Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Charlton Post Match Wake

What a load of testicles.

On the plus side, we couldn't seriously have expected to have beaten a freshly relegated side... no matter how fooking shite they were to get relegated.

Exactly. Not all relegated teams are going to be the same.

However poor Megson turns out to be, and we would have to wait at least 3/4 months to be sure of that, we need to keep him here long enough to convince any successor that there is job security at City. Having a new manager every month is damaging in more than the one, obvious way of unsettling the whole team.

If any of the players don't want to play for Megson, they know where the door is. I'm sure he knows many players who would play at the Walkers.

Fact is that we must've been knackered from the forest game.

Charlton also played midweek. Therefore I'm questioning the fitness, or lack of, of the squad. I am also questioning the team selection. The choice of players used on the bench. The inability to see that concentration is needed when defending, and that standing off attacking players will just get you into trouble. I could go on.

After the 2nd, I fully expected the worst.

Well that is up there with the worst games I've ever been to. Everything seemed to go wrong.

First of all:

1. Team selection was poor in my opinion. Why did he play Chambers at CM instead of Kishishev? Also, I still don't think Mattock is ready yet. He seems to be lost every game. I'm not going to blame him for it though because he has no experience yet at this level and confidence will come in time. Also the decision to play Cort up front was a strange one I thought.

2. Fans were complete twats again. Singing anti- Megson songs and Martin Allen songs again. There was one section of our fans (that I was in) were the only ones singing and many of this group were having a go at the rest of our fans. I don't like that to be honest.

Something went on also that got a few people ejected and things got a bit heated. I'm not sure exactly what went on but I saw a couple of people crying afterwards :unsure:

3. Oh, and we didn't get a seat on the train home :angry:

4. I was also vocally disabled due to having a cold and very little voice <_<

On a brighter note, it was nice to meet Lisa and the rest of the Foxes Talk gang. :thumbup:

That was poor, very poor.

As has been commented on elsewhere, the team selection put a worry in my mind for a start, not forgetting the substitutes at half time.

The front pairing was atrocious. I was pretty surprised that arguably our least fit front two strikes both started at the same time against a very steady Charlton defence, without Paddy McCarthy of course. Cort and Fryatt played to close together for my liking, every time one of them won something they were on top of each other and managed to get in each others way. I'd hate to see them start together on Tuesday, regardless if Fryatt has managed to win back his "golden boy" tag after "changing the game on Tuesday"

Clemence was the only person for me yesterday that can really come out with any credibility. Without Wesolowki, he did look lost at times but I thought without him they would of walked through our midfield at times.

Stearman was poor I thought yesterday, one sloppy pass after another and he still doesn't seem bothered to me at times. Mattock looked out of his depth.

It was a bit shit. They were two retarded goals to conceed - one from a throw in, and one from a flat, slow cross that led to Kisnorbo and McAuley challenging for the same ball.

The left side of Mattock and Sheehan was completely overrun. Granted, Mills and Sam were a good combination, but it doesn't help when both players insist on not making much of an attempt to close down.

Clemence was the only player that tried to make things happen. Unfortunately, the rest around him were on a different wavelength.

The only chances I can recall came from two long range efforts - one from Clemence in the first half, one from Kishishev in the second.

We simply didn't look like scoring.

Charlton are without doubt one of the best teams in this division, but we didn't compete.

2-0. It should've been a cricket score. But it wasn't.

I'm not happy with the result. I'm sure no-one is happy, but if we went down fighting, playing with passion, i would've come out of South East London thinking...we did alright. But instead, i came away cursing under the sun. F***, S***, T**t, N*b :mad:

It was a bit shit. They were two retarded goals to conceed - one from a throw in, and one from a flat, slow cross that led to Kisnorbo and McAuley challenging for the same ball.

The left side of Mattock and Sheehan was completely overrun. Granted, Mills and Sam were a good combination, but it doesn't help when both players insist on not making much of an attempt to close down.

Clemence was the only player that tried to make things happen. Unfortunately, the rest around him were on a different wavelength.

The only chances I can recall came from two long range efforts - one from Clemence in the first half, one from Kishishev in the second.

We simply didn't look like scoring.

Charlton are without doubt one of the best teams in this division, but we didn't compete.

Is that selective memory or was the commentator mistaken when he mentioned an early shot from Sheehan that was blocked when apparently well hit and on target? How ironic, considering how he's singled out for blame in a generally dire performance all round, that had his mystery shot gone in he'd have been our top scorer.

Seems to me from the player ratings that, quite apart from Sheehan and Mattock, there were six other first choice players who were diabolical in a generally dire all-round performance.

How would a manager explain so many players underperforming at the same time. Cos it beggar's belief to me.

Is that selective memory or was the commentator mistaken when he mentioned an early shot from Sheehan that was blocked when apparently well hit and on target? How ironic, considering how he's singled out for blame in a generally dire performance all round, that had his mystery shot gone in he'd have been our top scorer.

Seems to me from the player ratings that, quite apart from Sheehan and Mattock, there were six other first choice players who were diabolical in a generally dhttp://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/style_images/1/folder_editor_images/rte-italic.png

Italicire all-round performance.

How would a manager explain so many players underperforming at the same time. Cos it beggar's belief to me.

You really do find as many ways as possible for the lad not to get stick, don't you?

If Clem's shot hadn't hit the post we might have salvaged an unlikely point.

If McAuley and Kisnorbo hadn't made themselves look such twats when challenging for a ball, Charlton might not have scored.

Or if Megson had not played Carl Cort we might have looked dangerous up front.

