Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Martin Allen joins the queue?

According to Daily Mail

Martin Allen has emerged as a rival to Neil Warnock and Chris Coleman for the Leicester job after guiding MK Dons to the League Two play-off semi-final.

Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric, currently in Florida on holiday, is expected to make a formal approach to MK Dons for permission to speak with Allen after the outcome of their semi-final second leg against Shrewsbury.

Allen has worked on restricted budgets at Brentford and MK Dons and it is understood Leicester prefer his managerial style to the abrasive approach of Warnock.

He is one of only a few lower league managers that I think deserves a chance at a higher level at present. He was superb at Brentford and his ability there has been proven by how Brentford have rapidly fallen since his departure. I was surprised he took over MK Dons, but he's done a tidy job there as well.

He's a nasty piece of work at times, but he's also very loyal to his players and will fight their corner but if anyone steps out of line they'll know about it.

The list of potential managers is growing day by day, I bet Mandaric will adopt an Alan Sugar type role and set all the candidates various tasks before firing them one by one, until we have the winner.

He is one of only a few lower league managers that I think deserves a chance at a higher level at present. He was superb at Brentford and his ability there has been proven by how Brentford have rapidly fallen since his departure. I was surprised he took over MK Dons, but he's done a tidy job there as well.

He's a nasty piece of work at times, but he's also very loyal to his players and will fight their corner but if anyone steps out of line they'll know about it.

The list of potential managers is growing day by day, I bet Mandaric will adopt an Alan Sugar type role and set all the candidates various tasks before firing them one by one, until we have the winner.

Good programme for lcfc tv i think.

Don't even joke about it lol.... why would part of me not be surprised at something like that with this club ha.

Don't even joke about it lol.... why would part of me not be surprised at something like that with this club ha.

It would be piss funny, I would love it if Mandaric took all of them orienteering at Bowmanor Hall as part of their interview. Could you imagine Warnock grappling with those hills.

MM

"Never ever try to underestimate me because you will be making a fatal, fatal error. I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullshitters, I don't like schmoozers, I don't like arse-lickers."

Well that's most of LCFC, the players, the administration in fact practically everyone involved in professional football.

MM

"Never ever try to underestimate me because you will be making a fatal, fatal error. I don't like liars, I don't like cheats. I don't like bullshitters, I don't like schmoozers, I don't like arse-lickers."

Well that's most of LCFC, the players, the administration in fact practically everyone involved in professional football.

' I'm looking for someone who is drop dead shrewd '

It alarms me that Robert Kelly wasn't kept on given this statement from Milan.

According to Daily Mail

Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric, currently in Florida on holiday, is expected to make a formal approach to MK Dons for permission to speak with Allen after the outcome of their semi-final second leg against Shrewsbury.

It’s obvious that MK Dons will deny Mandaric the access to approach Martin Allen, so what happens if Allen wants to speak to us?

' I'm looking for someone who is drop dead shrewd '

It alarms me that Robert Kelly wasn't kept on given this statement from Milan.

Ooooops I never meant to imply that was an MM quote, it's Sugar - but you know that I guess. :dunno:

It’s obvious that MK Dons will deny Mandaric the access to approach Martin Allen, so what happens if Allen wants to speak to us?

Allen will demand that he's allowed to speak to us. If they continue to refuse then he'd have to resign first. I would be surprised if Allen hasn't got a clause in his contract that allows him permission to speak to clubs in the Championship and Premiership. He was highly sought after when he left Brentford and it was impressive how MK Dons managed to get him over clubs from a higher level, it's probably because they have said to Allen that if a bigger club comes knocking and he's seriously interested then he can leave.

According to Daily Mail

Martin Allen has emerged as a rival to Neil Warnock and Chris Coleman for the Leicester job after guiding MK Dons to the League Two play-off semi-final.

Allen has worked on restricted budgets at Brentford and MK Dons and it is understood Leicester prefer his managerial style to the abrasive approach of Warnock.

