Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

The best of the 60s

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 25/08/2019 at 10:45, Dr Marco said:

wish I had a chance to see him live

He played Nottingham a couple years back. Only thing that put me off was not knowing how his voice would be nowadays. 

Absolute legend though and without doubt one of the greatest songwriters of all time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There's a common trope amongst Beatles aficionados reminding us that they went from 'Love Me Do' to 'Sgt. Pepper' in just over four years, which they did - and it's nothing short of astonishing. 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' to 'Revolver' in three years. Consider though, The Beach Boys who in 1965 had made the first flirtation into album as an art form, and then in by 1966 had also in a three year period gone from 'Surfin' USA' to 'Pet Sounds'.

Later that year, once again assembling the finest session musicians in LA, the Smile sessions commenced, which almost finally creatively, emotionally and mentally destroyed Wilson - the final trigger for his collapse being the release of 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' before 'Smile' was finished. Was it better than Sgt.Pepper? Both are flawed and the latter is certainly overrated - largely due to the inclusion of several throwaway numbers and some of the ideas weren't as original as some purport them to be (with Pet Sounds clearly heavily in rotation the year before). McCartney was even present at one of the Smile sessions. Like 'Pet Sounds', the Beach Boys contributed barely nothing beyond the vocal tracks - the band out on tour in Europe and Brian feverishly toiling twenty hours a day in the studio, control booth and editing room, whilst of course the Beatles conceived and largely performed Sgt. Pepper (augmented by contributions from session players, strings and orchestra - not to mention George Martin). Both are overly whimsical in places, Smile - intentionally childlike at times - and the recording techniques and production on Sgt.Pepper was revolutionary for four track. But when you listen to the piece/movement as purely an instrumental, you grasp the magnitude of the project that Brian had written, conceived, arranged and produced and are only left to speculate what could have been had it not been aborted. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/sensorium/201706/the-extraordinary-sensorium-brian-wilson

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 4

While we're on the subject of covers and the sixties - the Beatles dominated and had four of the top five selling singles of the decade.  Breaking their hold at number three was a cover, by a comedian, of a song first released in 1929.  Not my music but my parents loved it and after all, music is for everyone.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...