Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DeclanMC

BBC 6 Music and BBC Asian Network

Not sure if anyone on here listens to either of these stations, but if they do they will know just how important they are to radio in the UK and how vital they are to up and coming artists who don't fit the bill of Radio 1 (not having a go here, like some people are on this issue). Anyway, the BBC trust is proposing to close these two radio stations in the name of reducing competition, well can anyone name me a commercial competitor to 6 Music or the Asian Network. Would be nice to see any views or comment on this, and if you agree, go ahead and sign the petition!

Sign the Petition

The evening shows are great on radio 6. I listen to it whilst preparing/eating my food in the evenings.

Though I do think that there day time and weekend shows are a little poor to be honest.

I listen to Chris Moyles on the way to work ( at about 6:30) and can't recall him actually playing a song for ages. And listen to Scott Miles on the way home and all he plays is K$isha "woke up in the morning feeling like P Diddy" song.

A friend of mine listens to Absolute on DAB and he enjoys it because they play a lot of album tracks.

Not sure about the asian networks! But there will be people on hear that know more about them.

Thanks for the link I will be signing it defo.

Aslong as they dont get rid of Moyles I dont care.

Radio entertainment at its finest is our Chris.

They won't get rid of moyles, since I have been having to drive in the morning I have warmed to him bigtime, as I have no digital radio in my car. When the news first broke some people were saying that he earnt £6.3 million a year and so if he was sacked 6 music could be paid for. Then the actual truth that he earns £.63 million came out :P

Aslong as they dont get rid of Moyles I dont care.

Radio entertainment at its finest is our Chris.

We all know your MO is to come into threads and post exactly the opposite to the general vibe, but with the BBC refocussing the target audiences of 1 and 2 will you still not care when you get out of the teenage bracket and are left with a choice between 2 and commercial stations? Or if in a few years you find your music taste verging out of the mainstream playlist that's on loop and fancy something a bit less ordinary or new independent artists will you still not care?

I suspect this will fall completely on deaf ears but it's short sighted not to see the niche that 6 music fills. I also think other networks should have done more in the time that 6 has been on the air to promote it across other networks.

We all know your MO is to come into threads and post exactly the opposite to the general vibe, but with the BBC refocussing the target audiences of 1 and 2 will you still not care when you get out of the teenage bracket and are left with a choice between 2 and commercial stations? Or if in a few years you find your music taste verging out of the mainstream playlist that's on loop and fancy something a bit less ordinary or new independent artists will you still not care?

I suspect this will fall completely on deaf ears but it's short sighted not to see the niche that 6 music fills. I also think other networks should have done more in the time that 6 has been on the air to promote it across other networks.

I dont really listen to the Radio for music, most of what I listen to isnt played anyway.

I just find Moyles entertaining to listen to, he isnt very serious or what not but he makes me laugh, easy listening.

Ive never really listened to Radio 6, actually I didnt really know it existed, so I cant comment on it too much.

I enjoy BBC 6 Music. Especially when Adam and Joe were on a Saturday morning.

Same, but because I don't have DAB and I'm out working most Saturday mornings I never get to listen live, only on I-player.

Why not axe the "extra" channels? Are they saying there's just too much stuff to fit into Radios One and Five that they need "extra" channels? Radio One's motto is supposed to be "in new music we trust", but they get more and more commercial every year. Like Dec said, no idea where I'm going to listen to this kind of music now. Funnily enough, before Radio 6's existance, Radio 1 was the place, usually of an evening (before they had that annoying New Zealander). MAybe they're gonna have more of this kind of music here now? :dunno:

Same, but because I don't have DAB and I'm out working most Saturday mornings I never get to listen live, only on I-player.

Why not axe the "extra" channels? Are they saying there's just too much stuff to fit into Radios One and Five that they need "extra" channels? Radio One's motto is supposed to be "in new music we trust", but they get more and more commercial every year. Like Dec said, no idea where I'm going to listen to this kind of music now. Funnily enough, before Radio 6's existance, Radio 1 was the place, usually of an evening (before they had that annoying New Zealander). MAybe they're gonna have more of this kind of music here now? :dunno:

Can't speak with any authority on 1 xtra but the review states that 5 sports extra is seen as a good model for additional services from it's sister station. If they're paying x amount for sports coverage rights why not add extra events, where there's public interest for them, for a relatively low operational cost rather than wasting the money they've paid for packages they've bought?

I got a DAB especially to listen to 6 Music with the added bonus of 5Live being clear as a bell but with the downside of having to find an FAM radio when City and Tigers play at the same time. I have ordered my next car with a DAB radio built in so I can listen to 6 Music. I am pissed off.

I've been trying my best to sign any petition, and write anywhere I can to try and show support for these stations, as this goes against everything the BBC is supposed to stand for. I e-mailed Peter Soulsby this morning to ask him to sign Tom Watson's Early Day Motion tabled yesterday ( http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails....amp;SESSION=903 ), but unfortunately, he's currently ineligible to sign EDMs. I strongly suggest others try and get their MP behind this via http://www.writetothem.com (particularly if your MP is Labour or Liberal Democrat, I have less faith in Tory MPs, but it's always worth a try) and to contact the the BBC Trust at [email protected], which I intend to do later today.

