Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cowshedphil

Genuine Question Here

Yes, but WHY is it always us that has to give them a chance? we can't win, if he is successful, he'll bugger off somewhere else without a bye or a thankyou, & if he's not, we pay the price of more failure. Thats why a tried & tested manager has to be a better bet, because he'll have tried his hand at 'bigger clubs' probably failed, & would therefore have no desire to leave for pastures new. As for the MON thing, he was a one off, I don't think ANY club will un-earth another O'Neill, & if you cast your mind back to '96, NONE of us wanted O'Neill, but he proved us wrong, as for Taylor, Bassett, Adams, Levein, the vast majority of us didn't want them either, & we were proved right, on the other hand, I liked Kelly from the off, but alas, that didn't work out so in the last 11 yrs, we've now appointed 7 managers, (if you count Worthington & discounting Allen) they've all lacked experience, & 6 have failed, & this, the 8th, is, I fear, about to crash & burn :frusty:

Even if a tried and tested manager came here, they would still bugger off if they were successful. Its the nature of supporting Leicester City im afraid. All we can hope for in a manager is that they leave us in a better state than when they arrived. You say Martin O'Neill was a one off but to a lesser extent when Brian Little came here, he had no experience in this division, and I think we can all agree he did a good job and laid the foundations for O'Neill. So i disagree about your argument of needing a tried and tested premiership manager. Take Roy Keane, Billy Davies and Tony Mowbray this season. None have managed in the Premiership but have been succesful this season.

Our 3 most succesful managers in my life time of supporting city have been:

Matt Gillies

Promoted from within - manager of Leicester from 1959 to 1968, all in the top league, led Leicester to their first major trophy success, the league Cup in 1964 and took them to three other cup finals: the FA Cup in 1961 and 1963 and the League Cup in 1965 though they lost in the latter three.

Jimmy Bloomfield

Joined us from us Orient where he was player-manager, and had just won the Third Division in his first season as a manager, kept us in thetop league for six years and reached an FA cup semi-final losing to Liverpool in a replay.

Martin O’Neill

Well i guess you know about him but effectively joined us from Wycombe in the Fourth Division, Oh and tried to leave on seceral occasions and some fans, in spite of all the success he brought to the club still feel he betrayed us by walking out.

You could also add Brian little

The upshot is they were all untried and tested at Championship level.

I think you'll find Boston were only actually deducted 10pts, those 10 would STILL not have relegated Macclesfield, it all boils down to motivation & respect, Martin Allen has neither. As for Gregory, Coleman & Pearce achieving no more than Allen, I think managing in the premiership is SIGNIFICANTLY more! As for Keegan not being available, only he can tell you that, Souness, a ****? a clever one then, with a shed full of medals? He has respect & stature within the game, & the only players he ever fell out with were twats, Bellamy for example would fall out with his own shadow. And on a final note, surely, a failed premiership manager is better than an un-proven lower division wannabe??

Yes I'm fully aware of that thanks. I never stated anything different. Macclesfield could have been relegated on the last day. If results had gone their way, Boston wouldn't have gone into administration. Boston's chairman put them into admin towards the end of their game with Wrexham.

As for the rest, Souness is a joker, Keegan isn't interested and managing in the Premiership is not an achievement. Personally I feel Coleman was a strong candidate but he's not achieved significantly more in the game than Allen, primarily because he hasn't been at a club that's had a chance to achieve something. I won't argue that Allen was the strongest candidate because I don't think he was - but it depends whether people like Gary Johnson and Simon Grayson were feasible candidates. And I suspect you would probably argue against them in favour of people like Gregory, Souness and Pearce as well. Which is quite frankly laughable.

I think you'll find Boston were only actually deducted 10pts, those 10 would STILL not have relegated Macclesfield, it all boils down to motivation & respect, Martin Allen has neither. As for Gregory, Coleman & Pearce achieving no more than Allen, I think managing in the premiership is SIGNIFICANTLY more! As for Keegan not being available, only he can tell you that, Souness, a ****? a clever one then, with a shed full of medals? He has respect & stature within the game, & the only players he ever fell out with were twats, Bellamy for example would fall out with his own shadow. And on a final note, surely, a failed premiership manager is better than an un-proven lower division wannabe??

Have you forgotten that Martin Allen picked up a Brentford side which was 4 points adrift of safety in League 1 with 9 games to go, won 5 and drew 3, and kept them up? Have you forgotten that the same man took the same team to two successive play off campaigns and then after resigning, the team gets relegated. I'm no football genius but i'd say that was something to do with the quality of the manager, and the respect the players have for him.

Coleman and Souness could never do anything like that.

The river story just empthasises my point that he can motivate a team.

Martin O’Neill

Well i guess you know about him but effectively joined us from Wycombe in the Fourth Division, Oh and tried to leave on seceral occasions and some fans, in spite of all the success he brought to the club still feel he betrayed us by walking out.

