Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Original_Champions

The day after the night before....

I visited this forum yesterday completely expecting a comfortable win and gave my forecast of 3-0. After-all we were only playing a team from the bottom of the table, who had not won in 10 games - surely a formality! Come on, this is football, when will fans ever learn!

I turned up to the game, as usual, took my seat and waited for the players to wipe your team away with fast passing football and plenty of passion, after-all we are a play-off team and surely the players would want to cement their place in the top 6 for the end of season excitement? Fair enough, Leicester also had plenty to play for because they would not want to be going into the last 2 games of the season needing to pick up results although with that in mind, surely two teams with plenty to play for and motivation at its paramount heights, it would then come down to the better team with the better players and considering Preston have been in the top 6 all season and Leicester in the abyss then there had to be only one winner? - oh and on top of all that, Preston have the 2nd best home record in the whole of the division.

The game them started and reality soon hit home. Leicester City want this so so much, their players are playing with so much passion and commitment and they are playing the better football, the balls into Hume and Fryatt are sticking up front and they are linking play really well. The man-marking of Nugent is stifling his game and the aggressive tackling is even taking Callum Davidson out of the game! "Come on Preston, wake up" are the cries from the terraces, as we begin to become frustrated with what we are seeing "How much do you want this?". Over the top of the moans and groans of many Preston fans can be heard the constant support of the fabulous Leicester fans, who have turned up to give it one last go. The support was constant and I mean constant, possibly the best this season. They say in times of adversity that people can pull together more (seems to be the British way) and that was proven by the Leicester fans. Your players must have heard the support and this appeared to drive them on to make that extra tackle or to run that extra yard, that certainly made the difference.

"pfffffff. Preston haven't turned up!" I watched in dismay as we seem to throw away another chance of potential promotion, following on from our last home game against Southend, we are 2nd best to a team struggling at the bottom. Half time came and the cheerleaders make an appearance and I walk to meet my brother to discuss the first half. "this is garbage, why can't we pass the ball?" we chatted and looked at the areas that we need to improve on and walked back to our seats with the hope that we would get better in the 2nd half. (generally all season we have come out stronger in the 2nd half of games).

The 2nd half began and not much had changed, we tried to get our passing game going and began to find the feet of Nugent, who was being followed around like Nicole Ritchie following Paris Hilton! Nugent just couldn't shake off his marker and his frustration began to boil over. The one time he did get free, a last ditch block robbed him of a certain goal. Leicester continued to harry and press and the excellent Hume led the line with much character. The Leicester fans continued with their great backing of their team and with 10 minutes to go the Leicester players seemed to be pushing more for the win and the doubts began to sit in, deep down the Preston fans knew what was coming, our team are masters at throwing away last minute goals of late and when it did come, hoards of people left shaking their heads with dismay. Maybe we have become over expectant in our team and club or maybe we have just become fed up of throwing away our many chances of making the step up. It would be great for our club to go up and lay some stronger foundations and return to the top flight for the first time in over 45 years, although many of us worry that we may just have gone and done it again - bottled it. People walked away from the ground questioning why the players didn't match the desire of the Leciester players, 'why no passion?' 'why couldn't we create anything?' In life you have to work for what you earn and Leicester earned that win using everything they could do. Of course there was the usual time wasting and players dropping down every 10 minutes to break up the pattern of play although this wasn't the reason why Preston lost and Leicester won.

As fans you have to live in hope and have belief until the end and I know I will try to remain in that frame of mind because as we all know this league has had more twists than Prison Break and Lost put together and maybe there could be many more to come.

The overall assessment:

It pains me to say that Leicester wanted it far more than Preston, their fans seemed to want it more, the City tackling and pressing was played at an intense level and their standard of football was higher - definitely a fair result.

All the best.

didnt go to the game but thanks for the positivity. i was so happy when i hear skills eric scored an 90th minute winner whilst driving to the missus house. going mad beeping the horn through birstall, must of woke a few oaps up :) good luck in the play offs either way.

