Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

What music celebs have you met?

Back in the nineties, I had an obsession with going to meet the band or artist I was going to see that evening, often with a view to getting a CD signed by them.

I was lucky enough not to have had any frictional encounters in that time, and then throughout the noughties, felt even more blessed that I was able to actually interview several of my all time heroes for my website. So I have a lot to choose from, and apart from mildly upsetting Robert Miles when he misinterpreted one of my questions (he was fine after I elaborated), everybody's been fantastic, but if I had to pick the best of the bunch, they'd be:

1) Johnny Marr - I did a 25 minute interview with him and he was charming, funny and open - more so than I'd ever imagined. The Smiths were my favourite band when I was growing up so I was crapping myself beforehand but he put me completely at ease from the off.

2) Damon Albarn - Me and a couple of mates hid behind a curtain at Leicester Uni when staff were kicking everybody out so blur could soundcheck. Damon saw us and was impressed with our cheek. He stood and chatted with us for quite some time, all about what we could expect in the future from the band. I don't think he could have imagined the fame they were about to achieve. This was on the "Modern Life Is Rubbish" tour before "Parklife" exploded.

3) Ian McCulloch - Exactly the same thing as Johnny Marr. McCulloch even tried to do the "Ken Dodd died then" joke on me, but I was having none of it!

4) Tori Amos - One of the first music celebs I ever met, so again I was a bit nervous, but as soon as she got out of her van (I guess she's probably upgraded to a tour bus by now!), she bounded over to me and my mate and said "Hi guys, do you want your CDs signing?" and was remarkably pleasant.

5) Miles Hunt - I was a massive fan of The Wonder Stuff, so chatting to Miles, I had plenty of stories about various gigs of theirs I'd been to, and because he remembered many of these moments, he could tell I was a genuine fan, so we got on like a house on fire. I'm pretty sure I even saw his eyes well up at one point with some of the things I mentioned, which given his persona, may sound a little surprising.

On a non-musical side, and seeing as this is a football forum, I met Malcolm McDonald once and the bugger charged me 2p for his autograph at a fete in Wellingborough when I was about 6 years old!

So, who have you met and what were they like?

Met The Clash after they did a gig at DMH back in the 80's,managed to get my concert ticket signed by the band,which i still own to this day

And the first poster on here makes me seethe with jealousy!

Seriously though, I'd have LOVED to see The Clash, I was just that little bit too young when they were around. Everyone I've ever known who saw or met them said Strummer was a top, top bloke.

Mark Morrison. lol

Skin from Skunk Anansie back in the 90's when they played DH.

Also met Halestorm last Christmas at a show in Nottingham.

Think that's it.

What was Mark Morrison like? I remember I was in a nightclub in the 90s (either Zoots or Crystals, can't remember which) waiting at the bar, and Morrison tried to elbow me out of the way, but I stood my ground and didn't let him in, after which he caught the barmaid's eye and sheepishly said "He's next" pointing at me. This made me laugh for a while, until I started considering what "He's next" actually might have meant...

What was Mark Morrison like? I remember I was in a nightclub in the 90s (either Zoots or Crystals, can't remember which) waiting at the bar, and Morrison tried to elbow me out of the way, but I stood my ground and didn't let him in, after which he caught the barmaid's eye and sheepishly said "He's next" pointing at me. This made me laugh for a while, until I started considering what "He's next" actually might have meant...

It was in about 1997/98 I think. I was at college at the Abbey Park campus of Leicester College (at the time Charles Keene) and me and some classmates had been given a video camera to go and interview the citizens of Leicester, for reasons I can't remember. He was near the campus and we saw him in his car with 3 other guys and we basically ran up and said "Mark can we have an interview" at which he said no and get the camera out my face. All the guys with him covered him up and then they drove off. lol

Met Metallica (bar Hetfield) in Nottingham once. Also met kasabian in the same place (Serge signed my season ticket!)

Favourite though was meeting Kings of Leon (before the only by the night album). They were all hammered and we had pics and got stuff signed. Pretty funny as the drummer was just wandering around looking like he didn't have a clue where he was!

Met Metallica (bar Hetfield) in Nottingham once. Also met kasabian in the same place (Serge signed my season ticket!)

Favourite though was meeting Kings of Leon (before the only by the night album). They were all hammered and we had pics and got stuff signed. Pretty funny as the drummer was just wandering around looking like he didn't have a clue where he was!

I met them in Doncaster a few years ago. They seemed to be living in fear of their tour manager. Except Nathan, who was far and away the friendliest of the group, possibly even the ONLY friendly one. Not that the others were bad, they just didn't say much.

Archived