MON came from Norwich.

MON came from Norwich.

Yeh he stopped off to have an argument with their chairman on his way to LCFC.

Yes I'm fully aware of that thanks. I never stated anything different. Macclesfield could have been relegated on the last day. If results had gone their way, Boston wouldn't have gone into administration. Boston's chairman put them into admin towards the end of their game with Wrexham.

As for the rest, Souness is a joker, Keegan isn't interested and managing in the Premiership is not an achievement. Personally I feel Coleman was a strong candidate but he's not achieved significantly more in the game than Allen, primarily because he hasn't been at a club that's had a chance to achieve something. I won't argue that Allen was the strongest candidate because I don't think he was - but it depends whether people like Gary Johnson and Simon Grayson were feasible candidates. And I suspect you would probably argue against them in favour of people like Gregory, Souness and Pearce as well. Which is quite frankly laughable.

I feel managing in the premiership IS an achievement, a) because it is regarded by many as the best league in the world, (I personally don't think it's the best, but it's definitely top 3 with Italy & Spain), b) with literally thousands of football managers across the globe, only a small percentage get this honour, & c) with worldwide tv coverage, premiership managers are recognized internationally. as for Souness being a joker, thats a joke in itself, he was a winner as a player, & a winner as a manager. Picture this scenario, Souness has just been appointed our new manager, I'm now on here calling him useless, failed at every club he's managed, blah, blah,blah, & you'd be saying, "give him a chance, he was the best available". Trouble with me is, I'm very opinionated, & I love Leicester, & it hurts me when I think the club are making the wrong decisions, they never seem to listen to fans opinions, most city fans I talk to, including my brother, are all for giving people a chance, which in some respects is wrong. Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (in fact any of the big clubs) wouldn't jump in at the deep end with people like Allen, Adams or Taylor, they take their time & get the right man, this is how success is achieved & thats what city should have done, we're very similar to Newcastle in some respects, "we don't have time to read his full cv, we need a man now, lets just read the last 6 months"

I bumped into a friend of mine last night, first time for about a week, he's a Notts County fan, & the first thing he said to me was "wey hey, Mad dog Allen, you'll soon be in the same division as us" his argument was, Brentford, Millwall & MK Dons, all put together aren't as big or as prestigious as Leicester, & thats coming from a county fan! Quite frankly, we're a laughing stock. I hope I can come back on here during the season & be pilloried & slated because I was wrong, but until then my views stand.

I feel managing in the premiership IS an achievement, a) because it is regarded by many as the best league in the world, (I personally don't think it's the best, but it's definitely top 3 with Italy & Spain), b) with literally thousands of football managers across the globe, only a small percentage get this honour, & c) with worldwide tv coverage, premiership managers are recognized internationally. as for Souness being a joker, thats a joke in itself, he was a winner as a player, & a winner as a manager. Picture this scenario, Souness has just been appointed our new manager, I'm now on here calling him useless, failed at every club he's managed, blah, blah,blah, & you'd be saying, "give him a chance, he was the best available". Trouble with me is, I'm very opinionated, & I love Leicester, & it hurts me when I think the club are making the wrong decisions, they never seem to listen to fans opinions, most city fans I talk to, including my brother, are all for giving people a chance, which in some respects is wrong. Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (in fact any of the big clubs) wouldn't jump in at the deep end with people like Allen, Adams or Taylor, they take their time & get the right man, this is how success is achieved & thats what city should have done, we're very similar to Newcastle in some respects, "we don't have time to read his full cv, we need a man now, lets just read the last 6 months" I bumped into a friend of mine last night, first time for about a week, he's a Notts County fan, & the first thing he said to me was "wey hey, Mad dog Allen, you'll soon be in the same division as us" his argument was, Brentford, Millwall & MK Dons, all put together aren't as big or as prestigious as Leicester, & thats coming from a county fan! Quite frankly, we're a laughing stock. I hope I can come back on here during the season & be pilloried & slated because I was wrong, but until then my views stand.

Earlier you wanted Souness, now your saying if he was appointed you wouldn't be happy

People say I moan, I'm afraid you on another level!

You are very opiniated, and it hurts you when you think the club are making the wrong descisions as you said, look Milan had bought this club because he wants to make money, not because he supports us, not because he like us, he sees pound signs, If we as fans ain't happy, he ain't happy because he won't be making money, so all i'm saying is he must see something, of course MA could still be a failure, Milan could have picked the wrong man but at the end of the day its not just a gamble for the club, its a gamble for Milan.