I got a DAB especially to listen to 6 Music with the added bonus of 5Live being clear as a bell but with the downside of having to find an FAM radio when City and Tigers play at the same time. I have ordered my next car with a DAB radio built in so I can listen to 6 Music. I am pissed off.

You and many others. 6 Music will have been instrumental in a lot of people buying DAB radios, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it's the main reason, as most of what's on there is either shite or available on AM/FM anyway.

I've been trying my best to sign any petition, and write anywhere I can to try and show support for these stations, as this goes against everything the BBC is supposed to stand for. I e-mailed Peter Soulsby this morning to ask him to sign Tom Watson's Early Day Motion tabled yesterday ( http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails....amp;SESSION=903 ), but unfortunately, he's currently ineligible to sign EDMs. I strongly suggest others try and get their MP behind this via http://www.writetothem.com (particularly if your MP is Labour or Liberal Democrat, I have less faith in Tory MPs, but it's always worth a try) and to contact the the BBC Trust at [email protected], which I intend to do later today.

Absolutely. Facebook groups and the like are all very well, but I don't think there's any substitute to for putting your feelings into words and getting them in front of somebody that might be able to wield some influence. A coherent and heartfelt argument is worth a thousand Facebook group members, to my mind.

I'd be heartbroken if this goes through. Radio 2 still plays a lot of middle of the road shite, and I'm officially too old for Radio 1 now (which is probably why I can't listen to it for more than about two minutes before my intelligence is insulted) so 6 Music is perfect. Apart from George sodding Lamb, of course

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/0...nge-mind-6music

I'd take this as a green light for some serious rabble rousing. I might threaten to set myself on fire outside Maida Vale, but then at the last minute actually set Chris Moyles on fire. Sorry, Samilktray.

Good to see yet another story on this subject accompanied by a picture of Lauren Laverne. Truly, she is the indie Queen of hearts to the tired stalwarts of the Britpop generation. Anyone else remember Kenickie? Didn't think so

Why not axe the "extra" channels? Are they saying there's just too much stuff to fit into Radios One and Five that they need "extra" channels?

It's not a case of too much music it's a case of catering for the artists who aren't deemed A/B/C list by Radio 1.

Radio 1 is gash and always has been during the day but there are decent shows at night.

Saying that 1xtra also disappoints me as they never seem to have the balls to play un tried and un tested music. Instead of mainstream pop they just play mainstream rnb/niche/dnb. When it was first launched I thought they would play underground music, instead all they've seemed to do is stick to the same old club rnb music to fulfill their stupid slogan '1xtra home of new black music'. Again 1xtra does come good at night but is gash during the day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/0...nge-mind-6music

I'd take this as a green light for some serious rabble rousing. I might threaten to set myself on fire outside Maida Vale, but then at the last minute actually set Chris Moyles on fire. Sorry, Samilktray.

Good to see yet another story on this subject accompanied by a picture of Lauren Laverne. Truly, she is the indie Queen of hearts to the tired stalwarts of the Britpop generation. Anyone else remember Kenickie? Didn't think so

:whistle:

they were on the 'scene' in my camden days, speaking of which i managed to avoid buying menswear's album for the price of a mars bar today....

It's not a case of too much music it's a case of catering for the artists who aren't deemed A/B/C list by Radio 1.

Radio 1 is gash and always has been during the day but there are decent shows at night.

Saying that 1xtra also disappoints me as they never seem to have the balls to play un tried and un tested music. Instead of mainstream pop they just play mainstream rnb/niche/dnb. When it was first launched I thought they would play underground music, instead all they've seemed to do is stick to the same old club rnb music to fulfill their stupid slogan '1xtra home of new black music'. Again 1xtra does come good at night but is gash during the day.

yep -

simon_bates1_ab.jpg

simon bates :sick:

Andy%20Peebles.jpg

andy peebles :blush:

Yup, 1 extra is little more than a streamlined Radio 1, concentrating solely on rnb and it's seemingly limitless sub-genres.

And the reason you get decent music in the evenings? Cos the bosses know by then most people are watching TV.

I also don't get "black music"... when are we gonna get some white music? :@

:whistle:

they were on the 'scene' in my camden days, speaking of which i managed to avoid buying menswear's album for the price of a mars bar today....

Interestingly one of the fellas in the background of Radio 6's brekkie show was in Menswear.

I will miss it! Radio 6 perfectly bridged a gap and created for an audience. On the evening as well, there's lots of genres which are not covered elsewhere in the BBC showcased.

I'm a fan of Steve Lamacq. I thought he was on Radio 1 for some reason. Surely he will still have job with the beeb? If not, I'm sure he wont find it to hard to find a new station.

Archived