Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

Songs that have aged extremely well

I thing Gary Numan has been on radio 2 "tracks of my years" this week .

I didn't know the fans were called Numanoids

Well, we only get called that by other people nowadays, we haven't been Numanoids since the 80s. It seems a bit silly as you get older so we're just Numan fans now

Well, we only get called that by other people nowadays, we haven't been Numanoids since the 80s. It seems a bit silly as you get older so we're just Numan fans now

Zoe Ball was saying today that there is a whole new generation of fans called New Numanoids.

Zoe Ball was saying today that there is a whole new generation of fans called New Numanoids.

Teenagers that probably think it sounds cool like we did in the 80s. Some are kids of fans and some got into Numan by listening to artists that are fans of his. Could do with a few more so he could start playing the big concert halls with massive light shows again. Not a term that I would use though, can't imagine any of us old farts using it

Teenagers that probably think it sounds cool like we did in the 80s. Some are kids of fans and some got into Numan by listening to artists that are fans of his. Could do with a few more so he could start playing the big concert halls with massive light shows again. Not a term that I would use though, can't imagine any of us old farts using it

What do you think of the Sugababes song with the "friends are electric" backing track ?( i'm not sure if that's how you describe it )

Gary Numan said he really loves it.

I love all the Numan covers and sampled stuff. I thought Freak Like Me was superb, I managed to get the original Are Friends Electric? music with the original Freak Like Me vocals as well. Someone had mixed it and put it on Winmx when that was still legal. I got some good remixes from there. Koochy was pretty good, as was Where's Your Head At? I don't think there's been a bad Numan cover or sample. Couple of weird ones though

After listening to it again after a long time, I must admit there is something very special about Are Friends Electric. It’s just one of those very few special tunes that really takes over you when you listen to it.

You might not agree , but Human League “ Don’t You Want Me” has a similar effect on me .

After listening to it again after a long time, I must admit there is something very special about Are Friends Electric. Its just one of those very few special tunes that really takes over you when you listen to it.

You might not agree , but Human League Dont You Want Me has a similar effect on me .

Although Are Friends Electric? Is rightly considered a classic, it's nowhere near the best song on the Replicas album. Me? I Disconnect From You, The Machman, Down in the Park, You Are in my Vision, and with the more recent re-releases you get the extra tracks, so We are so Fragile, Do You Need the Service? & We have a Technical are all better than AFE? IMO. Damon Albarn did a pretty decent cover of We have a Technical

I'll make a point of trying to get to listen to that :thumbup: but I'm afraid I'm a little bit stuck in my ways musically (typical old age thing )

For some reason , music that you pick up on in later life never seems to grip you in the same way as the music of your youth .

Maybe Trav can explain why this happens , because it certainly is nothing to do with the relative qualities of the music .

I'll make a point of trying to get to listen to that :thumbup: but I'm afraid I'm a little bit stuck in my ways musically (typical old age thing )

For some reason , music that you pick up on in later life never seems to grip you in the same way as the music of your youth .

Maybe Trav can explain why this happens , because it certainly is nothing to do with the relative qualities of the music .

Such misplaced faith. :P

I think a lot of our love for music is by association and we do a lot of exciting memorable things in our youth and when we hear the music of that time it reminds us of those times. However, I DO find the music of all eras equally interesting. In fact I'd much rather listen to something new than something that I've heard a hundred times, even if the reason I've heard it a hundred times is because I really like it.

I sometimes wonder if it's anything to do with having kids and the serious responsibility that heaps upon you to be the former generation. I don't have any kids, so this has never happened to me - though it has happened to my brother and he has similar tastes to me and a larger music collection, so...

basically, I haven't the foggiest! :nono::yesyes::nono::yesyes:

I like their broadband and phone package.

Hurr hurr.

Such misplaced faith. :P

I think a lot of our love for music is by association and we do a lot of exciting memorable things in our youth and when we hear the music of that time it reminds us of those times. However, I DO find the music of all eras equally interesting. In fact I'd much rather listen to something new than something that I've heard a hundred times, even if the reason I've heard it a hundred times is because I really like it.

I sometimes wonder if it's anything to do with having kids and the serious responsibility that heaps upon you to be the former generation. I don't have any kids, so this has never happened to me - though it has happened to my brother and he has similar tastes to me and a larger music collection, so...

basically, I haven't the foggiest! :nono::yesyes::nono::yesyes:

Hurr hurr.

No , that can't be the reason Trav

I didn't get laid until i was 54 but I still preferred the music from 30 years earlier.

That's why I watch the festival coverage, always looking for the one or two bands that just grab you. You have to sit through a lot that you really don't like (especially last years T in the Park) but it's worth it when you find those bands. I got into Calvin Harris, Faithless, Hot Chip (all much better live than in the studio), LCD Soundsystem (love them), Queens of the Stone Age, The Pretty Reckless (not bought any of their stuff yet but I will), same goes for White Lies, Hurts (2 piece band but live they use a full band also a string quartet and an opera singer as a backing singer. Really good considering I don't really like pop). I'm hoping Bestival will be on Sky, I don't have it but i'll get my mam to record it as Numan & Hot Chip will be there

IT depends what you mean by aged really well:

For example this song is still mind blowing, but it sounds like it was written decades ago, which it was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmueYJ0VhA

Whereas something like this sounds better today than anything current of this type, including all of Mettallica's recent out put, but that might be because I used air guitar myself into sweaty frenzy over this song years ago:

With Genre's like Rock and Metal you don't need to keep up with current trends and whilst there are always innovations but unlike pop it doesn't have to conform to what is played on the radio.

Even in Indie music, bands like The Pixes and Smashing Pumpkins early stuff still sounds as good today as it did back then, but it is still very much of its time, I heard this a few weeks ago and thought it was a late 80s indie band:

It's not they are a modern band...

IT depends what you mean by aged really well:

For example this song is still mind blowing, but it sounds like it was written decades ago, which it was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmueYJ0VhA

Whereas something like this sounds better today than anything current of this type, including all of Mettallica's recent out put, but that might be because I used air guitar myself into sweaty frenzy over this song years ago:

With Genre's like Rock and Metal you don't need to keep up with current trends and whilst there are always innovations but unlike pop it doesn't have to conform to what is played on the radio.

Even in Indie music, bands like The Pixes and Smashing Pumpkins early stuff still sounds as good today as it did back then, but it is still very much of its time, I heard this a few weeks ago and thought it was a late 80s indie band:

It's not they are a modern band...

Very good points, I have to agree. Liked the Yuck song and I can see what you're saying about it sounding like an 80s indie band.

Archived