Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Leicester 1 Portsmouth 3 - Post Match Reactions

dissapointing scoreline, sounds like a good performance dont think many keepers in Championship are as good as James and it sounds like LuaLua caused problems so hopefully we can win by 2/3 goals at Cambridge and go into Blackpool positivley so with that teams performance who will start the Blackpool game also i notice Rowe-Turner has now been given a squad number and was on the bench today do you think Allen rate him highly.

Team for Blackpool:

-------------------------------------------------------------Henderson----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------Kaebi---------N'Gotty-----Kisnorbo--------Chambers---------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Kishishev-----Wesolowski---Clemence------Hume????/Hayes-------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------De Vries/Hume---Campbell------------------------------------------------

Subs:

Nielsen

Stearman

Newton/Hellings

Mattock/Hayes

De Vries/Hume/Fryatt

Despite the scoreline I think we've still got reason to be happy with this performance. However today highlighted the fact once again that Chambers is not a left back and that Stearman is still crap.

I thought De Vries had a good game apart from the odd De Vries moments we've been familiar with. His pass for Hume's goal was superb. :thumbup:

We created chances and could have scored more had it not been for weak- ish finishing and David James in goal. The difference betwenn the two sides was that they took their chances when they had them and we didn't :dunno:

I went today & .........

Hendo 6-7 did ok. some he conceded James would have saved! We need a proper no'1

Stearman 6 looked slow and had little concentration We need a proper right back

Bruno 8 a rock :clap:

McAuley 7 not too much to say solid but not outstanding need to decide between him & Paddy

Chambers 7 made some good attacking runs We need a proper left back

Kish 7 got stuck in and made 3 or 4 great tackles set piece master? not on this display!

Clem 8 good tackling good captain good signing end of! :clap:

Weso 6 Final ball poor he has no pace still not a terrible performance though We need a proper left sided attacking mid

Newton 7 did quite well but he never beat his man was not out of place though, hope Kaebbi is the new Ronaldo (crosses fingers)

Huuuuuume 8 played very well took his chance very coolly sharp! :clap: 1st choice no doubt

De Vries 8 very well played today great vision to set up the goal really battled today put himself about (MOM for me :o ) :clap::worship:

Subs

Campbell 7 tricks without substance, gave energy to the front line, almost had a punch up at a corner +1 point

Sappleton 5 maybe harsh but I don't see what he does yet! Was not involved in the game at all

Hellings 7 looked quite an athlete, showed desire did well with his limited time

Kisnorbo 8 won headers, looked solid had handbags with their #34 +1 point :clap:

Porter 7 good exchanges with chambers looked lively don't know why he has not figured earlier

Crowd they brought 700ish and total i'm guessing 10,000 tops

Hume played very well as usual, but tbh i thought De Vries was our best player on the pitch. He looked like he put a lot of effort into everything he did and great vision to set up Hume for the goal.

Does anyone know the reason why there was no Kaebi ?

Wasn't that impressed to be honest.

Main concerns:

- Very dissapointed to see a right back playing at left back again this season, I think Chambers played well overall but we had problems down that side throughout the game, most notably for their first goal.

- Central defence pairing of N'Gotty and McAuley is too slow, and Portsmouth passed the ball through us with ease at times.

- Whilst de Vries had a decent game, he only showed what he could do when the ball was played to feet. Time and time again it is hoofed forward from goalkeeper/a defender, we all know he can't do anything with it - give it up.

- Wesolowski playing right wing, whats all that about? He's more than good enough to play in the middle in place of Kishishev from what I saw today. Gradel / Newton / Kaebi are all better options than Weso out wide.

Hume played very well though. :thumbup:

I wouldnt put too much faith in kaebi after watching him in the asia cup online , though to be fare he didnt get long before being subbed . Just dont expect a world beater . :mellow:

Stearman's a liability,thought Clemence was class,De Vries will need much more than a few nice touches before I will sing he praises,he was fooking rubbish a week ago and my opinion's not changed!

Hume played very well as usual, but tbh i thought De Vries was our best player on the pitch. He looked like he put a lot of effort into everything he did and great vision to set up Hume for the goal.

Does anyone know the reason why there was no Kaebi ?

where is kaebi these days...i woz told he was going to feature...will he ever play :whistle:

De Vries was brilliant today. I just hope, if he does get given a chance to stay here, he doesn't return to his old ways.

Clemence :thumbup: I'm really starting to like this guy.

De Vries was brilliant today. I just hope, if he does get given a chance to stay here, he doesn't return to his old ways.

Clemence :thumbup: I'm really starting to like this guy.

As he was against Spurs. Says a lot about the man really, he cheats himself and he cheats the fans by only turning up against "big" sides.

Henderson - 6 - Did ok, caught out of position a few times and a good keeper would have saved the last goal

Chambers - 7 - Looked really uncomfortable at LB but did ok

McAuley - 7 - Did well, lost Nugent a few times but recovered well

N'gotty - 7 - Solid performance, didn't always fill me with confidence though. Should have scored.

