Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

Songs that have aged extremely well

I don't think music has moved on much since the mid-90s. Bad music is still bad and good music is still good. I was listening To Pretty Hate Machine the other night and I have to say it always astounds me that it was released in 1989.

Guest BlueBrett

Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates. Not sure if it has aged really well or if it was just years ahead of its time. Hugely significant song in the history of metal either way.

• 2 months later...

Anything by Gary Numan 79-80. They were sounding a bit dated in the 90s but for some reason, they made an ageing comeback. They were a class above at the time and definitely sound like it if you listen to anything else of the time. The Replicas, Pleasure Principle & Telekon albums are getting good recent reviews as classic albums. Radio 6 did the Replicas album a couple of weeks ago. I think they're supposed to be doing The Pleasure Principle as well. The sounds on The Pleasure Principle are amazing given the rubbish keyboards of the time, especially Random, don't know why it wasn't put on the original album. Just pure class

Anything by Gary Numan 79-80. They were sounding a bit dated in the 90s but for some reason, they made an ageing comeback. They were a class above at the time and definitely sound like it if you listen to anything else of the time. The Replicas, Pleasure Principle & Telekon albums are getting good recent reviews as classic albums. Radio 6 did the Replicas album a couple of weeks ago. I think they're supposed to be doing The Pleasure Principle as well. The sounds on The Pleasure Principle are amazing given the rubbish keyboards of the time, especially Random, don't know why it wasn't put on the original album. Just pure class

I'm a fan of Gary Numan, and although his late 70s music certainly was groundbreaking at the time, I don't think it has aged particularly well. I recently saw a documentary about British bands breaking America over the years, and the filmmakers told Gary Numan that apparently, Numan's music was very popular among young American black kids at the dawn of hip-hop. They'd heard of scenes in New York ghettos where loads of kids were all gathered around a boombox blasting out Numan's tunes when breakdancing was born. Numan said he'd heard the stories, and wished he could have been there to see it.

I still find it hard to believe this is from 1966...

http://youtu.be/8PSoh0Af-qY

Amazingly, this comes from the year 1970!

Rap from 1968!

I'm a fan of Gary Numan, and although his late 70s music certainly was groundbreaking at the time, I don't think it has aged particularly well. I recently saw a documentary about British bands breaking America over the years, and the filmmakers told Gary Numan that apparently, Numan's music was very popular among young American black kids at the dawn of hip-hop. They'd heard of scenes in New York ghettos where loads of kids were all gathered around a boombox blasting out Numan's tunes when breakdancing was born. Numan said he'd heard the stories, and wished he could have been there to see it.

Agreed, never a fan but it hasn't aged well.

I find most bands or artists I listen to that were going before the eighties tend to age really well until you get to their eighties output and then the sequenced drums and vocoders kick in and dates terribly.

Neil Young is a good example, even his sixties stuff still sounds good today, peaks in the seventies and then you get to his eighties stuff like Trans and it sounds pretty dated, then back to the nighties and his grunge stuff still sounds amazing.

Agreed, never a fan but it hasn't aged well.

Well, music is all about opinion and I disagree and finally, so do the music media and a hell of a lot of artists 33 years too bloody late, but better late than never. Although i've liked Numan from the beginning, I'm more a fan of his music from Sacrifice onwards, I tend to like darker, heavier music. But I think The Pleasure Principle is one of the best albums ever done by anyone, certainly one of the most important and has aged very well

I think a good test of whether music has aged well is can you blast it out with all your windows open and not feel even slightly embarrassed by it. I can happily do that Replicas and The Pleasure Principle but usually only if we're having an electronic night at my place with Kraftwerk, Ultravox, LCD Soundsystem, Calvin Harris (he wont age well) etc. I tend to blast out the heavier stuff of Pure, Jagged and Dead Son Rising along with Disturbed, NIN, Queens of the Stone Age and so on. Then there's the other stuff nights with the likes of Bauhaus (not aged well but who cares?) Duran Duran, Coldplay, Dire Straits and newer stuff like Hurts and Hot Chip (definitely wont age well). Luckily, i've got neighbours who don't care and I don't play it too late anyway as we're usually too drunk

I think a good test of whether music has aged well is can you blast it out with all your windows open and not feel even slightly embarrassed by it. I can happily do that Replicas and The Pleasure Principle but usually only if we're having an electronic night at my place with Kraftwerk, Ultravox, LCD Soundsystem, Calvin Harris (he wont age well) etc. I tend to blast out the heavier stuff of Pure, Jagged and Dead Son Rising along with Disturbed, NIN, Queens of the Stone Age and so on. Then there's the other stuff nights with the likes of Bauhaus (not aged well but who cares?) Duran Duran, Coldplay, Dire Straits and newer stuff like Hurts and Hot Chip (definitely wont age well). Luckily, i've got neighbours who don't care and I don't play it too late anyway as we're usually too drunk

no that's a good sign that you don't give a fook what a twat you look :D

no that's a good sign that you don't give a fook what a twat you look :D

No, i don't care if other people think i'm a twat, there's a big difference. If you went through school in the 80s as a Gary Numan fan, you heard it all and don't forget, i'm thinking the same thing right back lol

No, i don't care if other people think i'm a twat, there's a big difference. If you went through school in the 80s as a Gary Numan fan, you heard it all and don't forget, i'm thinking the same thing right back lol

lol fair play to you :thumbup:

i've looked and behaved like a twat all my life anyway so i can't call anyone

I've only just stopped playing my Bay City Rollers tapes at full blast :D

lol fair play to you :thumbup:

i've looked and behaved like a twat all my life anyway so i can't call anyone

I've only just stopped playing my Bay City Rollers tapes at full blast :D

Youve stopped??? but...

I think a lot of older songs still sound fresh today not because of the songs themselves, but because it became fashionable post-2000 (ish) to use (or mimic) vintage production tecnhniques in order to get a more low-fi sound. So it's more a case of a lot of modern music sounding old than the older music sounding new.

He used MiniMoog & PolyMoog's. They aint rubbish!!

He used MiniMoog & PolyMoog's. They aint rubbish!!

Constantly breaking down, going out of tune, you had to play everything and couldn't do that much with them. Fantastic bass and string sounds though. The bass shakes everything and the strings give me goosebumps. Love it

Archived