Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

McAuley v McCarthy

As much of a pleasant surprise as it has been to see Gareth McAuley turn out to be a good signing this season, he is not the superbeing that some on here make him out to be.

Every time McCarthy gives away penalties or scores own goals, he is pilloried, but when McAuley does it there's always some excuse. For my money, McAuley does not organise the defence, he is slow and whilst a hard worker, lacks the intensity that McCarthy shows week in week out.

I'm not saying that McCarthy is the perfect defender. But he organises the team well. He is a good captain - he shows passion and commitment whilst being a good organiser. He is, in my opinion, the second best centre back at the club, after Kisnorbo, and it's time that people realise that McAuley is just a good squad player. He makes the same mistakes as McCarthy but more often. The only aspect of McAuley's game which is better than Paddy Mac is that he is superior in the air.

Give me McCarthy any day...

I agree :)

If only McAuley had the madness of Paddy Mac! Paddy is a real one dimensional footballer and to be honest, wouldnt get into any of the top 10 sides defence, McAuley may sneak into one or two of them. Neither are or will be world class but fair play to McAuley as its his first season at this level and he has adaped well and will be better for it. I`d still swap both of them for a Stefanovic though!

Guest ttfn
You really don't know what you're talking about.

I could stand there and point, wave, shout, gesticulate and get pointlessly booked, I really could. And the thing is... YOU'D be impressed... even though I'd be sh ite.

Actually, sod it, I give up.

People like you deserve the kind of season we've just had.

Utter tripe. You've obviously never played football to any sort of standard. Being a defensive leader is more than just standing around and pointing. You have to know the game well and be able to read it brilliantly.

'People like you deserve the kind of season we've just had'?

Just because people disagree with you it doesn't make them bad supporters. If anything, it's those who jump on bandwagons and criticise players who are in fact very solid at this level, and put unnecessary pressure on them to achieve who deserve the sort of crap football which has been offered up at times.

I'm thinking that 'The People's Hero' needs to spend more time watching football and less time thinking he's the sh*t. So, in defence of whoever it was you were just having ago at, it is you, TPH who has no idea what they're talking about. Yet I respect your right to an opinion on the matter, no matter how one minded and stubborn it may be.

This is really a bit of a no brainer for me.

As everyone can see, McCarthy can shout, point and throw himself about. Unfortunately this does not make a good centre back at all. Fair enough it's good for a defender to have these capabilities but if he cannot tackle, pass, mark or position himself he is really going to get himself anywhere.

It's clear to see McAuley had a bad day yesterday but let's not forget that he's scored some vital goals for us and has being quite consitant when along side Kisnorbo. McAuley does get exposed for his pace everynow and then but he still a far better centre half than McCarthy.

Utter tripe. You've obviously never played football to any sort of standard. Being a defensive leader is more than just standing around and pointing. You have to know the game well and be able to read it brilliantly.

'People like you deserve the kind of season we've just had'?

Just because people disagree with you it doesn't make them bad supporters. If anything, it's those who jump on bandwagons and criticise players who are in fact very solid at this level, and put unnecessary pressure on them to achieve who deserve the sort of crap football which has been offered up at times.

I'm thinking that 'The People's Hero' needs to spend more time watching football and less time thinking he's the sh*t. So, in defence of whoever it was you were just having ago at, it is you, TPH who has no idea what they're talking about. Yet I respect your right to an opinion on the matter, no matter how one minded and stubborn it may be.

That's the point isn't it McCarthy doesn't know the game well and can't read it. Maybe in time who knows but he's got a very long way to go before he reaches that level.

Neither are remotely good enough.If either start next season we can forget promotion.

I think that's a little harsh really. Look at Derby for example. I personally would take McAuley over Darren Moore, and look where Derby are in the table. Challenging for promotion? Yes.

I'm sorry but McAuley couldn't have really done too much today and is still miles better than McCarthy.

1st - He was really unlucky with the own goal and had to do something outherwise Bothroyd would have scored anyway

2nd - That was never a pen, he got the ball cleanly

I thought he defended well alongside Kisnorbo who had a shocker and still can't distribute the ball to save his life.

Today was only the 5th game we've lost this season in 26 with McAuley in the side.

McAuley isn't as good as people say he is, he's no better than Kisnorbo. Both were absolutely terrible yesterday, and you can't defend his miss, because if he had scored, we would have won the game, no question.

But yes, he's still better than McCarthy.

everyone makes mistakes, no-one is perfect, certainly not at city. but mccarthy is very inconsistant with his performances. but with mcauley, he is a typical defender - slow , ok, but he knows the situation the club has been in, and is wiling to put in performances, that is where he has got the goals. u don't see that with paddy mac. giv gareth a new contract now.

I love how people forget how useless certain players are just because they've been out for a while with injury. The exact same thing happened with Williams and Fryatt this season.

"We'll be ok now that [x] is back. Stick him in the team"

"Well, they were rushed back, they're not fully fit..."

"They're not fully fit cos they were rushed back..."

"[x] is garbage, get him out the team. We'd be better off with Elvis."

"Elvis is garbage."

Guest ttfn

I would like to make 2 further points:

1) 2005/6 McCarthy was considered by many on here to be quality defender. A couple of mistakes and now he's shit???

2) I never suggested that McAuley was a bad defender. To be honest with youI think that in McAuley, Kisnorbo and McCarthy we have 3 defenders who can (between them) help us get in the play offs next year. The reason we conceded a lot of goals at times was because the midfield wasn't fit enough and left the defence too exposed.

1) 2005/6 McCarthy was considered by many on here to be quality defender. A couple of mistakes and now he's shit???

2) I never suggested that McAuley was a bad defender. To be honest with youI think that in McAuley, Kisnorbo and McCarthy we have 3 defenders who can (between them) help us get in the play offs next year. The reason we conceded a lot of goals at times was because the midfield wasn't fit enough and left the defence too exposed.

Point two I can agree with but I'm fed up of points like your first one. This is a messageboard with many users. Just because you read a few things from people saying he was good 12 months ago, it doesn't mean they are the same people who are moaning about him now. More importantly, the longer you have to judge a player the more accurate the judgment should be. Personally it's not any particular standout mistakes he's made for goals we've conceded but his overall play. The amount of silly fouls he gives away in dangerous positions is unforgivable. I prefer Kisnorbo and McAuley despite yesterday's horror show. I refuse to change my opinion of them based on one poor game after a season where they have been two of our three best players.

Some players kick on, some others go backwards. When we plucked Muzzy Izzet out of the Chelsea reserves, he came here with a hunger and got better as we improved. Paddy Mac came along from Man City reserves and after a decent start has got worse. Just because some people are impressed for a short while it doesnt mean that they have to stay with that opinion if a players form and ability gets worse for whatever reason. All you have to do is look at someone like Danny Cadamateri and realise that some players dont get any better and infact get worse. Maybe thats whats happening with Paddy Mac becuase he certainly isnt getting any better IMO.

As for McAuley, he has featured in 95% of everyones top 3 for us this season. A couple of own goals and below par performances shouldnt wipe all that out, especially as the bloke was one of the reasons that our fortunes changed for the better when Paddy got injured and we went on a decent run.

Like others have said, maybe we need better options than both of them for next season but from the two, Paddy Mac has far less footballing qualities although he seems to be a great moaner and nutcase.

Archived