Stearman - 6 -Not great, got sucked in a bit and left his man free once or twice. Offered nothing going forward.

Clemence - 8 - Tackled well, passed the ball well and had some good efforts.

Kishishev - 7 - Decent performance, worked hard but some of his passes were wayward and he was diving in a bit

Weso - 7 - Did as well as you could expect a holding midfielder to do playing on the wing

Mattock - 6 - Didn't get much of the ball before he had to go off injured

Hume - 8 - Quality as usual

De Vries - 8 - Held the ball up well, brought other players into the game and caused some problems for two of the best CBs in the premiership. Bit casual at times with his passing but did enough to merit a starting place against Blackpool

Subs:

Newton - 7 - Did quite well, would have scored if James hadn't made that ridiculous save

Kisnorbo - 7 - Fitted back in nicely

Campbell - 7 - Looked sharp and should have scored

Porter - 6 - Rarely touched the ball

Sappleton - 6 - Put himself about up front but didn't show much quality

Hellings - 6 - A few nice touches but didn't see enough of him

Well the game was definitely better than the scoreline suggests and the team looks a damn sight better than last season.

I think the big surprise was De Vries - he had a great game and suppplied a cracking pass to set up Hume for the goal. He looked strong and fit too, a far cry from the donkey he was a couple of season's ago. It's clear that MA plans to use him as a classic big centre forward together with the smaller Hume or DJ.

My only worry is that we were still far too lightweight at the back, and Stearman looked somewhat out of his depth to be honest. I can see one or two more signings being made before long, else we could be in trouble from the start. Nonetheless, there were a lot of positives and the team appeared fit, strong and hungry.

The future's bright! :scarf:

very pleased with today. Thought we created many chances and if it wern't James I think we'd have got 3 or 4. Considering their defence of Lauren, distin, campbell and Hridersson - one of the best in the prem IMO our strikers were brilliant and I firmly believe De vries has a lot to offer us this season and seems like anoter new signing. Only negative I would say was Mattock going off after about 35 minutes injured.

Henderson - 6

Stearman - 7 - did ok, improvement on last season, may have been at fault for their 2nd though

McAuley - 7 - struggled a bit with lua lua's pace but everything in the air was dealt with very well

N'Gotty - 7 - same as McAuley. Got his head on two corners and looks a real threat from set pieces

Chambers - 8 - Good in the air, covered well. Very right footed though and had to check back when going forward

Wesolowski - 7 - out of position but still gave a decent show

Clemence - 9 motm - brilliant was everywhere, looked like the complete midfielder, lead by exmple too

Kishishev - 7 - battled well, didn't get forward much though

Mattock - 7 - did well until injury

MDV - 8 - great ballfor Humes goal, distant cry from the typical De vries we all know

Huuuuuume - 7 good goal and did well especially against Campbell

Newton 7

DJ - 7 - Looked sharp and dropped off well, just lacked finish

Kisnorbo

good game, decent atmosphere at times and very promising from us. we dominated the 2nd half in my opinion and would have fully deserved a draw.

As he was against Spurs. Says a lot about the man really, he cheats himself and he cheats the fans by only turning up against "big" sides.

Hasn't it crossed your mind that for him to still be at this club, starting in the penultimate friendly and earning a lot of respect off many fans and MA in the process the guy must be doing something right. Give him a break.

Hasn't it crossed your mind that for him to still be at this club, starting in the penultimate friendly and earning a lot of respect off many fans and MA in the process the guy must be doing something right. Give him a break.

I suggest you read what i said properly.

:laugh: :doh:

Yes I'm sure De Vries, who was halfway out the door at the start of the season, who isn't classed as a first choice striker, only tries against the big teams.

For god sake he's been trying ever since the start of this pre season. He's lost a great deal of weight, looks a better player and is fighting his way back into this side.

Like Tommeh says, give him a break.

:laugh: :doh:

Yes I'm sure De Vries, who was halfway out the door at the start of the season, who isn't classed as a first choice striker, only tries against the big teams.

For god sake he's been trying ever since the start of this pre season. He's lost a great deal of weight, looks a better player and is fighting his way back into this side.

Like Tommeh says, give him a break.

Look, De Vries played really well today, and i'd like to think he's turned the corner, however he's not played like this in the previous friendlies has he. In fact the last time he played really well was agaist Spurs. Coincidence? Maybe so, but considering he was pretty shit for the rest of time, you do wonder.

You'd like to think he was fighting to be fit because of his love for the club and it's fans. Somehow the 8k a week says different.

Let's hope we see this performance level on a regular basis though, and i hope he does it, just don't go popping any champagne just yet.

Came away disappointed with the score line and with a sense of deja vu - Chambers at left back, Weso on the wing - surely not how Allen is going to start the season.

Henderson - average, thought he could have done more on the last goal

Stearman - OK

N'Gotty - his worse display shown up as slow, head two chances wide/over

McAualy - OK

Chambers - Not a left back, we were very exposed down this side especially when Newton went Awol.

