Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Northampton Player Ratings

Martin - 6 - OK, must sort out his kicking which was awful today.

Gilbert - 7- Poor first half for me but much better in second.

Mattock - 5 - Not really at the races today, shame as he did look up for it but was beaten too many times.

Morrison - 7.5- Very powerful and showed good composure a couple of times when playing the ball out - avoided hoofing if he could.

Hobbs - 7.5 As above, excellent in the air and him and Morrison covered each other well.

Oakley - 7- Looked committed but didn't do an awful lot first half. Was much better second and when we were leading some of his interplay on the right with Cleverley King and Gilbert was excellent.

Dyer - 6 - Still looks tired, but was visibly lifted after he scored, hopfully will pick him up.

Cleverley - 7 - A bit overconfident a couple of times in our half but did well overall. A couple of burts forward similar to Davies. Nice that him and Oakley can interchange.

King - 7- Steady, some good passes and covered well.

Fryatt - 7 - Average first half but he is excellent at holding the ball and laying it off and so keeping moves going. Better second half but perhaps should have scored - had a couple of one on ones. Not knocking though - 20+ goals speaks for itself.

Howard 7.5 - So strong and at last getting recognition. Took a good penalty and crossed well for Dyer. Always a handful.

Didn't see the penalty even though it was right in front of me but thought the ref did ok otherwise.

Disappointed with the bench but what do I know - we won.

Martin 7

Gilbert 6 (Very poor first half, got it together in the second)

Hobbs 6 (Drifted out of position so often he was like a boat on a stormy park pond)

Morrison 7 (carried Hobbs and must be hoarse from screaming at him now)

Mattock 5 - Comedy Bambi on Ice

Oakley 6.5 (6 first half, 7 the second)

King 7 (battled for the duration - I love King)

Cleverley 6 (5 first half, 7 the second)

Dyer 6 (a goal, a lovely run but pretty poor aside from that)

Howard 8 (Godlike)

Fryatt 7 (Thought he held the ball up and brought people into play brilliantly in the second half. He got stuck in and worked for the team)

Gilbert - 7- Poor first half for me but much better in second.

Mattock - 5 - Not really at the races today, shame as he did look up for it but was beaten too many times.

Morrison - 7.5- Very powerful and showed good composure a couple of times when playing the ball out - avoided hoofing if he could.

Hobbs - 7.5 As above, excellent in the air and him and Morrison covered each other well.

Oakley - 7- Looked committed but didn't do an awful lot first half. Was much better second and when we were leading some of his interplay on the right with Cleverley King and Gilbert was excellent.

Dyer - 6 - Still looks tired, but was visibly lifted after he scored, hopfully will pick him up.

Cleverley - 7 - A bit overconfident a couple of times in our half but did well overall. A couple of burts forward similar to Davies. Nice that him and Oakley can interchange.

King - 7- Steady, some good passes and covered well.

Fryatt - 7 - Average first half but he is excellent at holding the ball and laying it off and so keeping moves going. Better second half but perhaps should have scored - had a couple of one on ones. Not knocking though - 20+ goals speaks for itself.

Howard 7.5 - So strong and at last getting recognition. Took a good penalty and crossed well for Dyer. Always a handful.

Didn't see the penalty even though it was right in front of me but thought the ref did ok otherwise.

Disappointed with the bench but what do I know - we won.

Spot on, apart from Martin deserves a 7

His kicking is hardly his forte - but you need to bear in mind the way the pitch gave underfoot today, it was a poor Viccy Park surface - sodden and slippy. I think what he did well more than made up for a few poorly placed boot outs.

Martin 7

Hobbs 6 (Drifted out of position so often he was like a boat on a stormy park pond)

Howard 8 (Godlike)

Fryatt 7 (Thought he held the ball up and brought people into play brilliantly in the second half. He got stuck in and worked for the team)

:D

Looked like he'd got absolutely ****ed up by a couple of challenges today. I pretty much agree with your ratings Daggers except Hobbs who I thought had a quality game again, so I'll give him an 8

Looked like he'd got absolutely ****ed up by a couple of challenges today. I pretty much agree with your ratings Daggers except Hobbs who I thought had a quality game again, so I'll give him an 8

I couldn't stop laughing when the ball bounced up and span back into his face.

Brilliant lol

Martin 7 - Would be more because by and large he commanded his defence well but his kicking was awful AGAIN.

Gilbert 7 - Solid in defence and useful going forward. I wish he'd believe in himself a little more when attacking though.

Morrison 6 - HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

Hobbs 8 - Won a lot of headers today, and although prone to the occassional lob forward was more intelligent on the ball than Morrison.

Mattock 4 - Crap.

Oakley 5 - Slipping back into last season's mediocrity.

King 5 - Never got hold of the game and was generally pretty poor.

Cleverly 7.5 - Very tricky on the ball and a great cross for Dyer's goal.

Dyer 6 - Slightly better today than he has been recently and took his goal well, but he seems to have forgotten how to take people on.

Howard 7.5 - Great first half and won a lot of headers but disappeared in the second half.

Fryatt 6.5 - Fantastic work rate but finishing was poor today.

Idiot near me who kept moaning about the 'open goals' Fryatt was missing (one of which was saved by the keeper :rolleyes: ) 2

Anyone have any idea what was going on with the penalty? I thought a free kick was given!

