Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
teblin

Top secret City match

We were also missing our best player, Joe Mattock. Or were we?? I've not seen the team? Gradel and King haven't been playing recently for our Academy either, possibly due to their age.

Mattock played

People don't really knock them that much, they just say they're not ready for the first team yet, which is largely true for the most part you'd have to admit.

How easily we forget.

Porter was "too small", Logan "not experienced enough", Weso "finished by injury", Mattock "too young", and these are all guys who've featured in player of the month, either as winners or close contenders.

Not ready? Yes, some have a way to go yet, but generally as far as our club's playing approach is concerned, it's the seniors who aren't ready for the youngsters, not the other way around.

Dodds was "not good enough", Gradel "too temperamental", Sheehan "too reckless" the excuses were endless.

But our "preferred" and presumably "ready" strikers malfunctioned embarrassingly (Hume excepted), our "preferred" right wingers scored twice all told (in a season!) and our "preferred" left-backs were collectively limited to little more than defensive duties.

I'd have used all three of the youngsters at one time or another if they were injury free.

The Academy group might all have weaknesses they need to improve on (no different to the seniors really) but Beaglehole's Boys, past and present, have one thing in common - they can all play a bit, they all attack and they never stop asking questions of the opposition.

It's all down to tactical attitude and appropriate players really. And the first team's stinks as is clear to see from the League tables these last few years.

You might think this is a call for more youth players in the team. It's not, and definitely not, unless they are good enough.

It's a call for the club to get a first team whose manager and players can mirror the style of the Academy. That way we might compete at the right end of the table and the whole set-up will be moving in tandem.

It's ridiculous that youngsters should emerge from an attacking environment to find themselves suffocated in a defensive set-up with no great pace from the back, no close support and no movement.

"The timing of this game, immediately after the European Under-17 Championships, forced Bould to field a weakened team. Fran Merida, who helped Spain to glory in Belgium, was an unused substitute while England duo Rhys Murphy and Henri Lansbury also played no part."

Arsenal's excuse for the defeat then basically - off their website!

And where do they think Mattock was - just a sub after all his travelling by the look of it.

And Tejan-Sie's been released I believe.

And Chambers is still getting his sharpness back after serious injury.

One thing with Arsenal, excuses are part of their psyche.

They should be thankful they had home advantage and no fans to see what happened. :whistle::D

I actually agree with Thrac.

Our team is dire, theres not pace or energy about us.

Nothing about Leicester city has excited me in the past 3 seasons bar the cups runs/performances.

As i mentioned in an earlier thread its about time Leicester got ambitious and started doing things needed to get where we want to be instead of just slugging along settling for whatever we get.

I always hated the we are where we are approach it was so demotivating.

Its about time someone came in and said right i want to get us here and this is how i'm going to do it.

Not another oh well we'll give it our best shot we'll end up where we end up no matter what were all a smashing bunch of lads.

Academy March On

Leicester City's Under-18s booked their place in the FA Premier Academy League Final with a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Arsenal on Tuesday lunchtime.

Billy McKay (2) and Eric Odhiambo grabbed the goals for the jubilant Foxes.

Steve Beaglehole's side will now meet Sunderland at The Stadium of Light on Sunday (May 20) with the winners earning the right to represent their country at a tournament in Dallas later this year.

Rudkin Hails 'Magnificent Achievement'

Walkers Youth Academy Manager Jon Rudkin was quick to heap deserved praise on City's Under-18s after they reached the prestigious FA Premier League Final.

The Foxes, who topped Group B, overcame Arsenal 3-2 on Tuesday afternoon to set up a clash with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Sunday (May 20).

"This is a magnificent achievement," said an elated Rudkin. "We turned in one of our best performances of the season against a major club within the Academy set-up.

"We are now all looking forward to the final but won't be taking anything for granted."

Billy McKay opened the scoring for the visitors after 20 minutes following some impressive work by Ryan Beswick down the flank.

Arsenal's Polish international keeper kept his side in the game with a succession of fine saves and was rewarded when the Gunners drew level soon after to make it one apiece at the interval.

Rudkin added: "Arsenal came out strongly after half-time and probably started the better but we maintained our discipline and shape and took full advantage as a result."

A tremendous goal from Eric Odhiambo restored City's advantage on the hour then a second from McKay 10 minutes later all but sealed the game as a contest.

The hosts pulled a goal back seven minutes from time but City's Under-18s stood firm to spark the celebrations.

"We didn't look edgy and didn't look nervous at all and fully deserved the victory," Rudkin said.

City: Pentney, Cox, Garner, Lycett, Rowe-Turner, Gradel (Chambers), King, Magunda, Beswick (Mattock), Odhiambo, McKay. Subs not used: Tuttle, Cisak, Howard.