Weso - Did fine considering playing on the right unlucky not to score much better when moved to the centre

Kish - some good tackles but beaten for pace on occasion

Clemence - Fairly anonymous but Took control of the side when Kish went off and Weso moved into the centre

Newton - As usual good in patches went awol for large parts of the game

Mattock - N/A

Hume - typical Hume performance unlucky t only get one goal

MDV - Worked his socks off created several chances and unlucky not score himself

Campbell - Blew a string of chance got involved in some argy bargy

Sappleton - poor first touch

Can't be bothered with the rest, the last ten minutes were a pantomime, 3 subs by Portsmouth in the 87th minute - what's the point?

Quick Links

Latest News

Manager Speaks

Latest Info

Leicester City Ticket Information

Stadium

Walkers Stadium Overview

Leicester City 1-3 Portsmouth

Posted on: Sat 04 Aug 2007

An early Iain Hume strike could not prevent Leicester City from slipping to a 3-1 pre-season defeat at the hands of Portsmouth at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Pompey hit back through goals from new signing David Nugent, Lomana Lualua and substitute Frank Songo'o but the scoreline could have been a lot different had it not been for some world-class saves from David James.

He denied Hume, DJ Campbell and James Wesolowski in the second half as the Foxes more than matched their Premier League opponents.

Article continues

Advertisement

But some quality finishing from Harry Redknapp's side proved to be the difference on the day.

Portsmouth almost opened the scoring inside 30 seconds when Nugent's deep cross was volleyed just over by the advancing Sulley Muntari.

Nugent was again in the thick of the action on six minutes when he dragged his left foot shot wide from eight-yards after breaking clear of the hosts' defence.

At the other end, Hume shot wide from the edge of the area after picking up Wesolowski's through ball.

And it was the hosts who opened the scoring in the 14th minute thanks to the prolific Hume.

Strike partner Mark de Vries did well to hold off the Pompey challenges in the middle of the park before threading a killer through ball to the Canadian international, who coolly slotted his first-time effort past a stranded James for the opener.

The visitors almost immediately equalised when Nugent latched on to Pedro Mendes' pass. But Paul Henderson did brilliantly to cling on to the striker's attempted lob from close range.

But Portsmouth did equalise on 20 minutes when Nugent side-footed home Mvuemba's inch-perfect cross after good work by Mendes.

Henderson got down well to save Mvuemba's drive moments later then an injured Joe Mattock made way for Shaun Newton in the 24th minute.

Mvuemba was testing City down the right flank and his right-footed volley from a tight angle just flew over the bar on 33 minutes but Henderson had his effort covered.

James saved from captain Stephen Clemence's free-kick a minute later then Sylvain Distin glanced clear Newton's teasing cross with Wesolowski about to pounce.

Nugent curled his effort narrowly over the bar in the 43rd minute and that was to be the last meaningful action of the first half.

Matt Taylor, Noe Pamarot and Djimi Traore came on at the start of the second half before a world class save from James thwarted Hume; the former England keeper tipping the striker's dipping effort around the post for a corner.

And that proved dividends as Lomana Lualua handed the visitors the lead on 48 minutes when he crashed home Nugent's low cross.

James was at it again in the 53rd minute when he tipped Wesolowski's goalbound drive on to the cross bar with the rebound flying away to safety.

Patrick Kisnorbo, back after Asian Cup duty with Australia, replaced the injured Gareth McAuley on 55 minutes.

Bruno N'Gotty headed inches wide from Clemence's corner three minutes later before Hume's effort drifted agonisingly wide with James beaten.

On 65 minutes DJ Campbell and Levi Porter replaced Hume and Radostin Kishishev as the Foxes pushed for the leveller.

Campbell was immediately involved and his attempted lob found the arms of James before Kisnorbo's bullet header flew over the bar from Clemence's corner on 69 minutes.

Clemence's free-kick went just over before Reneil Sappleton came on for N'Gotty in the 72nd minute.

De Vries went close soon after he turned Distin inside the area then Frank Songo'o replaced Lauren.

Campbell shot straight at James in the 78th minute before the Pompey shotstopper produced another great save to deny the former Birmingham hitman.

But the visitors sealed the game as a contest on 82 minutes when Songo'o drilled home from the edge of the area after neat work by Lualua.

Clemence then made way for Sergio Hellings while Lathanial Rowe-Turner came on for the impressive De Vries late on.

Taylor hit the post in stoppage time whilst under pressure from Richard Stearman but it remained 3-1 at the final whistle.

City: Henderson, Stearman, McAuley (Kisnorbo 55), N'Gotty (Sappleton 72), Chambers, Wesolowski, Clemence © (Hellings 82), Kishishev (Porter 65), Mattock (Newton 24), Hume (DJ Campbell 65), De Vries (Rowe-Turner 88). Subs not used: Nielsen.

Portsmouth: James, Lauren, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson, Mvuemba, Davis, Mendes Muntari, Nugent, Lualua. Subs: Ashdown, Craine, Pamarot, Songo'o, Traore, O'Brien, Hughes.

Referee: Kevin Friend

Attendance: 8,914

Archived