Thanks for coming on here and making such a detailed assessment of the game after what must have been quite a painful afternoon for you lot. I couldn't get to go myself but it sounds as if at last our lads are showing a bit of passion for the cause and we got a thoroughly deserved three points. Good luck in your playoff push.

Good accurate account of the game, we all had a great day, nice ground, I'll look forward to go when the 4th side is complete, good atmosphere and the last minute winner topped it all off. I'll certainly be supporting you in the play-offs :thumbup:

Well done for coming on here after what must of been a frustrating defeat for you lot. Good luck in the play-offs. I'm sure we would all love it if you could beat Derby there. :thumbup:

I visited this forum yesterday completely expecting a comfortable win and gave my forecast of 3-0. After-all we were only playing a team from the bottom of the table, who had not won in 10 games - surely a formality! Come on, this is football, when will fans ever learn!

I turned up to the game, as usual, took my seat and waited for the players to wipe your team away with fast passing football and plenty of passion, after-all we are a play-off team and surely the players would want to cement their place in the top 6 for the end of season excitement? Fair enough, Leicester also had plenty to play for because they would not want to be going into the last 2 games of the season needing to pick up results although with that in mind, surely two teams with plenty to play for and motivation at its paramount heights, it would then come down to the better team with the better players and considering Preston have been in the top 6 all season and Leicester in the abyss then there had to be only one winner? - oh and on top of all that, Preston have the 2nd best home record in the whole of the division.

The game them started and reality soon hit home. Leicester City want this so so much, their players are playing with so much passion and commitment and they are playing the better football, the balls into Hume and Fryatt are sticking up front and they are linking play really well. The man-marking of Nugent is stifling his game and the aggressive tackling is even taking Callum Davidson out of the game! "Come on Preston, wake up" are the cries from the terraces, as we begin to become frustrated with what we are seeing "How much do you want this?". Over the top of the moans and groans of many Preston fans can be heard the constant support of the fabulous Leicester fans, who have turned up to give it one last go. The support was constant and I mean constant, possibly the best this season. They say in times of adversity that people can pull together more (seems to be the British way) and that was proven by the Leicester fans. Your players must have heard the support and this appeared to drive them on to make that extra tackle or to run that extra yard, that certainly made the difference.

"pfffffff. Preston haven't turned up!" I watched in dismay as we seem to throw away another chance of potential promotion, following on from our last home game against Southend, we are 2nd best to a team struggling at the bottom. Half time came and the cheerleaders make an appearance and I walk to meet my brother to discuss the first half. "this is garbage, why can't we pass the ball?" we chatted and looked at the areas that we need to improve on and walked back to our seats with the hope that we would get better in the 2nd half. (generally all season we have come out stronger in the 2nd half of games).

The 2nd half began and not much had changed, we tried to get our passing game going and began to find the feet of Nugent, who was being followed around like Nicole Ritchie following Paris Hilton! Nugent just couldn't shake off his marker and his frustration began to boil over. The one time he did get free, a last ditch block robbed him of a certain goal. Leicester continued to harry and press and the excellent Hume led the line with much character. The Leicester fans continued with their great backing of their team and with 10 minutes to go the Leicester players seemed to be pushing more for the win and the doubts began to sit in, deep down the Preston fans knew what was coming, our team are masters at throwing away last minute goals of late and when it did come, hoards of people left shaking their heads with dismay. Maybe we have become over expectant in our team and club or maybe we have just become fed up of throwing away our many chances of making the step up. It would be great for our club to go up and lay some stronger foundations and return to the top flight for the first time in over 45 years, although many of us worry that we may just have gone and done it again - bottled it. People walked away from the ground questioning why the players didn't match the desire of the Leciester players, 'why no passion?' 'why couldn't we create anything?' In life you have to work for what you earn and Leicester earned that win using everything they could do. Of course there was the usual time wasting and players dropping down every 10 minutes to break up the pattern of play although this wasn't the reason why Preston lost and Leicester won.

