Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Martin Allen joins the queue?

That's fair enough. I'm unsure on whether his methods would work at a higher level, but he's also very intelligent, he just comes across as an abrasive pyschopath.

My main concern with the lower league managers is their ability to attract quality high profile players to the club, I know Mandaric has his contacts and will be heavily involved. But players are often swayed by the manager and I suppose Ince could get some players in on reputation alone but his lack of experience and whole demeanour bother me.

Seems to me every serious candidate, my own preferred choices included, comes with niggling little question marks like the entirely relevent ones you mention.

Everywhere you turn there are more questions but a decision needs to be made and the sooner the better really with time rushing on and other important work to be done.

If MM's hoping to find a managerial certainty among his applicants he'll be disappointed.

So if I was him I'd write the down the factors that are important, give marks out of 10 to each candidate based on those factors, add up the marks for each candidate and, when I'm left with two or three go with my personal feelings based on what I wanted to achieve and how.

It's simplistic and old fashioned but it's a formula that at least seems to work when I've used it.

Come someone start a poll.

I've compiled a definitive list of everyone who we have been linked with:

Fans Choice poll:

Martin Allen

Jean Tigana

Chris Coleman

Paul Jewell

Neil Warnock

Billy Davies

Nigel Worthington

Iain Dowie

Bryan Robson

Gary Megson

Stuart Pearce

Mike Newell

Paul Ince

Simon Grayson

Sven Goran Erickson

Neil Lennon

Gerry Taggart

Louis Dodds

Elvis Hammond

Steve Beaglehole

Steve Clarke

Thracian

Glen Roeder

What's this I see... some people who say they don't want Warock because of his style of play/rant and rave style of management are saying they would like Allen.

Hmmmmmm..... interesting.

;)

According to the papers, Mandaric prefers Allen's style of management to Warnock's. I, however would agree that they both have similarities. Allen seems to be liked in the game, where as Warnock is too long in the tooth now to ever be liked by the majority of footballing fans.

Seems to me every serious candidate, my own preferred choices included, comes with niggling little question marks like the entirely relevent ones you mention.

Everywhere you turn there are more questions but a decision needs to be made and the sooner the better really with time rushing on and other important work to be done.

If MM's hoping to find a managerial certainty among his applicants he'll be disappointed.

So if I was him I'd write the down the factors that are important, give marks out of 10 to each candidate based on those factors, add up the marks for each candidate and, when I'm left with two or three go with my personal feelings based on what I wanted to achieve and how.

It's simplistic and old fashioned but it's a formula that at least seems to work when I've used it.

You've hit the nail on the head. No manager linked with us is going to have an un-blemished record or have the exact perfect qualities on their CV. I think the fact we've had several crap managers has made our fans very, very picky when discussing potential managers. I, myself consider certain managers and think i'd like them here and then a day or so later I change my mind because of the exact reasons. I'm literally at a loss as who would be the ideal candidate.

Tigana stands out, but I might be thinking that because he's high profile and fairly flamboyant compared to the other run of the mill managers we have been linked with.

That's why thankfully Mandaric is making the decision and not the fans. We'd all never agree!

So you were. :unsure:

His commitment and drive to win games impresses me very passionate. Something that Kelly and Levein never had. He hasnt had alot of experience in spending alot of money which would slightly concern me.

It would concern me too and he said elvis hammond looked like a good player :blink:

Because it is Martin Allen I am uncertain of in my mind whereas I feel I know what I'd get with the others.

As for your last sentence that is yet another boorish schoolboy style irrelevence which no-one will thank me for taking up.

You're the one who's obsessed with school boys!

And how is it irrelevant?

I was calling your judgement in to question and offered some previous examples.

As for boorish - you wrote the book (and probably many hyperbole filled articles) on it, so I imagine you're something of an authority on it!

What next... ??

We've heard stories about Warnock, Davies, Ince etc... but this one impresses me the most, ive always rated the man and would like him here, but never thought MM would be considering him. In my opinion hes the manager we need.

You're the one who's obsessed with school boys!

And how is it irrelevant?

I was calling your judgement in to question and offered some previous examples.

As for boorish - you wrote the book (and probably many hyperbole filled articles) on it, so I imagine you're something of an authority on it!

What next... ??

I might have guessed you'd relish the idea of going down that route, being so close to Brighton. Kent was the only place I was wary of hitch-hiking through as a kid cos it was the blokes rather than the women who were forever spinning you a line.

It's only a theory but I reckon there's more 30-ish blokes live with their mother's in Kent than anywhere else in Britain.

Got to be a bit dodgy that. Don't you think?.

And the only thing you were certain of selling down there was silk dressing gowns and cravats. Not the place to do deliveries on your own. Not as a young lad anyway.

I might have guessed you'd relish the idea of going down that route, being so close to Brighton. Kent was the only place I was wary of hitch-hiking through as a kid cos it was the blokes rather than the women who were forever spinning you a line.

It's only a theory but I reckon there's more 30-ish blokes live with their mother's in Kent than anywhere else in Britain.

Got to be a bit dodgy that. Don't you think?.

And the only thing you were certain of selling down there was silk dressing gowns and cravats. Not the place to do deliveries on your own. Not as a young lad anyway.

What are you actually talking about?

1) How is any of that relevant to me accusing you of talking rubbish?

2) I'm not thirty something. I'm a thrusting (:P) young male (23)

3) I don't live with my mum!

What are you actually talking about?

1) How is any of that relevant to me accusing you of talking rubbish?

2) I'm not thirty something. I'm a thrusting (:P) young male (23)

3) I don't live with my mum!

I didn't suggest you were in your 30's and living with your mum. I was relating my impressions of when I hitch-hiked in the area.

I think we've strayed from the topic, just a little bit. :whistle:

Sort it out. :P

Martin Allen and Billy Davies just might have something in common - failure.

Should both of them fail to secure promotion via the play-off's, they'll have each got to the play-off's repeatedly, but never managed to go beyond that. Davies 3 times (in a row) and Allen 5 times, so I've read.

It strikes me as a little odd that we're interested in such managers - Davies in particular. Or perhaps I'm just putting too much weight on the idea of wanting a candidate who does promotion.

Although, admittedly, as far as Martin Allen goes, I know very little... I assume he's been promoted before (or we wouldn't be so interested in him, would we?) :unsure:

I didn't suggest you were in your 30's and living with your mum. I was relating my impressions of when I hitch-hiked in the area.

Don't see what that has to do with me.

There are probably a number of mature men in your area with an unhealthy interest in young boys, but I'm certainly not going to accuse you of being one.

You've well and truly shown yourself up in this thread.

Archived