It is early days yet but someone will soon surely explain to me what it is about Martin Allen which makes him a better prospective manager than Simon Grayson.

And, indeed, what makes him a respectable candidate as opposed to several other lower League candidates when such people were previously being rejected as having no experience of Premiership/Championship football..

It is early days yet but someone will soon surely explain to me what it is about Martin Allen which makes him a better prospective manager than Simon Grayson.

Why does anyone have to explain it to you?

Mandaric bought the club and he's going to put someone in whom he thinks can make progress here.

To my mind, Martin Allen is the better boss at the current time. I don't think either would be a bad shout.

And, indeed, what makes him a respectable candidate as opposed to several other lower League candidates when such people were previously being rejected as having no experience of Premiership/Championship football..

It's a good question and I suppose it comes down to opinion. If you are referring to Paul Ince and Simon Grayson then my only argument against those compared to Martin Allen is that Allen has had a few more years experience ahead of them and in those few years he's continued to impress me. He's yet to fail in terms of what is expected of him at the clubs he's been at. Barnet, Brentford and MK Dons have all benefitted from him being there, he's been at the business end of the divisions with all the clubs mentioned.

Grayson has had a very good season at Blackpool and there's no reason why he can't manage at a higher level, but as it's his first full season as a manager i'd rather wait another season or so before giving him the gig. That might be a mistake and he might improve so much in a few years that he'd be a premiership manager, but that's the risk you take.

As for Ince. Again, first season in charge. Done a decent job given the situation Macclesfield were in, but i'm still not convinced he's destined for success as a manager. Too early to call.

I have said right from the start that I would love to see Martin Allen here. Has a good track record and wouldn't take any shit.

Definitely my first choice, followed by Coleman.

4 play offs 4 failures, 1 to come! :dunno: Good & bad then

From the mockery

A string of names have been linked with the Walkers Stadium job in recent weeks.

The latest is Martin Allen, who has guided MK Dons to the League Two play-off semi-final.

The Dons are favourites to seal a place at Wembley in tonight`s second leg after the 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury on Monday.

This is the fifth time Allen has guided a team to the play-offs but he has yet to succeed at that stage.

Other people linked include ex-Fulham manager Chris Coleman, Derby boss Billy Davies and Iain Dowie, the Coventry manager as well as Macclesfield manager Paul Ince and Neil Warnock, who quit Sheffield United earlier in the week.

Nigel Worthington is a contender after taking over as caretaker

However, not one name has emerged as a fans' favourite, according to the City Supporters' Club and the Foxes Trust.

"People have different views on who it should be," said Supporters' Club chairman Cliff Ginnetta.

"I wouldn't like to say who the fans' favourite for the job is because it's very split.

"Personally, I don't have any particularly strong views on one candidate or another.

"There are a few names who would be strong candidates.

"Neil Warnock will be there with them. Paul Jewell (who quit Wigan this week) is out of a job, Billy Davies has been mentioned and is a man who has done a lot in the division, and Iain Dowie, who was linked before.

"They have all done it in the division and have experience at our level. I think that's going to stand them in good stead and I would think that's what Milan Mandaric is looking for."

It is a position echoed by Trust chairman Ian Bason.

"I don't think anyone has unanimous backing, unless Martin O'Neill turned round and said he wanted it," he said.

"Whatever man comes up, some people will like and some won't for all sorts of reasons.

"I haven't got a preference. At the end of the day, it's whoever Milan chooses and we have to back that. He will have the task of getting us up and we will have to back that."

Manny Bernstein, the only Leicester-based bookmaker offering odds on the next manager, has Worthington as 6-4 favourite, Ince 7-4 and Stuart Pearce, who was this week sacked by Manchester City, 6-1. Coleman is 10-1, former Wigan boss Paul Jewell is 12-1 and Warnock is 16-1.

Archived