Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicestertillidie86

Ryan Beswick

He's in the squad for the Hinckley match tonight. He played in the 1st half of the Oadby match as well.

Think I've heard of him as an academy player, but I don't really know anything about him.

His stats for last season on the OS (19 appearances, 6 goals) suggest an attacking midfielder. Is that right?

I know you can't read too much into pre-season friendlies, but it seems like Allen's giving him a chance to break into the first team.

If he does, is this a good thing? What position does he play and what's he like?

He's in the squad for the Hinckley match tonight. He played in the 1st half of the Oadby match as well.

Think I've heard of him as an academy player, but I don't really know anything about him.

His stats for last season on the OS (19 appearances, 6 goals) suggest an attacking midfielder. Is that right?

I know you can't read too much into pre-season friendlies, but it seems like Allen's giving him a chance to break into the first team.

If he does, is this a good thing? What position does he play and what's he like?

He's mostly played left wing for the Academy. Intelligent player.

Primarily a left-winger. One of the less immediately impressive players I saw at Academy level last season but seems pretty steady.

Don't know if they still use the phrase but in times past they'd have called him a players player.

As you suggest he looks innocuous but he mostly stays wide, rarely wastes the ball and delivers crosses and passes early and accurately.

Strikers find that bit more time as a result and his skills made him part of a team that plundered stacks of goals for fun and achieved things.

As a bonus he can come inside, scores a few himself and delivers a good set piece both from free kicks and corners.

Beswick sees the pictures quickly and team-mates benefit cos their runs are so rarely wasted.

He affects games by doing simple things well.

Don't know if they still use the phrase but in times past they'd have called him a players player.

As you suggest he looks innocuous but he mostly stays wide, rarely wastes the ball and delivers crosses and passes early and accurately.

Strikers find that bit more time as a result and his skills made him part of a team that plundered stacks of goals for fun and achieved things.

As a bonus he can come inside, scores a few himself and delivers a good set piece both from free kicks and corners.

Beswick sees the pictures quickly and team-mates benefit cos their runs are so rarely wasted.

He affects games by doing simple things well.

A bit of a TPH.

Industrious, effective and popular with his team mates without ever seeking to grab the limelight or over-play the ball.

:whistle:

Does this suggest Beswick to play on the left this season?

Porter as back-up?!

Hopefully it will be Hayes on the left wing and Sheehan left back. Mattock would be good back up for Sheehan, and Beswick and Porter could be left wing back up.

Hopefully it will be Hayes on the left wing and Sheehan left back. Mattock would be good back up for Sheehan, and Beswick and Porter could be left wing back up.

Are you taking the piss? Mattock as back-up to Alan Sheehan?

Sheehan isn't fit to lace Mattock's boots. Good lordy.

He may end up playing Chambers at left back.

I think Chambers will do a stint at left back if we don't sign a left back or Mattock doesn't do the business. I do think that Chambers and Kaebi down the right hand side could be devastating, the pace between them two is horrific.

Allen looks like he wants a team full of pace that will get the ball forward quickly and stretch teams. There won't be many temas fancying playing us this season.

Foooking hell, give the lad a chance this season. I have watched the pre season freindlys and he has impressed me in both. I know your only going to say "yes but its against shite" but there is only a handfull of players that have impressed and Sheehan is one of them.

Foooking hell, give the lad a chance this season. I have watched the pre season freindlys and he has impressed me in both. I know your only going to say "yes but its against shite" but there is only a handfull of players that have impressed and Sheehan is one of them.

That's fair enough, but what makes you think a couple of decent performances against crap opposition puts him in poll position over Mattock for the left back spot? Mattock proved his worth in The Championship at the back end of last season, what has changed since then?

I'm all for Sheehan being given a chance if he get's back to his best, but if Mattock is doing the business as well I can't see how Sheehan will get in?

Good player Mattock and much in favour but a lot is being expected of him. He and Sheehan aren't really similar. Both support well and have good close control. Mattock is more in your face but I doubt he'll ever create as much as Sheehan given equal chances.

There's a part for both to play and one other aspect people should think of.

Mattock has already interested at least two of the top clubs. It is one of the reasons he's been fast tracked in my view and others - it gets his value up.