Terrific and congratulations all round. :clap: :clap:

How easily we forget.

Porter was "too small", Logan "not experienced enough", Weso "finished by injury", Mattock "too young", and these are all guys who've featured in player of the month, either as winners or close contenders.

Not ready? Yes, some have a way to go yet, but generally as far as our club's playing approach is concerned, it's the seniors who aren't ready for the youngsters, not the other way around.

Dodds was "not good enough", Gradel "too temperamental", Sheehan "too reckless" the excuses were endless.

But our "preferred" and presumably "ready" strikers malfunctioned embarrassingly (Hume excepted), our "preferred" right wingers scored twice all told (in a season!) and our "preferred" left-backs were collectively limited to little more than defensive duties.

I'd have used all three of the youngsters at one time or another if they were injury free.

The Academy group might all have weaknesses they need to improve on (no different to the seniors really) but Beaglehole's Boys, past and present, have one thing in common - they can all play a bit, they all attack and they never stop asking questions of the opposition.

It's all down to tactical attitude and appropriate players really. And the first team's stinks as is clear to see from the League tables these last few years.

You might think this is a call for more youth players in the team. It's not, and definitely not, unless they are good enough.

It's a call for the club to get a first team whose manager and players can mirror the style of the Academy. That way we might compete at the right end of the table and the whole set-up will be moving in tandem.

It's ridiculous that youngsters should emerge from an attacking environment to find themselves suffocated in a defensive set-up with no great pace from the back, no close support and no movement.

Great post Thracian. Print it out and send it to milan!

How easily we forget.

some good points there. however, i have to say that sheehan definately isn;t good enough, logan i dont think is experienced/talented enough and dodds...maybe the loan spell proved he's not that great (although rochdale did improve greatly with him)

well done academy anyway, hope the first team feel slightly ashamed at how the youth team are the only positive thing on field atm.

I'm pleased with the result and it's good to hear about players like Cox and Rowe-Turner getting a start even though they haven't started too many games during the season itself. It's players like them and Garner who will be playing most games next season for the under 18s, although Garner's played a good amount this season too. Looks like Magunda was used as a central midfielder too which shows he's versatile having seen him play as a right back and a centre back in the past. I hope Pentney gets put into the reserves next season and Cisak gets games for the 18s. I rate Cisak more so than Pentney. Pentney's had his chance in the under 18s this season so he should go to the next level although I don't think he's taken his opportunity this season fully.

A brilliant result, especially considering players like Gavin Hoyte, Nacer Barazite and Jay Simpson were in the Arsenal side. Hopefully players like Magunda, Gradel, King, McKay and Odhiambo will be pushing to join Mattock in the first-team setup for pre-season.

That shows initiative. Seems like we've beaten them at that as well as the football! :D

Any opinions on whether the academy setup have a chance for the 1st team job? I would worry about going the same pathway like Kelly. I want someone who has done it on the league stage and achieved something tangible even that means turning a team from relegation to promotion contenders. I also want someone that understands lower leagues. In addition he must like playing young players, not particularly the academy's but talent poached from others.

I'm pleased with the result and it's good to hear about players like Cox and Rowe-Turner getting a start even though they haven't started too many games during the season itself. It's players like them and Garner who will be playing most games next season for the under 18s, although Garner's played a good amount this season too. Looks like Magunda was used as a central midfielder too which shows he's versatile having seen him play as a right back and a centre back in the past. I hope Pentney gets put into the reserves next season and Cisak gets games for the 18s. I rate Cisak more so than Pentney. Pentney's had his chance in the under 18s this season so he should go to the next level although I don't think he's taken his opportunity this season fully.

Yes Lathan Rowe-Turner in particular has looked quite promising, both on the flank and at full-back. Strength, pace and skill is never a bad combination even if he does look a bit coltish just yet. And Joe Magunda always seems to have improved a bit more when I see him, though it's been a while now.

I think thats largely due to there being little at stake, the style of play that is. You played the first team in a similar game and I'm damn sure the same would happen.

The Academy team doesn't consider there's little at stake, nor the manager if truth be told. These people like winning and play as they do because a) It suits the players they've got and b) Because they believe it is the most effective way of winning.

Of course our first team would be able to do the same at Academy level and I am quite convinced they could make a better attempt at it as first teamers given the chance and given a bit of tinkering with personnel.

My point is that they aren't given that chance - not ever apart from in the occasional cup match.

They always play with one eye on safety. Even when they take an early lead they never drive forward for a second but start to play more cautiously. That's the sign of a team and a manager who lacks inner belief in what they can do.

Beaglehole doesn't lack that belief whatever the situation. It is that which needs to change just as much as a few players.

In adddition the number of potential scorers we have is far too low.