As fans you have to live in hope and have belief until the end and I know I will try to remain in that frame of mind because as we all know this league has had more twists than Prison Break and Lost put together and maybe there could be many more to come.

The overall assessment:

It pains me to say that Leicester wanted it far more than Preston, their fans seemed to want it more, the City tackling and pressing was played at an intense level and their standard of football was higher - definitely a fair result.

All the best.

We know the feeling to well, but we won't go into all the details of why our players fail to equal the effort shown yesterday every week. We are still not mathmatically safe but if we put in the same level of perfomance as at Preston we'll be fine. It's going to be an exciting summer...for once

As the away team you always get that togetherness mentality, our fans have been harsh on the team too (home QPR) was a classic example, we only have modest expectations but PNE must be well pissed as they are hoping for the prem, what your team needs is a good away win. At home pressure and fans are fickle and that gets to the players.

Note the Leeds support at the Walkers, top class even though I hate the scummy, homeless wankers ..... I bet at Elland Road the players get some stick.....

All the best.

As a very young lad I have memories of PNE being an established top league side along with Bolton & Burnley and it was sad seeing your demise into the 4th division, it has also be a pleasure to see you rise again.

We at Leicester have fortunately never had to experience what that feels like and I suspect it was the fear of dropping out of the top two divisions for the first time in our history that provided the impetus for us to overcome our apathy built up over the last 3 years and muster the support that was evident yesterday.

Where we can empathise is being in the play-offs and missing out on promotion, we were third time lucky winners so I sincerely hope that not only do you make the play-offs but get to the final and after 45+ years get back into the top flight.

Best of luck.

As the away team you always get that togetherness mentality, our fans have been harsh on the team too (home QPR) was a classic example, we only have modest expectations but PNE must be well pissed as they are hoping for the prem, what your team needs is a good away win. At home pressure and fans are fickle and that gets to the players.

Note the Leeds support at the Walkers, top class even though I hate the scummy, homeless wankers ..... I bet at Elland Road the players get some stick.....

Like, ooh, 4-0? :D

The overall assessment:

All the best.

Brilliantly honest assessment of the game.

And the support was amazing, you're right. I've rarely been to a game like that one i can tell you. Thge players seemed to feed off it and it was brilliant.

This may sound harsh, but with your stadium i dont really think the time is right for the premiership yet, but that doesnt mean i wont be rooting for you. Please beat Derby, PLEASE!!!!

Brilliantly honest assessment of the game.

And the support was amazing, you're right. I've rarely been to a game like that one i can tell you. Thge players seemed to feed off it and it was brilliant.

This may sound harsh, but with your stadium i dont really think the time is right for the premiership yet, but that doesnt mean i wont be rooting for you. Please beat Derby, PLEASE!!!!

Ah but the thing is they can get promoted, get relegated and end up with enough cash to completely rebuild the stadium. There's never a wrong time to get promoted.

Ah but the thing is they can get promoted, get relegated and end up with enough cash to completely rebuild the stadium. There's never a wrong time to get promoted.

I suppose you could have a point there really. But i hope they do well. I like Preston, more than i like a lot of the teams that are up there.

Great positive post & I can see why your fans would have thought that winning would be just a formality, I'm sure we would have thought the same way had our league positions been reversed! I must admit that I didn't fancy our chances at Deepdale with your home record & that fact that PNE seem to have been our bogey team of late - you being one of the few teams that beat us in the 02/03 season when we were last promoted.

Good luck to you for the play offs :thumbsup:

Yes good luck to Preston. It would be fantastic to see them beat Derby in the playoffs :thumbup:

It's always nice to hear opposition fans views of things on here, especially when they are honest and aren't cocky etc. Thanks for that :thumbup:

Archived