Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

McAuley v McCarthy

Guest ttfn

As much of a pleasant surprise as it has been to see Gareth McAuley turn out to be a good signing this season, he is not the superbeing that some on here make him out to be.

Every time McCarthy gives away penalties or scores own goals, he is pilloried, but when McAuley does it there's always some excuse. For my money, McAuley does not organise the defence, he is slow and whilst a hard worker, lacks the intensity that McCarthy shows week in week out.

I'm not saying that McCarthy is the perfect defender. But he organises the team well. He is a good captain - he shows passion and commitment whilst being a good organiser. He is, in my opinion, the second best centre back at the club, after Kisnorbo, and it's time that people realise that McAuley is just a good squad player. He makes the same mistakes as McCarthy but more often. The only aspect of McAuley's game which is better than Paddy Mac is that he is superior in the air.

Give me McCarthy any day...

Won't get into the debate about these two but I think we need a defensive overhaul. Fair enough, at times our defenders have seemed like our better players but I don't buy it, I think they're poor and clueless far too often. If we can get money for Kisnorbo, take it. Buy two strong, decisive centre-backs, one of whom organises the defense well.

Saw the team sheet today and looked at the defence

Johansson Kisnorbo McAuley Stearman

On paper it looks good. Nils with Premiership and a bit of international experience (right?)

Kisnorbo - solid, scores goals

McAuley - scores goals

Stearman - decent young prospect, probably had enough time to prove what he has in him.

Not the greatest review, but I agree with Burnham.

Guest Gist
McAuley was shite today as was Kisnorbo!

no one picked up Keogh and i'm surprised he didnt get a hat-rick personally!

The defence just couldn't handle him today, his movement was quality.

Kenton, Nils Eric, Stearman all not good enough,

Im still not sure whether Mcauley and McCarthy could make a good partnership yet, Kisnorbo had a shocker today!!!! i think we need to new full backs, and then we may see the best of Mcauley, Kisnorbo, Mccarthy when they aint covering for th S**t full backs.

Saw the team sheet today and looked at the defence

Johansson Kisnorbo McAuley Stearman

On paper it looks good. Nils with Premiership and a bit of international experience (right?)

Kisnorbo - solid, scores goals

McAuley - scores goals

Stearman - decent young prospect, probably had enough time to prove what he has in him.

Not the greatest review, but I agree with Burnham.

In the wrong end though

The defence just couldn't handle him today, his movement was quality.

I know!

if only we had someone like him :(

anyone how know how much he cost em?

was also impressed with Micheal Kitely( however you spell it)

I know!

Andrew Keogh - £600k

Michael Kightly - Nominal

Michael McIndoe - £250k

Hope Milan's cash can find similar players

Im still not sure whether Mcauley and McCarthy could make a good partnership

they played together against sheffield wednesday [away] and were way to slow. they got ripped apart

I'm sorry but McAuley couldn't have really done too much today and is still miles better than McCarthy.

1st - He was really unlucky with the own goal and had to do something outherwise Bothroyd would have scored anyway

2nd - That was never a pen, he got the ball cleanly

I thought he defended well alongside Kisnorbo who had a shocker and still can't distribute the ball to save his life.

Today was only the 5th game we've lost this season in 26 with McAuley in the side.

McAuley was shite today as was Kisnorbo!

no one picked up Keogh and i'm surprised he didnt get a hat-rick personally!

Looked a good lad that Keogh. Never stayed still. Made some really determined, fast and threatening runs.

I know!

keogh cost them 500 grand i was on him from day dot & was well gutted when wolves nabbed him but kelly's head was up his arse so i weren't expectin us to get him really :frusty:

...but kelly's head was up his arse so i weren't expectin us to get him really :frusty:

Well, that and the little fact that we haven't had five grand to spend on transfer fees this season let alone 500.

McCarthy is sh it mate.

Just because he shouts and points a lot, doesn't hide his complete lack of ability. Well not for me anyway.

Completly agree. Never been a fan of him. McAuley is a much better player than him for me.

Andrew Keogh - £600k

Michael Kightly - Nominal

Michael McIndoe - £250k

Kightly cost us £25k from Grays Athletic. McCarthy bought him solely on his assistant's recommmendation (Ian Evans). I don't think he'd even seen him play!!

Finding those sort of players is down to the manager and his scouts. McCarthy is excellent at finding lower league players. He did the same at Sunderland.

McCarthy is the ONLY central defender who can command his own penalty area.

Neither Kisnorbo nor McAuley can do so. That's why our defence has been ripped to shreds so often in recent games, especially at home.

McCarthy is the ONLY central defender who can command his own penalty area.

Neither Kisnorbo nor McAuley can do so. That's why our defence has been ripped to shreds so often in recent games, especially at home.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

I could stand there and point, wave, shout, gesticulate and get pointlessly booked, I really could. And the thing is... YOU'D be impressed... even though I'd be sh ite.

Actually, sod it, I give up.

People like you deserve the kind of season we've just had.

Archived