Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Dance Music of the late 80s/early 90s

Been ripping a few old compilation cassettes to mp3 for the Mrs. She used to love that sort of thing.

She used to drag me down Starlight 2001 on a Friday to the back room where they would play brilliant house music or Street Life on a Wednesday once a month (straight night) for Babble (?) . Those were the days were you used to go to the bar and get a beer and be the only one in a packed club drinking. Everyone else was drinking water and dancing like mad bastards for some reason :banana:

Wish I had been around to experience it first hand.

Unfortunately I was only able to feed off the scraps that still linger in the warehouse/outdoor parties going on over the last few years.

That music was a massive influence though (Happy Mondays, The Prodigy, etc) - it spawned a host of musical genres and was and still is a big cultural influence.

Anyone remember the late 80s and 90s dance scene ? Reminds me of the London Orbital raves. It got me into my diverse taste and away from the charts. Here's a few reminders..

LFO by LFO

Voodoo Ray by A Guy Called Gerald

Blue Room by The Orb

LFO/LFO is the bestest record of it's era. It's not a sophisticated record, but it just works. Those two others are crackers too.

Re: Late 80's/early 90's dance/hip-hop, see also:

Orbital - Chime

DJ Mink - Hey Hey Can U Relate

Bizarre Inc - Playing With Knives

Súeno Latino - Súeno Latino

Orbital - Belfast

Young MC - I Come Off

A Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebum

Wish I had been around to experience it first hand.

Me too. Unfortunately, I was only 12 in the Second Summer Of Love (© Danny Wilson) and had to make do with Jeff Young, John Peel and some dodgy mix tapes to go with my smiley tee.

Me too. Unfortunately, I was only 12 in the Second Summer Of Love (© Danny Wilson) and had to make do with Jeff Young, John Peel and some dodgy mix tapes to go with my smiley tee.

it wasn't all that!

artist_4371.jpg i looked not dissimilar to the carpets and we had to make do with whitney housten and bryan adams at number one for ever!

it wasn't all that!

artist_4371.jpg i looked not dissimilar to the carpets and we had to make do with whitney housten and bryan adams at number one for ever!

Yes but that, a mate called Lenny Sayer and trips to various record shops including Select a Disc down in London got me into music away from the charts. I became more interested in artists like System F, Gong, Scanner and David Sylvian - more of the Ambient/Hippy/Intelligent Techno/Avant Garde styles of music and it made me realise that music isn't constrained by a general 4/4 beat and doesn't have to have good looking artists, who hit the charts!

• 1 month later...

Archived