Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

Pace?

Several people have suggested that everything would have been alright against brighton (and several other games) if we had introduced some pace in the shape of gradel and/or chambers.

but would pace really have made any difference when the brighton defence were static in the back of their own half.

in these situations it is not pace that unlocks defence but cleverness and subtlty... perhaps that's why NP introduced the more knowing and experienced dickov and hayles....

just a thought, anyone else?

Several people have suggested that everything would have been alright against brighton (and several other games) if we had introduced some pace in the shape of gradel and/or chambers.

but would pace really have made any difference when the brighton defence were static in the back of their own half.

in these situations it is not pace that unlocks defence but cleverness and subtlty... perhaps that's why NP introduced the more knowing and experienced dickov and hayles....

but the added pace of a Chambers would of given them a completely different problem to worry about and given us another way to create chances, they were able to defend so high as we had no pace to get in behind them and Gradel would at least ran at the full back and tried to create something which Dyer wasn't doing and hasn't done for weeks

The point about Gradel is that no matter how many times he fails he'll keep asking questions of his full-back and keep getting that ball into the box. Basically he'll keep asking til he gets a break.

Look at Palace. All and sundry tried but he was the one who finally scored and his assists return for the season is up there with anyone considering the number of minutes he's played.

We still have very few players in the whole club who cause any sort of stir of anticipiation when they get the ball. Davies has gone, Dyer seems to have been affected by the Credit Crunch and gone onto short time, Porter has been inexplicably forgotten, Kingy is much more of a ghostly assassin than a noticed one and that leaves Gradel.

He's still perhaps the only one who has that rare ability to lift people's hopes. Yes, he's so often frustrated people too but you always think that something might happen and, to me, he asks the questions far more times than Dyer's doing these days.

Top of the table or not I still have my reservations about Pearson. I still think our team has significant weaknesses, I still don't feel we're playing the best football we can with the available players and I firmly believe that the ineptitude of so many opponents has served to flatter us and to flatter what increasingly looks like a seriously limited approach to the game.

Of course I realise that the huge majority will scream and shout "what more can the bloke do?" And I've been as sincerely praising of his achievements this season as any. But our limitations didn't just materialise last night. They've been apparent on many occasions and have only been emphasised with the absence of Howard and Tunchev.

We've shown too much faith in the Chosen few, we seem to have developed no-one, we've become increasingly reliant on loanees and we've become far too much of a one-trick team. We badly need new impetus, quality new signings and a bit more faith in some of our own. Particularly those with a bit of trickery, the ability to pass the ball quickly and a bit of pace.

The point about Gradel is that no matter how many times he fails he'll keep asking questions of his full-back and keep getting that ball into the box. Basically he'll keep asking til he gets a break.

Look at Palace. All and sundry tried but he was the one who finally scored and his assists return for the season is up there with anyone considering the number of minutes he's played.

We still have very few players in the whole club who cause any sort of stir of anticipiation when they get the ball. Davies has gone, Dyer seems to have been affected by the Credit Crunch and gone onto short time, Porter has been inexplicably forgotten, Kingy is much more of a ghostly assassin than a noticed one and that leaves Gradel.

He's still perhaps the only one who has that rare ability to lift people's hopes. Yes, he's so often frustrated people too but you always think that something might happen and, to me, he asks the questions far more times than Dyer's doing these days.

Top of the table or not I still have my reservations about Pearson. I still think our team has significant weaknesses, I still don't feel we're playing the best football we can with the available players and I firmly believe that the ineptitude of so many opponents has served to flatter us and to flatter what increasingly looks like a seriously limited approach to the game.

Of course I realise that the huge majority will scream and shout "what more can the bloke do?" And I've been as sincerely praising of his achievements this season as any. But our limitations didn't just materialise last night. They've been apparent on many occasions and have only been emphasised with the absence of Howard and Tunchev.

We've shown too much faith in the Chosen few, we seem to have developed no-one, we've become increasingly reliant on loanees and we've become far too much of a one-trick team. We badly need new impetus, quality new signings and a bit more faith in some of our own. Particularly those with a bit of trickery, the ability to pass the ball quickly and a bit of pace.

I think its time for Dyer to be given a rest. He puts the effort in but seems to run out of ideas when he trys to beat his man recently. I like Dyer but needs to start producing the goods or Gradel will take his place if he isnt careful.

Are you Andy from Long Eaton?

Gradel would have had a lesser impact last night, though. Neither Dickov nor Fryatt are especially dangerous in the air and a lot of his crosses would have been somewhat wasted.

That's not to say he wouldn't have made a difference, he could have been no worse than Dyer last night, but I'm not sure it would have won the game still.

Not that all crosses need a head on them, mind, some of our more dangerous moments were lower crosses from Oakley.

Are you Andy from Long Eaton?

No. He's just Tony from the block.

Archived