Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Nuneaton Away

I appreciate your opinion Thracian and I can see where your coming from. I do feel however that there is more to it than just 'lost' ability.

I'm not saying anybody in particular has implied it but a general vibe is to get rid of him on this basis of him not hitting his previous form. I for one think it's ridiculous as I'm fed up of the turnaround of players that we have.

He's low on confidence, back from an injury and lacking match fitness and form, he's had to hit the gym to keep his physical fitness but with the I jury he had, ball work would've been limited.

Also the point that in some eyes he may not have proved himself, why do some fans assume a player can't change. Sometimes reasons beyond anybody's control will slow a players progression and as much as we see players as 'idols' or even professionals , we do forget they all adore the same game we do and most Genuinly want to do the best they can. Sometimes doesn't work like that.

Just because he hasn't hit the ground running in the pre season games or previous matches does not mean he must automatically be deemed not good enough and have continuous fault picking.

I'm not sticking up for him for the sake of it or anything , I for one don't get why there must always be a scapegoat for dire analysis and blame when there might be genuine reasons why this clearly talented player isn't hitting the heights expected of him

Edit: Ok so I've looked on soccerbase and it seems to me that Fryatt/Howard were used as the central striker and Waghorn almost always on the wing as I thought. Unless you're telling me that Howard was played on the wing, or I'm making us playing 4-3-3 up?

I don't believe you are making it up but I don't believe the triumvirate of Waghorn, Fryatt and Howard were deployed with much frequency. He certainly played in a three after Vassells arrival but then Vassel was pushed out wide from what I recall (rather frustratingly too as when Vassel moved to the centre following Bednar's injury against Donny he destroyed them).

We are going round in ever decreasing circles here though. We've established his best position is in a 442 and we've established (at least I believe we have) that he operates on the right hand side of a 442, unfortunately for him that is also Nugent's preferred position and sadly I think nearly all city fans will agree that Nugent is the superior player.

I appreciate your opinion Thracian and I can see where your coming from. I do feel however that there is more to it than just 'lost' ability.

I'm not saying anybody in particular has implied it but a general vibe is to get rid of him on this basis of him not hitting his previous form. I for one think it's ridiculous as I'm fed up of the turnaround of players that we have.

He's low on confidence, back from an injury and lacking match fitness and form, he's had to hit the gym to keep his physical fitness but with the I jury he had, ball work would've been limited.

Also the point that in some eyes he may not have proved himself, why do some fans assume a player can't change. Sometimes reasons beyond anybody's control will slow a players progression and as much as we see players as 'idols' or even professionals , we do forget they all adore the same game we do and most Genuinly want to do the best they can. Sometimes doesn't work like that.

Just because he hasn't hit the ground running in the pre season games or previous matches does not mean he must automatically be deemed not good enough and have continuous fault picking.

I'm not sticking up for him for the sake of it or anything , I for one don't get why there must always be a scapegoat for dire analysis and blame when there might be genuine reasons why this clearly talented player isn't hitting the heights expected of him

This is not an unreasonable assertion but how long should one wait for a player to regain 'form' and who should make way to ensure that this takes place?

No one likes to see a high turnover of players but similarly no one likes to see a £2m+ investment languish in the reserves and decrease in value with every passing week.

I don't believe you are making it up but I don't believe the triumvirate of Waghorn, Fryatt and Howard were deployed with much frequency. He certainly played in a three after Vassells arrival but then Vassel was pushed out wide from what I recall (rather frustratingly too as when Vassel moved to the centre following Bednar's injury against Donny he destroyed them).

I'm not saying that all three started, but under Sousa certainly I remember Waghorn was on the left practically every match because he would always stick Howard or Fryatt up front as the lone striker (Which was really bloody pointless). Then under Sven he didn't play that frequently at all, but very, very rarely when he did was he used as a central striker because of Yakubu/Bednar/Vassell coming in (I agree Darius was less usefull on the wing). For that reason that season is unfair to judge Waggy on, especially as when he was used in a 4-4-2 (Scunthorpe for example, and I believe a lot of the Norwich game as well) he played well and got himself a couple of goals.

This is not an unreasonable assertion but how long should one wait for a player to regain 'form' and who should make way to ensure that this takes place?

We could certainly wait until he is used as a central striker under the manager who got the best out of him before. Waggy should certainly be above Schlupp in the pecking order, and there is no problem with using him in rotation. If Beckford proves to be as average as last year or if Vardy isn't yet ready for the step up then the door would deffinetly be open for Waghorn, we shouldn't do anything hasty until at least January because we need to see how Vardy adapts and if Beckford can improve on his form last year. Plus Futacs is only really going to be required in certain games the rest of the time (At home especially against less physically strong sides) Waghorn will be a better option.

We could certainly wait until he is used as a central striker under the manager who got the best out of him before. Waggy should certainly be above Schlupp in the pecking order, and there is no problem with using him in rotation. If Beckford proves to be as average as last year or if Vardy isn't yet ready for the step up then the door would deffinetly be open for Waghorn, we shouldn't do anything hasty until at least January because we need to see how Vardy adapts and if Beckford can improve on his form last year. Plus Futacs is only really going to be required in certain games the rest of the time (At home especially against less physically strong sides) Waghorn will be a better option.

We could, but as I have stated that would require moving Nugent out of position to accomodate him which I don't believe is a wise move.

Waghorn technically is not the best. If you watch him in the warm-up he is very wayward and tends to snatch at the ball rather than strike it cleanly.

Beckford, although he has a bad first touch, is much more composed in front of goal, and doesn't appear to over-hit the ball in a way that Waghorn tends to.

We could, but as I have stated that would require moving Nugent out of position to accomodate him which I don't believe is a wise move.

Which is why I said rotation as opposed to starting week in week out, it was just to keep you happy really, obviously didn't work. :(

Its up to him what happens really , he will be back up no matter what but he has to keep working in training and when he gets his chance we can't expect miracles. But I fully expect any player to be selected only when they deserve it and fit in with what Pearson wants on the day.

Am I the only one who thinks Waghorn could be best on the right of a 4-3-3? I know Sousa used him there for little effect, but he has all the attributes to do a really good job there. Would allow him to cut in and shoot from range, as is his wont.

I like Waggy but no more than a bench player for the start of the season. He has potential (he's still only 22) and he also has pace and strength. I also fancy him to be very much of a streak player so when he's hot he's hot and play him. They don't normally last for long but as Beckford is also a streak player it's nice to have a couple and hopefully their streaks complement each other. Don't get rid, not with 7 subs and don't play on the wing.

Don't agree about cutting in from the right but I see your logic. I just don't think he has enough to play there as all he's got is cutting. However, the boy can shoot powerfully (maybe not accurately all the time).

I think the thing about him is that he is very similar physically to Rooney and we see flashes of brilliance occasionally which is why we clamour for him on occasions. I guess if he wasn't inconsistent, he would have been played at Sunderland and would now be playing every week in the Prem.

In summary :) give him another go this season and I hope we play a bit more football now we have a few more creative midfielders. This season I think we will play direct football but it will be nice to watch as well as it will be slide rule early passing into space for our quick as fu...dge... strikers to run onto. The real test will be when "lesser teams" sit back and we have to unlock them. That's where we fell over last season as we couldn't pick the locks of defences.

Archived