Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
nuttytimmy

Serving City players to have scored in major international tournaments

Davie Gibson scored for Scotland against Finland in a 1966 WC Qualification game and against Wales in the Home Internationals.

http://thefoxfanzine.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/sean-st-ledger-makes-leicester-city-history/?

Sean St Ledger makes Leicester City history

Leicester centre-half Sean St Ledger made club history with his 19th minute equaliser for Ireland against Croatia on Sunday night…

ssl.jpg?w=500&h=361

In 82 years of World Cup and European Championship tournaments this was the first time that a Leicester player had scored!

Several City players have scored in World Cup and Euro qualifiers, including Neil Lennon and John O’Neill for Northern Ireland; Davie Gibson, Paul Dickov and Matt Elliott for Scotland, and Mal Griffiths and Robbie Savage for Wales.

Sol Bamba found the net for the Ivory Coast in this years Africa Cup of Nations, but it was during the penalty shoot-out.

And Gary Lineker scored 48 goals for England, but only three of them while he was still a Leicester player, not in tournaments.

Not until last night had a Leicester player scored in a finals tournament.

Well done Sean St Ledger! Even though it turned out to be merely a consolation goal for Ireland.

http://thefoxfanzine...-city-history/?

Sean St Ledger makes Leicester City history

Leicester centre-half Sean St Ledger made club history with his 19th minute equaliser for Ireland against Croatia on Sunday night…

ssl.jpg?w=500&h=361

In 82 years of World Cup and European Championship tournaments this was the first time that a Leicester player had scored!

Several City players have scored in World Cup and Euro qualifiers, including Neil Lennon and John O’Neill for Northern Ireland; Davie Gibson, Paul Dickov and Matt Elliott for Scotland, and Mal Griffiths and Robbie Savage for Wales.

Sol Bamba found the net for the Ivory Coast in this years Africa Cup of Nations, but it was during the penalty shoot-out.

And Gary Lineker scored 48 goals for England, but only three of them while he was still a Leicester player, not in tournaments.

Not until last night had a Leicester player scored in a finals tournament.

Well done Sean St Ledger! Even though it turned out to be merely a consolation goal for Ireland.

Does the CONCACAF Gold cup not count? I know its not the most exciting competition but it is still a major continental competition. Hume scored in the 07 semi final.

Does the CONCACAF Gold cup not count? I know its not the most exciting competition but it is still a major continental competition. Hume scored in the 07 semi final.

Good call.

yes good point !

The fact he's the first ever Leicester player to score in the finals of the euro's is a bit of a shocker. Just assumed it had been done before but as soon as you start tinking about it we tend to have historically had decent international players at the start of their career.

It was a nice goal, too. You can watch it here, if you skip to about 8:58 in:

I remember that game well. Canada had a perfectly good equalizing goal at the very end called off by the refs.

You think Lineker played for England when he was at Leicester?

Don't think so?

He made his international debut as a sub.... i still remember it now...

" and its going to be..... Gary Lineker of Leicester City".

Proud moment.

The fact he's the first ever Leicester player to score in the finals of the euro's is a bit of a shocker. Just assumed it had been done before but as soon as you start tinking about it we tend to have historically had decent international players at the start of their career.

I could only think of one player that had ever played for us at any time in their career to have scored at the euros , and that is Gary McAllister ( not counting Mancini who was just a loan player )

I don't think any other players who have played for us have ever scored at the euro finals

Got all nostalgic about Gary Lineker and started watching a few videos and found this. :( God-like status improved/shattered depending on opinion.

[media=]

[/media]

EDIT: But surely this has to be a record? How many other teams can claim their ex player pooed himself during a major tournament?!?

( yes, i know Everton, Barca and tottenham can..)

Archived