Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

The best of the 60s

First time visitor ntonthis thread. 

Been listening to Abbey Road this on youtube recently for the first time. Insane stuff. Music and production that'd still easily cut it today. 

Had never previously been aware of the track 'she's so heavy'. What an outtro. Takes you to another place!

Edited by Paninistickers
Just reposted on Beatles thread
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I or someone has posted this but so what?

Some info on it.

"Be My Baby" is a song written by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, and Phil Spector. It was recorded on July 5, 1963 at Gold Star Studios Hollywood by American girl group the Ronettes and released as a single in August 1963 and later placed on their 1964 debut LP Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes featuring Veronica. Ronnie Spector is the only Ronette to appear on the single; her future husband Phil produced their elaborately layered recording in what is now considered a quintessential example of his Wall of Sound production formula.
It is considered one of the best songs of the 1960s by NME, Time, and Pitchfork staff members. In 1999, it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. In 2004, the song was ranked 22 by Rolling Stone in its list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and described as a "Rosetta stone for studio pioneers such as the Beatles and Brian Wilson," a notion supported by AllMusic who writes, "No less an authority than Brian Wilson has declared 'Be My Baby' the greatest pop record ever made—no arguments here." In 2006, the Library of Congress honored the Ronettes' version by adding it to the United States National Recording Registry. In 2017, Billboard named the song number 1 on their list of the "100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time".

• Like 4

Mary Wilson, who co-founded The Supremes and remained a member of the group until they split up, has died at the age of 76.

The singer's death was announced by her publicist Jay Schwartz but the cause of death has not yet been confirmed.

The Supremes were known for hits such as You Can't Hurry Love and Stop! In the Name of Love.

The group was founded in Detroit as The Primettes in 1959, when Wilson was 15 years old.

Wilson was an original member of the group alongside Diana Ross, Florence Ballard and Barbara Martin.

Martin left the group before they became successful, and The Supremes continued as a trio.

The group disbanded following Wilson's 1977 departure.

Just two days before her death, Wilson uploaded a video on YouTube announcing that she was working on releasing new solo material.

The Supremes - left to right: Florence Ballard, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, photographed backstage for 'Top of the Pops' (TOTP) in October 1965
image captionL-R: Florence Ballard, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson of The Supremes
The founder of Motown Records, Berry Gordy, said in a statement: "I was extremely shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of a major member of the Motown family, Mary Wilson of the Supremes.

"The Supremes were always known as the 'sweethearts of Motown.' Mary, along with Diana Ross and Florence Ballard, came to Motown in the early 1960s. After an unprecedented string of No. 1 hits, television and nightclub bookings, they opened doors for themselves, the other Motown acts, and many, many others."

He added: "I was always proud of Mary. She was quite a star in her own right and over the years continued to work hard to boost the legacy of the Supremes. Mary Wilson was extremely special to me. She was a trailblazer, a diva and will be deeply missed."

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If you only listen to one of the above songs, make it "It's Over".

I used to sing In Dreams to my kids to get them to sleep when they were babies 

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
Go to sleep, everything is alright
I close my eyes then I drift away
Into the magic night, I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do
Then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you
In dreams I walk with you
In dreams I talk to you
In dreams you're mine all of the time