Then there's the attacking midfielder we forever pretend we don't need, the lack of pace now Hammond's out of the team, and finally our fitness which doesn't allow us to support fast enough and often enough for 90 minutes, especially when players are selected to start after weeks out injured.

All these things count and need to be put right if.

Twenty-one of our games ended in draws or single goal defeats last season. If we put the things right I've mentioned above and improved on those games by even one goal each we would have reached the play offs with the extra points won.

We scored 60-odd goals last season and we need 80 - almost exactly what I've mentioned in relation to the improvements needed.

In it not so difficult an ask but it does require a fundamental shift in attitude.

Not counting occasional contributors the Academy has five regular scorers and the first team has one plus the equivalent half each from Kisnorbo and Hammond.

It's just not enough. There's barely a goal from midfield and we knew that would be the case pre-season.

There not poor not at all but it gets boring after every first team match certain people call for the kids to be thrown in and some threads get changed into a Fryatt vs Elvis/Dodds contest.

Not all of them will be as mentally strong as Mattock also the change from a winning side to a losing one would be a big factor and not to forget the quality of the opposition.

Mattock has done so well because of his driven personality but you cant say that the rest of them will be the same ?

Its already been proven with Dodds who was leathal at Acadamy and Reserve level and he cant cut the butter in league 2

BTW i don't have issues, some people are just blinded by a bit of success.

Nothing has been proven about Dodds at all.

Any idea if Sunday's final is behind closed doors or something we can all watch?

The Arsenal point of view..

Arsenal Under-18s suffered their second Semi-Final defeat this season as Leicester edged them out in the Academy League play-offs at the training ground on Tuesday.

Steve Bould's side just missed out on a place in the FA Youth Cup Final last month and were thwarted this time by a purposeful Foxes side.

Victory would have set up a Final showdown with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Sunday but goals either side of the break from Kieran Gibbs and Jay Simpson proved in vain.

Bould’s starting line up boasted four players who have featured on the bench for Arsène Wenger’s first team this season. But the Academy coach also had key players missing following last week’s European Under-17s championship. Midfielder Henri Lansbury picked up an injury in England’s Semi-Final win over France while Spaniard Fran Merida and England striker Rhys Murphy, who both featured in Sunday’s Final, did not start. The latter was rested completely.

Despite their absentees the young Gunners got off to a good start with Nacer Barazite, fresh from representing the Netherlands, going close.

But Leicester quickly set about dictating play and took the lead just 10 minutes in. Gavin Hoyte, another of England’s charges, looked to have cleared any danger with a defensive header but found Billy McKay, who in turn found the bottom corner.

Arsenal’s response was immediate. Kieran Gibbs received the ball in the box and bided his time before squeezing a shot between keeper Carl Pentley and his near post. Yet the goal didn’t serve to give the Gunners momentum and Leicester looked hungry to regain their advantage.

Polish stopper Wojciech Szczesny twice saved from Eric Odhiambo and Andy King while McKay passed up an opportunity to double his tally.

Hoyte latched on to a Simpson free-kick but could only guide his effort at Pentley while Simpson himself fired wide after a slip from Scott Lycett gave him his first clear sight of goal.

Odhiambo and King continued to cause problems and each registered another effort on goal before the break. Randall also fizzed a shot inches over Pentley’s bar following a neat lay off from the industrious Gibbs.

Randall then turned provider with an incisive throughball which put Simpson one on one. Unfortunately for the striker, Leicester’s defenders recovered quickly and forced him to hurry his shot.

The 18-year-old again got a steal on his marker on 53 minutes but this time he fluffed his attempted lob as the keeper advanced.

Barazite and Simpson had further chances saved by the impressive Pentley and agonisingly saw Leicester regain the lead on 64 minutes. Odhiambo played a neat one-two, affording himself space to calmly slot the ball under Szczesny.

And 16 minutes later the challenge before Arsenal increased further still. McKay showed quick feet to find room in the box before placing a shot beyond the reach of the 17-year-old goalkeeper.

The young Gunners handed themselves a lifeline with five minutes remaining as Gibbs provided for Simpson to hook in a reply. It ensured a nail-biting climax and Gibbs went close in the dying seconds only to see his goal-bound shot deflected over the crossbar.

Fantastic result for the kids!

Its great to see that we have seemingly got some talented players with a huge potential who are kicking it against the best of the lads of their age group and excelling. What pleases me is that when you look at the Arsenal side its full of foreign names and 4 of the players have featured in the Arsenal first team squad already.

Its a magnificent achievement because they seem to be winning and scoring plenty fo goals which bodes well for the. Lets just hope that they dont get led down the wrong path and continue to improve next season as it would be fantastic for the club and city if we had some real quality players in the first team who have been promoted from within so to speak.

BTW, I see we are away again for the final? How does that work out lol? It makes the achievement even more impressive!

Archived