EDIT - Besides why are we still argueing this in a Micky Adams thread :frusty:

I feel managing in the premiership IS an achievement, a) because it is regarded by many as the best league in the world, (I personally don't think it's the best, but it's definitely top 3 with Italy & Spain), b) with literally thousands of football managers across the globe, only a small percentage get this honour, & c) with worldwide tv coverage, premiership managers are recognized internationally. as for Souness being a joker, thats a joke in itself, he was a winner as a player, & a winner as a manager. Picture this scenario, Souness has just been appointed our new manager, I'm now on here calling him useless, failed at every club he's managed, blah, blah,blah, & you'd be saying, "give him a chance, he was the best available". Trouble with me is, I'm very opinionated, & I love Leicester, & it hurts me when I think the club are making the wrong decisions, they never seem to listen to fans opinions, most city fans I talk to, including my brother, are all for giving people a chance, which in some respects is wrong. Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal (in fact any of the big clubs) wouldn't jump in at the deep end with people like Allen, Adams or Taylor, they take their time & get the right man, this is how success is achieved & thats what city should have done, we're very similar to Newcastle in some respects, "we don't have time to read his full cv, we need a man now, lets just read the last 6 months"

I bumped into a friend of mine last night, first time for about a week, he's a Notts County fan, & the first thing he said to me was "wey hey, Mad dog Allen, you'll soon be in the same division as us" his argument was, Brentford, Millwall & MK Dons, all put together aren't as big or as prestigious as Leicester, & thats coming from a county fan! Quite frankly, we're a laughing stock. I hope I can come back on here during the season & be pilloried & slated because I was wrong, but until then my views stand.

You seem to be assuming that MM hasn't taken his time or that MA was not his first choice and that he only looked at his last 6 months record, I can't imagine that's anywhere near the reality, of course we'll never know but I think the odds are stacked against your view on that.

Picking a manager to big success to a club is a lottery, they can fail no matter where or how they've performed previously, MM has stated publicly that this is the case and that he will be taking his time to select who he hopes will bring success to LCFC, he or nobody else in football can guarantee that.

As for the opinion of a Notts County fan, so what!

Again you seem to be saying that any manager 'promoted' from a lower league club than LCFC will only take us down to his previous level, where on earth do you get that from as I stated earlier our best manager's of recent years Gillies, Bloomfield, Little and even MON came to us from clubs that "aren't as big or as prestigious as Leicester". This I would guess is the case with the majority of managerial appointments at most clubs.

I respect your severe doubts about the suitability of MA, I have many myself but at least let your doubts be based on logic and fact not what appears to be hysteria.

How exciting. Another candidate for the P&S Club!

First impressions are you'll have to work a bit harder and wind people up a bit further to be sure of getting elected but Barton, Chandler and Ultra would perhaps be willing to offer you some tips.

For my own part I suggest you try the following:

a) Mention the Academy team or Academy players in a favourable light.

b) Criticise Matty Fryatt.

c) Praise Elvis Hammond or Paul Ince etc (if there's ever an etc! :D.

d) Spot too soon that a manager is shit. :D

e) Criticise professionals who "know a damn sight more than you do" - whatever their actual achievements might suggest to the contrary.

f) Fail to worship daily at the altar of "experience".

g) Suggest that the style of our football is important.

i) Suggest anything that might be termed "risky" for our team - like attacking.

j) Suggest anything but dour, defensive full-backs "of a certain age".

k) Suggest anything but "bites-your-ankles" midfielders "of a similar age".

l) Fail to spell the beloved word "experience" correctly.

m) Propose forward looking change - like having young fringe players on the bench and using them or trying an alternative to our 4-4-2 system.

n) Comment on anything you don't see - this rule does not apply to all members of the LSE's (Little-Sir-Echoes) a group of veteran posters plus the odd limpet (or guest) - who spend time preparing candidates for P&S.

I mention them because if you fail to attract their attention you'll never carry the clout needed to join P&S.

Happy posting - and good luck! :D:thumbup::D

Mickey Adams is alright if you want a team full of over 30's...........

Someone posted that he only goes for teams "with potential".......... MK Dons will have a 30,000 all seater stadium from the start of next season. In League 2 I would say that is proof of potential.

Fastest growing town in the UK as well I believe - the potential at MK is massive, I just hope we can get someone that can do things for us - Martin Allen was the man

There was a picture of Adams standing on the sideline with a notebook to hand - it read 'Diagonal to Scowcroft'

A hoof to a targetman positioned on the wing - that was/is the extent of his tactical nous.

There was a picture of Adams standing on the sideline with a notebook to hand - it read 'Diagonal to Scowcroft'

A hoof to a targetman positioned on the wing - that was/is the extent of his tactical nous.

which was why he tried to get Ormondroyd out of retirement to play on the left wing.....! seemed to work so much better for BL.

Hey all! :worship:

Adams has threw in his hat into the MKD ring. I reckon he'll do well there. Will defo sign Scowcroft and maybe Frank Sinclair for experience!

As for the MA thing, he talks the talk..gotta give him time to walk it. I'd rather have a manager with potential (except Ince...Gobshite), than have one that had potential (i.e. been sacked/failed elsewhere).

As for the gobshite Notts Co. fan, MM won't let us get that far. Period. (Not with Ilic :worship: in the team!!!)

Archived