If Leicester get up we might keep him but if not and he maintains the promise he's shown, I can only imagine he'll move quickly onto bigger things. But we'll still need an attacking left-back and Sheehan on his current form is exactly that.

Good player Mattock and much in favour but a lot is being expected of him. He and Sheehan aren't really similar. Both support well and have good close control. Mattock is more in your face but I doubt he'll ever create as much as Sheehan given equal chances.

There's a part for both to play and one other aspect people should think of.

Mattock has already interested at least two of the top clubs. It is one of the reasons he's been fast tracked in my view and others - it gets his value up.

If Leicester get up we might keep him but if not and he maintains the promise he's shown, I can only imagine he'll move quickly onto bigger things. But we'll still need an attacking left-back and Sheehan on his current form is exactly that.

Do you honestly believe that Alan Sheehan get's forward more than Mattock? I know Mattock played left wing for some of his first team appearances at the end of last season but if there's one player i'd want breaking forward from left back it would be Mattock over Sheehan.

Mattock is quicker, more confident going forward, more aggressive, quicker thinker, is happy to stay on the touch line or cut inside.

I'm not mocking Sheehan's abilities because I was impressed with him when he broke in to the first team, but he's not improved since then and his loan spell at Mansfield was hardly a huge success.

I'm willing to put myself on the line and say that Alan Sheehan will never play at the top level of English football where as Mattock invariably will.

Joe Mattock appears to be the epitomy of an attacking left back to me.

Do you honestly believe that Alan Sheehan get's forward more than Mattock? I know Mattock played left wing for some of his first team appearances at the end of last season but if there's one player i'd want breaking forward from left back it would be Mattock over Sheehan.

Mattock is quicker, more confident going forward, more aggressive, quicker thinker, is happy to stay on the touch line or cut inside.

I'm not mocking Sheehan's abilities because I was impressed with him when he broke in to the first team, but he's not improved since then and his loan spell at Mansfield was hardly a huge success.

I'm willing to put myself on the line and say that Alan Sheehan will never play at the top level of English football where as Mattock invariably will.

Joe Mattock appears to be the epitomy of an attacking left back to me.

Yes I do think Mattock gets forward as much as Sheehan. He can operate almost like a winger if he wishes. What I said was he won't create as much - in a direct sense.

Mattock supports closely and tirelessly but tends to feed the forwards rather than create directly. Sheehan is more direct. He's a far more accomplished long passer and, indeed, free kick taker. If there's a final ball on he'll spot it.

Both have great attributes. You may be right in your last line - Mattock's style of play is the height of fashion. To me we're lucky to have both and while your last line might be prophetic I think Sheehan has a rare touch of class for a left-back but, being far less aggressive in attitude that class is easily overlooked.

Yes I do think Mattock gets forward as much as Sheehan. He can operate almost like a winger if he wishes. What I said was he won't create as much - in a direct sense.

Mattock supports closely and tirelessly but tends to feed the forwards rather than create directly. Sheehan is more direct. He's a far more accomplished long passer and, indeed, free kick taker. If there's a final ball on he'll spot it.

Both have great attributes. You may be right in your last line - Mattock's style of play is the height of fashion. To me we're lucky to have both and while your last line might be prophetic I think Sheehan has a rare touch of class for a left-back but, being far less aggressive in attitude that class is easily overlooked.

I thought Sheehan was capable of everything you've described him to be, but he's not shown it at first team level for either us or Mansfield. How many assists did make at Mansfield? I don't want to slate him too much because full backs don't create 10-15 goals a season and you're right that his free kick taking and long passing are his strong points but the rest of his game such as getting forward with the ball at his feet isn't as strong as Mattock's.

I've not seen Mattock take set pieces that often, I doubt they will be as strong as Sheehan's but his crossing from out wide has looked pretty good to me. I'm sure it's something the coaches will be working on tirelessly with him to improve it even further.

I think Sheehan's a busted flush at Leicester where as Mattock's the golden boy right now. You often only get one chance to make a name for yourself as a youngster at a club, especially if there are other youngsters in your position hot on your heels. It's Mattock all the way for me this season, the ability he has at his age is rare.

Archived