Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Same crap different season

There were many of us myself included not at the game yesterday but reading the comments on the forum have left me wondering if in fact we've improved at all since the arrival of Martin Allen.

Some worries for me that I've picked up on reading the various threads from yesterdays match.

• A lot of money has been spent and a dozen or so new faces were added to the squad yet we only started with 4 new faces yesterday
  • MA seems to be following the trend of our last 2 managers by playing players out of position.
  • We dominated many games last season without taking the points due to our inability to score.
  • Mattock aside our youngsters look destined for another season in the reserves.

I know it's early doors but for those of us not there I'd appreciate some comments from other members on whether after yesterdays performance we've improved or not.

• We dominated many games last season without taking the points due to our inability to score.

That's the only thing that concerns me at the moment.

Early days. 10 games will give more of a clue. Some positives from y'day: Clem and Kish in midfield, Chambers until he went off, Bruno.

Scoring looks like it will be a problem again, however. Agree with Lisa, this is the area where work needs doing and not just up front. A thrusting midfielder type (a la a poor man's Gerrard) is required plus someone who can poach goals. Will Cambell be the answer? The jury is out but don't despair just yet.

There were many of us myself included not at the game yesterday but reading the comments on the forum have left me wondering if in fact we've improved at all since the arrival of Martin Allen.

Some worries for me that I've picked up on reading the various threads from yesterdays match.

• A lot of money has been spent and a dozen or so new faces were added to the squad yet we only started with 4 new faces yesterday
  • MA seems to be following the trend of our last 2 managers by playing players out of position.
  • Mattock aside our youngsters look destined for another season in the reserves.

I know it's early doors but for those of us not there I'd appreciate some comments from other members on whether after yesterdays performance we've improved or not.

I went yesterday and I am seriously worried, to be perfectly honest it was the performance of an RK and CL team for at least 70 minutes.

Firstly I think it possibly was a good thing that only 4 started because the team played like strangers and the new signing were probably the more disappointing performers, with the exception of N'Gotty.

Yes, MA did play players out of position and his tactics were very narrow minded, hoof to de Vries every time, I'm sure the bloke was sick of it after a while. Time and time again we were short of a left midfielder when they attacked, partly the reason why Mattock was poor, he had no protection.

I wouldn't say we dominated at all to be honest, the first 70 minutes they outplayed us and it was only Grayson's decision to sit back on the lead that allowed us to throw the kitchen sink at them. Our inability to score, IMO was mainly down to the strange tactics.

I'm not sure how Allen will react to Mattock's performance but it was self-inflicted really. If you don't play a proper left-winger your full-back is going to be exposed which Mattock was. Therefore he was really nervous and simply struggled with the basics.

I would say we have slightly improved but you could tell we had a manager in charge who has not managed at this level before. Also for all the optimism about Clemence, he did nothing more than a Stephen Hughes would have done. He seemed pretty feeble in the challenge and his passing was rarely adventurous.

I went yesterday and I am seriously worried, to be perfectly honest it was the performance of an RK and CL team for at least 70 minutes.

Firstly I think it possibly was a good thing that only 4 started because the team played like strangers and the new signing were probably the more disappointing performers, with the exception of N'Gotty.

Yes, MA did play players out of position and his tactics were very narrow minded, hoof to de Vries every time, I'm sure the bloke was sick of it after a while. Time and time again we were short of a left midfielder when they attacked, partly the reason why Mattock was poor, he had no protection.

I wouldn't say we dominated at all to be honest, the first 70 minutes they outplayed us and it was only Grayson's decision to sit back on the lead that allowed us to throw the kitchen sink at them. Our inability to score, IMO was mainly down to the strange tactics.

I'm not sure how Allen will react to Mattock's performance but it was self-inflicted really. If you don't play a proper left-winger your full-back is going to be exposed which Mattock was. Therefore he was really nervous and simply struggled with the basics.

I would say we have slightly improved but you could tell we had a manager in charge who has not managed at this level before. Also for all the optimism about Clemence, he did nothing more than a Stephen Hughes would have done. He seemed pretty feeble in the challenge and his passing was rarely adventurous.

Agree with all the above particularly the hoof ball tactic which Blackpool easily defended as you would expect with Grayson as manager. I know we have failings in midfield and defence but my major concern is a lack of fire power up front we need an out and out goal scorer and sadly they are like rocking horse sh*t!

Its unfair after one game to start comparing the football under RK to MA! There may have been similarities to the result and at times the performance but its the first game FFS! People need to chill out and remember that its a long, long season and we will get better results along the way.

My only concern is that the midfield was bypassed, which seemed to be why our attacks didn't lead to goals. With a quality midfield for the first time in years, attacking through it with the ball on the floor, rather than over it, seems a much better idea.

The only time Clemence got the ball was when he dropped almost into defence and then whacked it long like they were doing. That disappointed me more than anything else. As clumsy as Kishishev was at times, he was physically excellent and played it simple more. He just needs to impose himself on the game.

