i pretty much agree one season and we will be up, if not two, he has a eye for a good player and for me if given this job he could take us up.

The point for me is who will we get other than him with Champ exp and Prem exp. The only two can think of had been picked up already this eason and thats Dowie and Mick at Wolves. Of course the more so dream manager would be Pardrew but if he left Charlton at the end of the season he'd easiyl get a job in the prem.

I had a horrible thought the other day when Nordern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez was interviewed and was talking about missing the day to day stuff of club football. Hopefully thats not the type of manager that MM is looking for.

Sanchez has done well with Northern Ireland, not sure about how he did at his club level. Wasn;t he the ex Wimbledon manager?

For me he has the calibar to be the manager after ghe proved he can take a average bunch of players and make them into a tough side to beat. Maybe with money and better quality players could do something...

But then again the dream manager.....Gramae Souness :Dlol j/k

I've had enough of the tough side to beat philosophy.

Any idiot can get a gang of Jack Russell Terriers together and be hard to beat.

I'd like a manager who is focused on one thing only - building a winning team.

One which other teams worry about instead of one which first concerns itself with worrying about the opposition.

In other words one that is fast to win the ball but can play a bit when it does so.

Right - but you said anyone can make a team hard to beat.

That's not true - look at all the teams getting beat pretty much week in, week out.

It's an undervalued skill.

Having said that, I'd agree it's not what we need right now, we need more of a goalscoring threat.

That means an entire new midfield. A kick up the ar se for the ones in midfield I'd keep (Porter and well.. probably just Porter) and getting shot of Elvis Hammond.

Right - but you said anyone can make a team hard to beat.

That's not true - look at all the teams getting beat pretty much week in, week out.

It's an undervalued skill.

Having said that, I'd agree it's not what we need right now, we need more of a goalscoring threat.

That means an entire new midfield. A kick up the ar se for the ones in midfield I'd keep (Porter and well.. probably just Porter) and getting shot of Elvis Hammond.

Or getting Elvis Hammond shot? :ph34r:

My initial reaction was negative as far Newell is concerned, I just didn't feel any excitement when I heard about the rumoured meeting with Mandaric. But after learning a bit more about what's gone on at Luton this season and about the man himself I think that, realistically, he is currently the most viable option.

He's certainly outspoken and on a non-footballing note together with Mandaric I like the thought of having a bit of character around the club, something we haven't seen even a glimmer of since the O'Neill days.

Archived