Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Mls New Season

Seattle and NY lose and Houston win, a good weekend. The only downside Dallas won again and sit top of the league...WTF!!

I always liked Mike Petke as a player and an assistant coach--he has done loads for this franchise and his community, and he's a good guy outside the stadium, too. I really want him to do well... But it does appear that he's learning the whole manager thing on the fly.

RBNY aren't playing terribly, but there just seems to be something missing... I hope Petke can find this sooner rather than later otherwise this team will dig themselves a big hole.

• 2 weeks later...

My Timbers managed a win over Houston at home ..still think the Dynamo will be one of the teams to beat come the play-offs.

That's why I didn't post.

Great win for you, bit of a mixed start for just about everyone, only LA remain unbeaten. Surprised about dallas, and a good start and chivas too.

LA lose to dallas...not one team unbeated and the seasons only just began. :D

One good thing is some great attendances except for chivas, cant see them having a team much longer.

I heard Chivas--who are off to a good start--actually had a half-decent crowd last night. Jorge Vergara can certainly absorb the losses, too... But that said, they are easily the most pointless team in the league.

NY won 2-0 yesterday at DC, who were woeful. While I can't stand DC, I do feel less and less of a connection to NYRB with every passing season and I haven't even bothered to go down to a game so far this year. The pre-post game bar scene is fun on Market St., but it's a pain in the ass for me to take the train down to Grand Central Terminal, walk over to the PATH train, and then take that to Newark (which is a sloooowwww ride from NYC on the weekends) or go across to Port Authority and take the NJ transit train to Newark.

I used to go to games with the ESC but things have changed and I'm not as into it as I was. Every team's fans want to try to go ultra-style nowadays and I get the appeal, but it's just not my thing. I'd like to just stand behind the goal, get really into the game, and sing/chant whatever just "feels" right in the moment.

I don't want to obsess about putting together tifo because I'm not in an arts and crafts club. I don't want to wave flags and banners around all day because I want to be in the crowd at a soccer game, not be in a mini-parade. I don't want to have to sing the same things over and over, at set times, and follow what a guy with his back to the field holding a megaphone directs us to sing.

But before I sound like an old man, different strokes for different folks. It's not my style but if this what people want and enjoy, and work hard to create an atmosphere like this, then by all means... In a way it does look and sound "cool," and gives the league and clubs more visibility (setting it apart from anything else in our pro sports, too). 100 new kids going to games, being big fans and having a blast is worth one of me deciding to just go to the odd game or two.

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Times is reporting that Sheik Mansour & Co. are in final negotiations to buy an expansion franchise in Flushing Meadows, Queens, NY.

http://nyti.ms/168Vfsu

Their source says Mansour will pay a $100m entry fee, will privately finance the new stadium near Citi Field and the USTA tennis center to the tune of $340m, and will likely call the team, "New York City FC."

The team would begin play in 2016, and unless there are changes to FFP before then, I could imagine you'd see a few big-name loanees going to and from Queens and Eastlands.

Interesting thanks Jordan, not sure I like the idea, so many other states want a MLS team but I guess it will take time.

Anyway, Houston managed a draw with ex derby player barnes scoring for us.

Portland win again and look like they'll have their best season yet, no more the whipping boys.

Again its very tight at the top, always seem to be that way in the MLS never one team dominating the league despite the last 2 finals being between the same teams.

DC after a very good season last year sit bottom.

Archived