Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
XFS

Mattock and England through to Euro Finals

An ecstatic John Peacock was bubbling after his young charges snatched qualification to the European Championships with just minutes remaining.

Knowing they needed to beat Serbia to book a place in May's showpiece event, England were on course when Tristan Plummer's cross was diverted into the net by a Serbian defender in the 44th minute.

But the Three Lions were dealt a crushing blow when Goran Smiljanovic equalised three minutes later.

With English hopes fading as the seconds ticked by, Manchester United youngster Danny Welbeck rose highest in the 79th minute to head home Nathan Porritt's corner and send England through to the European Championships.

"The players are all delighted," said Peacock. "There were so many emotions when the goal went in. We had to try and keep calm and defend well. But credit to the players. They kept their focus as they have all week. To win all three games, away from home - we have to be extremely pleased.

"We passed the ball really well in the first half. I told the players to do the same in the second half and the goal would come. It did, but we conceded a poor goal within minutes."

Peacock insisted that England were full value as group winners.

"We fully deserved it," he said. "The Serbs were very gracious in defeat, but it would have been a complete injustice had we not qualified. We were the best footballing side in the group. We won all three games, scoring eight and conceding just one. We did make it hard for ourselves at times though."

The draw for the European Championships, which will be held in Belgium, will take place next week. There, England will be placed in one of two groups of four with the winners and runners-up going through to the Semi-Finals.

"It's my understanding that the top-five teams will go through to the World Championships in Korea," said Peacock. "That has to be our objective. We have a decent set of players, but I don't want to look too far ahead until the draw is made."

Until then, Peacock said he might indulge in a celebratory beer.

"I have had one most nights, although I might push the boat out tonight and have two."

England: Amos - Manchester United, Ofori-Twumasi - Chelsea (74, Porritt - Middlesbrough), Mattock - Leicester City, Spence - West Ham United, Smith - Ipswich Town, Lansbury - Arsenal (64, Franks - Middlesbrough), Woods - Chelsea, Welbeck - Manchester United, Plummer - Bristol City (83, Taiwo - Chelsea), Murphy - Arsenal, Rose - Leeds United.

Oh just read that Moses got sent off in the previous game.

Also that Mattock got subbed in the same game after a bad tackle on him which meant he had to go for an X-ray. Seems that he still played the full 90 last night though.

From the little of the Academy that I've seen, he looks the best player at the club pound-for-pound in terms of his age.

Oh just read that Moses got sent off in the previous game.

Also that Mattock got subbed in the same game after a bad tackle on him which meant he had to go for an X-ray. Seems that he still played the full 90 last night though.

From the little of the Academy that I've seen, he looks the best player at the club pound-for-pound in terms of his age.

Absolutely. He's not even 17 yet and he's probably not far off the first team, if Kelly would dare to risk any of them.

I saw him when he had only just turned 15 for the reserves against Chelsea and he was too much for them, which is a feat in itself at whatever age even only at reserve level.

We might aswell bring him on for Nils a few times now we're not going up or down.

It's only going to help him and give him a bit of experience going into next season (and also alert League1/2 clubs about signing him on loan)

Any other manager would, but no we have the one manager who won't do it :rolleyes:

What is he? Left back or central defender???

He's also a very decent left winger. I am pretty certain that whoever our manager will be in the next season or so might have reservations about playing both Mattock and Porter together, so i'm not sure where he'd establish himself at. Left back is his best position, so hopefully there.

I've been reading up on the Under 17 Championships and there's an Icelandic striker called Kolbeinn Sigthorsson who is fookin devastating. He's scoring for fun at that level, I think I read that there's about 20 clubs after him. He's in the same team and another striker who we were meant to sign last summer Aaron Palomares or something like that?.

I've been reading up on the Under 17 Championships and there's an Icelandic striker called Kolbeinn Sigthorsson who is fookin devastating. He's scoring for fun at that level, I think I read that there's about 20 clubs after him. He's in the same team and another striker who we were meant to sign last summer Aaron Palomares or something like that?.

Oh yeah, what the fook happened to him? :unsure:

I think this good bye Nils business is stupid. He is a really consistent player and would make as good a centre back as Kisnorbo.

I disagree with playing Mattock in the team before the age of 18/19. He should like Gradel get some bench experience and maybe 10-15 minutes in occasional games.

Love to hear a chant for him!! lol

I think this good bye Nils business is stupid. He is a really consistent player and would make as good a centre back as Kisnorbo.

I disagree with playing Mattock in the team before the age of 18/19. He should like Gradel get some bench experience and maybe 10-15 minutes in occasional games.

He is consistent but as a LB he doesn't/can't support the attack in an effective way and for a CB I think he's far too slow, slower than McAuley I reckon. I wouldn't want a pairing of MaCauley and Johansson :o at CB.

He is consistent but as a LB he doesn't/can't support the attack in an effective way and for a CB I think he's far too slow, slower than McAuley I reckon. I wouldn't want a pairing of MaCauley and Johansson :o at CB.

Nah we'll just play deep, park them on the 18 yard line :thumbup::P

Absolutely. He's not even 17 yet and he's probably not far off the first team, if Kelly would dare to risk any of them.

I saw him when he had only just turned 15 for the reserves against Chelsea and he was too much for them, which is a feat in itself at whatever age even only at reserve level.

I reckon once we`ve cobbled enough points together to ensure safety we may see a few youngsters blooded !

Nils is a solid enough squad player but he has yet to sign a new contract so its good to have a back-up plan. I`d go as far as play Mattock ahead of Nils for teh rest of the season if Nils doesnt commit his future to the club.

Archived