Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chesterfox

Who stirs the blood?

Ian Hume apart - is there any player that really stirs the passion a la Stevie Walsh or Gerree Taggart??? There don't seem to be any real characters - just because Paddy is a bit mad doesn;t allow him to qualify!! Possibly Kisnorbo but I really cannot think of anyone else :frusty:

Yeah, Kisnorbo really controls the team and is solid at the back... apart from that, nobody in the team really matches the height of the O'Neill era.

Elliott, Taggart, Lennon, Savage, Heskey, Izzet, Sinclair, Impey (WTF), Flowers etc... an amazing team!

Already a big fan of Joe Mattock. Great to see a youngster coming through and busting a gut for the team. I like Levi's attitude as well. Needs to sharpen up but got a big heart.

Other than that we don't really have a "kiss the badge in front of the kop" type player do we? That's the problem.

Already a big fan of Joe Mattock. Great to see a youngster coming through and busting a gut for the team. I like Levi's attitude as well. Needs to sharpen up but got a big heart.

Other than that we don't really have a "kiss the badge in front of the kop" type player do we? That's the problem.

I agree. Mattock has attitude. It bubbles in him. I will never forget his reaction to a team-mate whose clumsiness and lack of concentration cost the Under 18's a goal.

If words could have blistered the skin and ripped it off then that Mattock uttered them.

He plays every game at the same intensity with the drive to win fueling him from start to finish and God help anyone who threatens that ambition by letting the team down.

I criticised him for his reaction, feeling that destroying his teammate's confidence would be counter productive and that he should have used his presence, his powerful personality to draw the best out of the colleague.

But it was a respectful almost fatherly criticism.

Truth is we need a team full of single-minded winners like Mattock. People for whom every tackle and every attack matters not just the extent of the final victory.

Eleven Mattocks and Wolves wouldn't have been given the Freedom of the Walkers, that's for sure.

Mattock is an exciting talent but its too early to get carried away with all this talk of him almost being one of the terrace heroes like Walshy and Taggart! We havent got any real leaders on loons that we can relate too and its about time we got some in.

Mattock is an exciting talent but its too early to get carried away with all this talk of him almost being one of the terrace heroes like Walshy and Taggart! We havent got any real leaders on loons that we can relate too and its about time we got some in.

I thought we were talking rousing type of characters rather than necessarily leaders. If you're talking leaders Wesolowski mixes intelligence with commitment. And he will flourish in a better side so long as those injury gremlins leave him alone.

I thought we were talking rousing type of characters rather than necessarily leaders. If you're talking leaders Wesolowski mixes intelligence with commitment. And he will flourish in a better side so long as those injury gremlins leave him alone.

The topic "host" asked....

Ian Hume apart - is there any player that really stirs the passion a la Stevie Walsh or Gerree Taggart???

I thought we were talking on field heroes and players we could not on relate to but know that they are trying and giving there all, ala the aforementioned names??

Weso doesnt do that for me Im afraid and nor does Mattock. To be held in such high esteem you need to have done a hell of alot more than show promise and being young. Neither Weso or Mattock are yet fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Walsh or Taggart. I hope that in 10 years that we can look back on the younger lads and be proud that one or two have made it to almost legend status as Steve Walsh!

If Ince does come (not my choice), Weso will be the one to benefit as an upcoming talent

It's no use trying to subdue my enthusiasm cos you won't. I don't suppose Mattock will become a terrace hero cos I don't suppose he'll be here that long but he's a character alright and about as good as we've got right now - and the poster did ask for current players and "characters".

No-one said he'd been around long enough to emulate the legends but I've seen him in a lot more matches than just the first team and he's as good as we've got.

If I'd got to search among our seniors for players who stirring characters it'd be like panning for gold in tap water.

In answer to yuour question, NO.

Hume doesn;t really do it for me either.

well said

he tries hard. minimum requirement. shows flashes of skill which, lets be honest, rarely lead to anything

worth keeping for next season but we cant rely on him. have to look for better more consistent players

Yeah, Kisnorbo really controls the team and is solid at the back... apart from that, nobody in the team really matches the height of the O'Neill era.

Elliott, Taggart, Lennon, Savage, Heskey, Izzet, Sinclair, Impey (WTF), Flowers etc... an amazing team!

I hope you're being sarcastic...

