Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

Robert Kelly

Personally this is my assesment of Rob Kelly.

First of all I think sacking him was the right thing to do at this present time. Manadaric had to act and act he certainly did. I think bringing in somebody like Nigel Worthington is also a wise option for the time being.

We all know Kelly's team selections were baffling and extremely poor at times and possibly he didn't have the enthusiasm of the players at most times. This he cannot be defended for.

There are things though that are out of his hands. He had no money whatsoever to spend which makes life very hard for a Championship manager. It's not easy to find a good quality player who is not wanted by his club and other clubs for little money. In a way I feel sorry for Kelly in this respect.

The quality of players he had in this squad was not good at all. I'm not sure how he was supposed to make us into a playoff pushing team to be honest. Right from the start of this season I never expected anything and thought we'd finish mid-lower table.

For these points raised I do think he has been harshly treated by fans at times when he has clearly not had the resources he needs to make us into anything we should be. I'd like to thank him for the job he did last season when I thought we looked doomed to relegation and wish him well for the future.

He should have generated the resources like any number of other managers. He could have sold Stearman or Kisnorbo for a start and while there were indications that either sale would have been unpopular with fans he was in the hot seat to back his own judgement not other peoples.

Some damned good managers have had to sell and buy throughout their careers and if Kelly was too uncertain to make such decisions then there's no point anyone grumbling about him having no money.

I don't for a minute believe he would have sold and bought well enough to have produced a play-off push but he might have done enough to lift us into mid table.

Also he could have saved the wasted wages on people like Low, Kenton, Johnson and probably even Logan the way things worked out plus loanees like Yeates, Horsfield, Cadamarteri and done far better with the total outlay.

It's easy to be wise afterwards but good judgement of potential players is a big part of being a successful manager, as is using the loan system.

Personally this is my assesment of Rob Kelly.

First of all I think sacking him was the right thing to do at this present time. Manadaric had to act and act he certainly did. I think bringing in somebody like Nigel Worthington is also a wise option for the time being.

We all know Kelly's team selections were baffling and extremely poor at times and possibly he didn't have the enthusiasm of the players at most times. This he cannot be defended for.

There are things though that are out of his hands. He had no money whatsoever to spend which makes life very hard for a Championship manager. It's not easy to find a good quality player who is not wanted by his club and other clubs for little money. In a way I feel sorry for Kelly in this respect.

The quality of players he had in this squad was not good at all. I'm not sure how he was supposed to make us into a playoff pushing team to be honest. Right from the start of this season I never expected anything and thought we'd finish mid-lower table.

For these points raised I do think he has been harshly treated by fans at times when he has clearly not had the resources he needs to make us into anything we should be. I'd like to thank him for the job he did last season when I thought we looked doomed to relegation and wish him well for the future.

Seconded, I still don't think he's half as bad as CL. But this season its not been good enough. And when Leicester fans turn on the manager then its game over no matter what the chairman or players do.

I wish the people who didn't like Kelly didn't reply to this thread, the THANK Kelly thread. If (on this thread anyway) you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a wet one :rolleyes:

He deserves thanks for his part in keeping us up. He also needs to get himself back to basics and have a good think about what he wants to stand for as a football coach and manager.

Agree. He definitely had the will but seemingly not the way with events playing out the way they did. In better circumstances he may have had some success but unfortunately we weren't in a position to gamble on it. Good luck for the future Rob.

He deserves thanks for his part in keeping us up. He also needs to get himself back to basics and have a good think about what he wants to stand for as a football coach and manager.

Funnily enough, that was his philosophy when he took the job initially. :ph34r:

Personally I can't see why MM took so long to sack him when there are some obviously better qualified people frequenting these boards.

Whatever the paper status of anyone on here, Kelly's performance was hardly an advert for qualifications.

Thank you Rob for being a great manager who saved us from Relegation last season and who did his best in a season where we have really struggled for money and for a whole heap of other things...;)

Perhaps now is a good time for you to take a break and assess what the coaching style is that you want though, as it seems over the last few months it all went a bit haywire.

I hope you can come back stronger than ever and wish you all the best for the future, we will remember you for the good Rob... not the bad... ;)

He'll always be a legend in my eyes for saving us last season. This club would have been totally screwed if we'd gone down, so for that, Rob, I salute you. :worship:

judging on the performances this season I think last seasons escape from relegation was totally down to player attitude after Leveins departure and nothing to do with Rob Kelly whatsoever.

judging on the performances this season I think last seasons escape from relegation was totally down to player attitude after Leveins departure and nothing to do with Rob Kelly whatsoever.

In that case, we must blame the players entirely for the mess that has been our last two seasons.

If they had the right attitude to begin with, they wouldn't have languished so low in the table... Craig Levein wouldn't have been sacked, and Rob Kelly wouldn't have been promoted to Manager.

It's all the players fault. :thumbup:

In that case, we must blame the players entirely for the mess that has been our last two seasons.