Its unfair after one game to start comparing the football under RK to MA! There may have been similarities to the result and at times the performance but its the first game FFS! People need to chill out and remember that its a long, long season and we will get better results along the way.

i agree the amount of chances we had yesterday was a joke, the ball was just not going to go into the back of that net and i thought the blackpool goal was a disgrace not kicking it out. on another day we could and would have won 4-0 5-1

i agree the amount of chances we had yesterday was a joke, the ball was just not going to go into the back of that net and i thought the blackpool goal was a disgrace not kicking it out. on another day we could and would have won 4-0 5-1

I didnt want to say it out loud yesterday but I was thinking "its gonna be one of those days".

Inconsistancy is our problem and has been for years, Yesterday one minute we looked really good (TBF Better than we have in the last 4 years only just though) then the next minute we look like we'd struggle to beat Nuneaton e.t.c and it is literally a case of minute's between looking good and loking awful.

disagree with that i thought that bruno, chambers, kishishev and clemence all did ok

disagree with the bit about clemence being the same as hughes aswell. clemence was a lot stronger in the challenge yesterday than hughes has ever been while playing for us and his passing was ok accept for a few times when he gave it away.

I did plan on writing my own reply to this thread but I'd just have typed exactly the same thing as you, well said.

One thing you can say is that Allen was not afraid to change from 4-4-2, to 3-4-3 when we went a goal down, where as kelly would have kept the same system!

exaclty, there was no doubt we went for it later on, though we were pretty exposed at the back and if it hadn't been for Bruno could have lost 2 or even 3.

One thing that I think did screw us over was chambers injury (And I don't mane the fact it lead to their goal.) 1stly I though he was doing really well going forward, running at players and doing Newton's job for him. Also we have Fryatt as an unused sub if it wern't for chambers injury surely he'd have got on for a good 15 or so and another body there to potentially put away the vast amount of chances we created.

A few of you are going to have to learn that it is possible to lose games and it's not the end of the world. We had over 20 shots on goal yesterday and came agonisingly close on three or four occasions. There were weak points but we expected this before the game.

It may take a few weeks or even months for this side to come good - look at Wolves last season. They were hovering in mid-table last winter.

I worry that the majority of our fans seem to be far too impatient and reactionary to allow any time to the new setup at all.

exaclty, there was no doubt we went for it later on, though we were pretty exposed at the back and if it hadn't been for Bruno could have lost 2 or even 3.

One thing that I think did screw us over was chambers injury (And I don't mane the fact it lead to their goal.) 1stly I though he was doing really well going forward, running at players and doing Newton's job for him. Also we have Fryatt as an unused sub if it wern't for chambers injury surely he'd have got on for a good 15 or so and another body there to potentially put away the vast amount of chances we created.

Agreed! :thumbup:

A few of you are going to have to learn that it is possible to lose games and it's not the end of the world. We had over 20 shots on goal yesterday and came agonisingly close on three or four occasions. There were weak points but we expected this before the game.

It may take a few weeks or even months for this side to come good - look at Wolves last season. They were hovering in mid-table last winter.

I worry that the majority of our fans seem to be far too impatient and reactionary to allow any time to the new setup at all.

I know we had a few shots on goal but i didn't realise it was 20! On another day if we create that amount i think we could score 3 or 4 goals!

Indeed. It doesn't help though when the back page of the Mercury reads, Mandaric: "I want the premiership now".

Agreed. People forget that Steve Bruce was apparently one game away from the sack and Sunderland I think lost there first 4 or 5 and both still managed to go up. We have lost one game and the doom and gloom merchants are thriving! People booing players on the first day was another shocker for me to hear as it just signifies that at Leicester, some fans are amongst the most unrealistic in this country!

BTW, I suppose the pre-season favourites like Charlton, Sheff Utd and Wolves all had perfect starts?? Nooooooooooooooooooot!

[*]We dominated many games last season without taking the points due to our inability to score.

Not true IMHO... you make some fair points, at the moment all that can be said is "it's just one game", but last season i saw plenty of games were we got something despite having no right what so ever to do so! (Wolves away?).

Indeed. It doesn't help though when the back page of the Mercury reads, Mandaric: "I want the premiership now".

Correct. I only saw that on the way back from the ground yesterday. If he wants the Premiership now then we need one or two more players. Hopefully he'll have seen this now and will go all out to bring in the likes of Murphy and Riordan - and even god forbid a left-back.

Correct. I only saw that on the way back from the ground yesterday. If he wants the Premiership now then we need one or two more players. Hopefully he'll have seen this now and will go all out to bring in the likes of Murphy and Riordan - and even god forbid a left-back.

Perhaps after what Mandaric saw yday he is selling up here and going to buy Bolton!!! :D:unsure:

The reason i'm so pissed and finding it so hard to take is it another loss, lost in the same way (Ok maybe we played marginly better yesterday) and it's been going on for 4 years+ now, for me its not "just 1 competative game of the season" it's getting abit tired, boring and tedious now, season after season, game after game you can almost gaurentee a loss, yesterday I felt different I had optomism, and then at the end of the game it was just a kick in the teeth.

Prehaps this is being slightly naive and many newly promoted teams have gone on to do well in there first season in this league but we have all said this season we need to show improvement atleast, and IMO if we are going to improve we have to be beating teams like Blackpool, that's not being disrespectful to Blackpool, and as I said prehaps i'm being slightly naive and maybe Blackpool will be one of the surprise packages.

Archived