It's no use trying to subdue my enthusiasm cos you won't. I don't suppose Mattock will become a terrace hero cos I don't suppose he'll be here that long but he's a character alright and about as good as we've got right now - and the poster did ask for current players and "characters".

No-one said he'd been around long enough to emulate the legends but I've seen him in a lot more matches than just the first team and he's as good as we've got.

If I'd got to search among our seniors for players who stirring characters it'd be like panning for gold in tap water.

What are you on about? I am not telling fans not to be enthusiastic about our players whether they are young or old. The fact that Mattock is a local lad who has already got England honours and has played in the first team is enough to feel that "we have got a good un here". What I am saying is he can hardly be seen as such dizzy heights by your average City fan looks as a Stevie Walsh. Before you over-hype the lad and he becomes another Levi, lets let him earn the right to become a hero with performances in the first team and not what you or any other thinks that his potential is*.

* BTW, this subject is a little dear to my heart because a then 15yo lad who was on a Leicester "YTS" contract at the time played in a mens team I managed up in Leicester and he would go off to play for England at u-16 level and scored wonder goals galore. One at Filbo against Scotland I think when he got the ball just outside his peno area and ran the length of the pitch to score, he also scored another cracker live on ITV in the days when they had live coverage (late 80s I think) but due to a number of issues didnt make the grade. My point is lets not have expectations of the youngsters at a level where they feel they have failed before there careers have started. You have already made Mattock a hero and packed his bags and sent him off to a big club because as you put it "I don't suppose he'll be here that long"

:frusty:

I agree. Mattock has attitude. It bubbles in him. I will never forget his reaction to a team-mate whose clumsiness and lack of concentration cost the Under 18's a goal.

If words could have blistered the skin and ripped it off then that Mattock uttered them.

He plays every game at the same intensity with the drive to win fueling him from start to finish and God help anyone who threatens that ambition by letting the team down.

I criticised him for his reaction, feeling that destroying his teammate's confidence would be counter productive and that he should have used his presence, his powerful personality to draw the best out of the colleague.

But it was a respectful almost fatherly criticism.

Truth is we need a team full of single-minded winners like Mattock. People for whom every tackle and every attack matters not just the extent of the final victory.

Eleven Mattocks and Wolves wouldn't have been given the Freedom of the Walkers, that's for sure.

what exactly did he say?!?

What are you on about? I am not telling fans not to be enthusiastic about our players whether they are young or old. The fact that Mattock is a local lad who has already got England honours and has played in the first team is enough to feel that "we have got a good un here". What I am saying is he can hardly be seen as such dizzy heights by your average City fan looks as a Stevie Walsh. Before you over-hype the lad and he becomes another Levi, lets let him earn the right to become a hero with performances in the first team and not what you or any other thinks that his potential is*.

* BTW, this subject is a little dear to my heart because a then 15yo lad who was on a Leicester "YTS" contract at the time played in a mens team I managed up in Leicester and he would go off to play for England at u-16 level and scored wonder goals galore. One at Filbo against Scotland I think when he got the ball just outside his peno area and ran the length of the pitch to score, he also scored another cracker live on ITV in the days when they had live coverage (late 80s I think) but due to a number of issues didnt make the grade. My point is lets not have expectations of the youngsters at a level where they feel they have failed before there careers have started. You have already made Mattock a hero and packed his bags and sent him off to a big club because as you put it "I don't suppose he'll be here that long"

:frusty:

Of course one has expectations. I've perhaps not got the time you've got to wait 10 years while someone qualifies under your rules to become a hero.

And I'm quite aware of the capabilities of young aspiring starlets thanks, the pitfalls along the way and how easy it is to overhype having had plenty of my own team members go on to England honours.

As for Mattock I could say much but will say nothing.

Of course one has expectations. I've perhaps not got the time you've got to wait 10 years while someone qualifies under your rules to become a hero.

And I'm quite aware of the capabilities of young aspiring starlets thanks, the pitfalls along the way and how easy it is to overhype having had plenty of my own team members go on to England honours.

As for Mattock I could say much but will say nothing.

By "nothing" I trust you mean you now have a third bow to add into every thread you talk about along with Elvis and Dodds???!! Thankfully Mattock is the real deal and hopefully with a little luck he can be a first teamer next season and not be brushed to teh side by the new manager.

Archived