Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Beautiful South.. did they used to be good early on?

Never really been into The Beautiful South, but in the pub the other night somebody put on a tune by them called 'Old Red Eyes Is Back' - an early tune of their's. Have to say I thought it was immense and I also like Song For Whoever too. However, having listened to stuff like Rotterdam etc - much later stuff - I must admit I can't stand stuff like that.

Just wondering then, did they use to be quite a respected group through their old stuff compared to more recent stuff??

Always been a good band imo.

Saw them supporting Deacon Blue once and who were slightly put out because their support act was Number 1 in the charts.

They jokingly commented about scrapping support acts in the future as on their last tour their support Fairground Attraction were at number 1.

It's a bit weird - I don't think I can comment fairly. Their music isn't my sort of thing at all, so I'm not sure whether it's good or not. I hadn't even heard anything by them in years, and my musical tastes change pretty much all the time, so I listened to the two tracks the OP said he liked. I had heard them before, and they are quite nice songs, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I know Rotterdam is a horrible song, but it's one of those songs that instantly takes me back. I had a radio alarm clock that would wake me up with that song all the time when it was in the charts. I had a major crush on a girl at school at the time. Looking back, I cannot work out what was wrong with me - she was a bit of a munter, really, and I could have done way, way better. I guess I was a low-expectation-having motherfvcker. Still, they were happy days.

Two good songwriters led the way for them. Produced some great songs... 'A little time', 'Old red eyes is back', 'Rotterdam', 'Dont marry her', 'Perfect 10' for example.

Thing is, I used to listen to them. Then I went about three years without listening to them. I then put all their Solid Bronze album on my iPod and never realised how good they were! They have become one of my favourite bands.

Used to be a good band back in the day, I went to the Birmingham NEC to see them so they were popular enough to play a big arena gig, formed after the Housemartins split up their first few albums were good Choke being a favourite of mine, changed their female vocalist a few years back which did not help matters, Paul Heaton has always been a clever song writer and well worth listening to.

I was, and still am, a massive fan of fab lefty indie/pop band The Housemartins, and I liked the first couple of Beautiful South singles and didn't think the debut album was bad either. By the time of the second album all the rough edges had been smoothed over and it was all a bit bland, which naturally coincided with a massive increase in their popularity so you can hardly blame them. The CD still resides in the 'relegation box' of never to be listened to again but don't quite have the heart to get rid of musical purchases in my loft

My favorite Beautiful South Song:

( I just think she uses her voices really well in this one...)

Ha! That was a massive hit (number one for a few weeks, if I'm not mistaken) but the point where they lost me.

Appeasing Bellend is not generally a route to commercial success, as the perilous financial status of most of my favourite turns will attest

Like Bellend I too enjoy the Housemartins, but have never had time for The Beautiful South.

It's the "we're oh so clever, listen to our subtle lyrics, have you worked it out yet?" triteness of their songs that annoys the hell out of me. Clever, subtle lyrics are fine, but the appropriately initialled BS tried to shoehorn them into ever single sentence. Their songs might as well have had a backing singer going, "Did you see what I did there? Did you see what I did there? Did you see what I did there?" as a backing track. Even their name, "The Beautiful South," is an annoying nudge, nudge, wink wink comment.

Hate them.

Archived