Martin 7

Howard 8 (Godlike)

Yeah i'd agree with that, maybe Cleverly deserves an 8 as he played really well second half, but he didnt do alot of first half. And Mattock when he wasn't falling over he played well

Yeah i'd agree with that, maybe Cleverly deserves an 8 as he played really well second half, but he didnt do alot of first half. And Mattock when he wasn't falling over he played well

If you consider playing every pass or cross to a Northampton player as playing well then yeah he was outstanding.

If you consider playing every pass or cross to a Northampton player as playing well then yeah he was outstanding.

Im not sure if your on about Mattock or Cleverly. Mattock closed down well i thought and he deserved a 6, and Cleverly i thought tried to make things happen second half

Martin 7 - The shit pitch didn't help his kicking, but he made some crucial saves and was really unlucky with their goal.

Gilbert 6 - Still not at his best, but he always supported the attack and never gave their winger a moments peace.

Mattock 5 - Poor. Earned himself a silly booking, poor crosses when he had a lot of time on the ball.

Hobbs 8 - Immense. Won everything in the air.

Morrison 7 - Was very good today.

Oakley 7 - He was everywhere, worked his socks off for the team.

Dyer 6 - A goal, but little else.

Cleverley 6 - Great assist, great energy, but he's a far cry from Davies.

King 7 - Always wanted the ball, always there to cover and was generally solid in everything he did.

Fryatt 7 - Dogshite? lol. If Steve was in Fryatt's boots today it would've been a different story. Won a penalty, held the ball up and brought others into play, always an outlet for us too.

Howard 8 - Just quality. His touch is fantastic, a big presence and like Fryatt brings others into the game, good penalty too.

Yeah I'll admit my initial rating was harsh for him. I just thought he was poor in front of goal today, a quality obviously necessary in a striker. Didn't seem interested early on to me, but I'll admit he did hold the ball up well.

I concur.

Rather than head the ball he headed Fyatt so I'm led to believe - I missed it too.

Apparently on the radio it said there was an elbow. It was right in front of me too (from a different angle) and I'll be damned if I know why it was given.

Martin 6.75 (Vital contribution at the end and okay generally apart from some of his kicking. Why oh why does he put the ball down to kick it? Twice he slipped over in doing so. It's such an unnecessary risk and one of these days he'll top the thing and hit the challenging forward.)

Gilbert 6.25 (No better than ordinary although he did get forward in support more. His first touch seems awful at times)

Hobbs 8.5 (Immense. His domination in the air was emphatic and he did try to distribute the ball constructively without always being successful. In the end Northamtpon's forwards barely wanted to know).

Morrison 7 (Decent game. Northampton's nippy forwards posed some problems with their moving early on but in the end City's central defenders looked well in charge, reading the situations with ease).

Mattock 5 (In the wars and nothing special anyway. Silly booking)

Oakley 6.5 (Okay contribution without being outstanding)

King 7 (Being seated around the halfway line I had a close view of his contribution. His influence increased considerably as the game wen on to the point where he and Cleverley were running the show. Typically reliable and occasionally inventive he contributed to the beginnings of another excellent partnership with the Manchester United loanee)

Cleverley 7.5 (Increasingly positive and influential as the game went on. Quickish, good close control and far more confident than he was during his first appearance in mikdfield. Assisted the goal and might have scored if he'd dtaken a pop on one occasion).

Dyer 6.5 (Well taken goal but otherwise had an in and out ssort of match and never really attacked his opposite number on what was, admittedly, perhaps the sort of pitch he was better off trying to keep the ball moving).

Howard 8 (Another major contribution. Northampton never managed to subdue him. Smacked his penalty home with assurance, held the ball up constantly and threatened to unlock Northampton on various occasions in the second half when the visitors were forced to push up and leave themselves exposed at the back. City looked so much better with him there than withouthim against Brighton).

Fryatt 6.5 (Three excellent chances squandered but he did well to work the positions and was clearly a discomfort to the Northampton rearguard despite his lack of goals).

Sub: Powell (na)

Pearson 8 (Squeezed a good performance out of us after an indifferent first half).

Martin 7 - Would be more because by and large he commanded his defence well but his kicking was awful AGAIN.

Gilbert 7 - Solid in defence and useful going forward. I wish he'd believe in himself a little more when attacking though.

Morrison 6 - HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

Hobbs 8 - Won a lot of headers today, and although prone to the occassional lob forward was more intelligent on the ball than Morrison.

Mattock 4 - Crap.

Oakley 5 - Slipping back into last season's mediocrity.

King 5 - Never got hold of the game and was generally pretty poor.

Cleverly 7.5 - Very tricky on the ball and a great cross for Dyer's goal.

Dyer 6 - Slightly better today than he has been recently and took his goal well, but he seems to have forgotten how to take people on.

Howard 7.5 - Great first half and won a lot of headers but disappeared in the second half.

Fryatt 6.5 - Fantastic work rate but finishing was poor today.

Idiot near me who kept moaning about the 'open goals' Fryatt was missing (one of which was saved by the keeper :rolleyes: ) 2

Anyone have any idea what was going on with the penalty? I thought a free kick was given!

Just can't believe you marked King that low. He and Cleverley eventually wrested total control of midfield on what was such a difficult pitch. He contributed in so many ways both in defence and attack, a clearance here, a change of direction there, feeds to left and right and the offer of a permanent out ball the more tha game progressed.

Archived