If Megson had played Ferreira or De Vries or Kaebi or Andy fooking King we might have won

Scoweh's not the only one to have mentioned the lack of closing down by Sheehan, others have too. He had a bad game Thrac, simple as that. Its a stupid argument. Get over it.

Seems to me from the player ratings that, quite apart from Sheehan and Mattock, there were six other first choice players who were diabolical in a generally dire all-round performance.

A shot that was blocked. You heard it on the radio.

Is that how desperate you've become?

You really do find as many ways as possible for the lad not to get stick, don't you?

If McAuley and Kisnorbo hadn't made themselves look such twats when challenging for a ball, Charlton might not have scored.

If Megson had played Ferreira or De Vries or Kaebi or Andy fooking King we might have won

Scoweh's not the only one to have mentioned the lack of closing down by Sheehan, others have too. He had a bad game Thrac, simple as that. Its a stupid argument. Get over it.

I have no problem at all accepting that he had a bad game. It just concerns me that whenever things go wrong it is always down to the most inexperienced players when, just as often, it is actually our MOST experienced players who's blunders prove most costly.

I'm also reacting because, far from needing a public pillorying, our team seems to need a massive uplift right now. It doesn't seem to be coming from the manager so I'm damned sure having the fans lambast them won't help.

However professional we expect the players to be there has been so much upheaval in the camp there's bound to be a backlash. Having so many players playing so badly doesn't happen by accident.

And whatever we might wish - and it's been embarrassing reading the endless of people we should sign and obviously more to follow- we have the squad we've got right now and it is vitally important that somehow, someone gets them performing at their best.

Sheehan and Mattock quite clearly weren't at their best yesterday any more than Kisnorbo, Mcauley, Chambers, Fryatt, Cort, Hume or Stearman.

What I'd most like to know is why and I'd like to think that someone was going to be good enough at their job to change that because, really, that's what managers are for. Getting the most out of people.

I'm as concerned about Sheehan "closing down" - as much as everyone else.

Sheehan is clearly a more dangerous attacker than Mattock.

His two goals and one assist already this season show the sort of contribution he can make.

His heading and positional discipline seem to have improved and he is obviously dangerous from set pieces.

But he has a languid style and the fact that he doesn't get tight enough seems to make him too easily turned or beaten, particularly on his inside.

He really needs to work on those aspects of his game and on becoming much more two-footed.

Otherwise his considerable creative ability will be wasted.

I'm as concerned about Sheehan "closing down" - as much as everyone else.

Sheehan is clearly a more dangerous attacker than Mattock.

His two goals and one assist already this season show the sort of contribution he can make.

His heading and positional discipline seem to have improved and he is obviously dangerous from set pieces.

But he has a languid style and the fact that he doesn't get tight enough seems to make him too easily turned or beaten, particularly on his inside.

He really needs to work on those aspects of his game and on becoming much more two-footed.

Otherwise his considerable creative ability will be wasted.

Being decent from set pieces isnt the way to judge a players contribution. This isn't Gridiron/American Football where teams have use for "special teams" which kickers, offense units and the rest. Sheehan has a cultured left foot and has some ability but we are talking about being a side that was gunning for promotion a few weeks ago and from what I have seen in his general performances, he has been well short.

I would want to loan him out probably and see what he can do to improve at the lower levels. I havent got the patience to see him improve whilst playing in the first team because if we carry players like this, we will end up being in the right shite.

Time to wheel in the Ferrieras and Kaebis to earn there keep and the Sheehans of the club should practice, practice some more and maybe play reserve team football or go out on loan.

Being decent from set pieces isnt the way to judge a players contribution. This isn't Gridiron/American Football where teams have use for "special teams" which kickers, offense units and the rest. Sheehan has a cultured left foot and has some ability but we are talking about being a side that was gunning for promotion a few weeks ago and from what I have seen in his general performances, he has been well short.

I would want to loan him out probably and see what he can do to improve at the lower levels. I havent got the patience to see him improve whilst playing in the first team because if we carry players like this, we will end up being in the right shite.

Time to wheel in the Ferrieras and Kaebis to earn there keep and the Sheehans of the club should practice, practice some more and maybe play reserve team football or go out on loan.

We've never been more than technically "gunning for promotion", we were ninth on the back on one win and a couple of draws and Sheehan made his contribution to those and to the fact that we're still in the Cup.

As for Ferreira and Kaebi I doubt you've seen either. But Kaebi is a right midfield player and Ferreira the same really. Kaebi looks capable to me - but not as a left -back and Ferreira, while he has some ability, certainly doesn't close anyone down on the evidence I've seen.

At this time we simply don't have a better left-back than Sheehan. But unless he learns to get tight he will never flourish in the attritional sort of side Scowey probably rightly believes Megson will put together and which I believe we need for the time when we've lost the ball..

Put simply he's not really a Leicester sort of player. Nor is Porter. Nor any of the other Academy players like King, Odhiambo, McKay, Beswick. They are all pass-and-move footballers and there has been no signs for years - Martin Allen apart - that we are ever going to go down that road. Only Billy Kee might be different of our attackers. Mattock maybe though I don't see him as getting much tighter than Sheehan.

What I don't know is whether people like Sheehan and Mattock cannot get tight or whether they are taught to stay off slightly because giving away free kicks in dangerous places is a cardinal sin nowadays and tight marking almost inevitably leads to bookings and sendings off.

You talk about me getting into 2007. And I look at top teams like Manchester United and Arsenal. They are ALL ABOUT pass and move. If you can conjure up aggressive pass and move left-siders suggest some by all means but Ferreira's not one of them. Nor Kaebi for that matter. Kaebi is refreshing as an attacker - really busy and threatening. As a defender he's just as vulnerable as Sheehan - both positionally and in the air.

Archived