If they had the right attitude to begin with, they wouldn't have languished so low in the table... Craig Levein wouldn't have been sacked, and Rob Kelly wouldn't have been promoted to Manager.

It's all the players fault. :thumbup:

we'll never know, but yes, I think it is largely the players at fault, in terms of quality and effort. We see in the fa cup each year how lower league teams with substantially poorer squads can topple the giants proving that hard work and organisation can go a long way. You need a strong leader and team players with good mentalities, I don't think we've had either for a couple of years now

I noticed reading The Blue Army that Maybury and AJ want some of the blame for Kelly's sacking? Means they want to go as well?

Andy Johnson agreed, saying: "I think we did let him down.says the caviar-sized-brain

I noticed reading The Blue Army that Maybury and AJ want some of the blame for Kelly's sacking? Means they want to go as well?

Andy Johnson agreed, saying: "I think we did let him down.says the caviar-sized-brain

Two of the Leicester City squad admitted today that the players had to take some of the responsibility for Robert Kelly's sacking after the poor run of results.

Alan Maybury said: "It is always disappointing when a manager leaves the club and this is the second time I've gone through it here.

"But, as players, we have to take responsibility. The manager sets us up and puts us out there but it is on the pitch that it counts.

"Of late, our performances and results have not been good enough."

Andy Johnson agreed, saying: "I think we did let him down.

"I think Rob prepared us in every way he could. We as a squad should take some responsibility.

"Nigel Worthington has come in and it's been very positive right from the off. We are all looking forward to the game tomorrow. We can't affect what's happened.

"We have let ourselves down in recent weeks.

"We need to get back to winning ways."

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?b...6269754|p|536|0

I still sorry for Kelly for having to deal with this muck. True he brought in AJ and Horsefield but good god, all of these players need to wake up not get a buzz. The way they talk, we're heading for a certain defeat.

I wish all thhe players would shut up and just concentrate on doing what they are here for - improving their ability and winning football matches.

Agreed, but Thracian there are many that will believe the crap they spout!!! Rk has been given a years salary, why feel sad, and these so called pro footballers get paid win\lose or draw, abit of sincerety and realism would do a whole load of good, rather them spouting trpie to make yourselves look good!!

Whatever the paper status of anyone on here, Kelly's performance was hardly an advert for qualifications.

Hindsight being a wonderful thing, when all is said and done it was a disaster waiting to happen, there are very few fairy tales in sport anymore, no matter how much we wanted it, an unproven manager/coach at this level was doesn't cut it anymore. Good on you Rob for allowing us to believe albeit short lived, for keeping us up last season and giving us fuel to comment and voice our opinions for another season. Personally....bring on Coleman.

Agreed, but Thracian there are many that will believe the crap they spout!!! Rk has been given a years salary, why feel sad, and these so called pro footballers get paid win\lose or draw, abit of sincerety and realism would do a whole load of good, rather them spouting trpie to make yourselves look good!!

That year's salary is the rub really. And it happens in other industries and in Local Government. Joe Soap can slave himself to an early grave, be really useful, productive and conscientious and all he'll get is an arsehole of a Chancellor grabbing chunks of any bit he might have carefully saved one way or another.

But no matter how badly a Local Government officer performs, or a business executive or our beloved football managers, there's always the golden handshake and almost certainly another job waiting in the wings. It's an inequality I think is disgusting.

There is always something indecent about rewarding failure or shoddiness when others just get shat on.

That year's salary is the rub really. And it happens in other industries and in Local Government. Joe Soap can slave himself to an early grave, be really useful, productive and conscientious and all he'll get is an arsehole of a Chancellor grabbing chunks of any bit he might have carefully saved one way or another.

But no matter how badly a Local Government officer performs, or a business executive or our beloved football managers, there's always the golden handshake and almost certainly another job waiting in the wings. It's an inequality I think is disgusting.

There is always something indecent about rewarding failure or shoddiness when others just get shat on.

It is disgusting agreed but unfortunately all entirely relative.

Whenever a manager leaves a football club, a few players always come out and say they feel partly to blame, beacause 99% of the time when a gaffer leaves its not 100% his fault, this was the case with rob, he wasn't brilliant but most of the players are crap!

Whenever a manager leaves a football club, a few players always come out and say they feel partly to blame, beacause 99% of the time when a gaffer leaves its not 100% his fault, this was the case with rob, he wasn't brilliant but most of the players are crap!

True, true, although it's his job to get the best out of them or get the right players in, on both accounts I'm afraid he failed.

The simple fact of the matter is that the club in it's entirety has been a shambles for years.

Not having a pot to p*ss in means that everything has been a compromise. This goes right from managerial appointments to purchasing of players.

The bottom line is that mediocrity has been the standard in all aspects of the club and as we all know, you can't polish a turd.

That's not to say that Kelly is absolved of any responsibility for our current position - I'm glad to see him gone.

Milan's arrival will hopefully see an end to the mediocrity in all areas of the club.

C'mon Leicester!!!

:thumbsup: :fox: :thumbsup:

Archived