Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cc_star

Feet Up On Deadline Day

Makes a nice change to be able relax and watch the headless chickens running around on deadline day... the day where agents fees, signing-on bonuses, loyalty bonuses and wage demands go through the roof, as a club's long term targets haven't come to fruition and they're left pulling names out of a hat whilst trying jam some paper in the fax machine at 10:59pm

All our business was done long ago, apart from maybe a departure for either financial reasons or because they could cause unrest sat on the sidelines thinking they're good enough for a first 11 spot, whilst time & time again proving they really aren't.

Taking a longer term view of it, we made some nice additions to the squad in January in Morgan, Drinkwater & Marshall who now look equipped and settled in to be able to play a key part in whatever success comes our way. Then we've added to the squad in this summer's transfer window relatively early doors with De Laet, James, Vardy, Knockaert & Fuctas along with cutting back a whole forest of deadwood and unhappy campers... our business is done, we did most of this whilst other manager's chose to get themselves on holiday.

Taking a look at our squad below, despite well over 20 departures it's still looking more than big enough, but now there's room for youngsters to blossom a bit... eg. Kennedy's shock departure from a position we appear not to have cover. Kennedy a 27yo who's not first choice, and most likely would always be the understudy to Konchesky, but Kennedy being there is inhibiting Taft's chances of growing as a player... His departure seems like sensible long-term management to me

3 GK - Schmeichel, Logan, Smith

2 RB - De Laet, Moore

5 CB - Morgan, Whitbread, SSL, Moore (again), Taft

2 LB - Konch, Taft (again)

4 Widemen - Marshall, Knockaert, Dyer, Gally

5 MF - King, Drinkwater, James, Danns, Wellens

8 ST - Nugent, Vardy, Waghorn, Schlupp, Fuctas, Beckford, Hopper, Blyth

There are of course many other youngsters, but I've only put Moore, Taft & Hopper down as they've been the most prominent in our matchday squad

3 keepers, 7 defenders, 9 midfielders & 8 forwards

The only signing I've seen done today where I've thought it would give us the edge is Spearing, but I'd have thought he wouldn't need to move to join Bolton and they also have the financial edge over us with years of Premiership money & of course parachute payments.

But good luck all the clubs in panic & their fans who think they're better off for being ripped off by signing a Premier League benchwarmer with minutes to spare... We've 'been there, done that' but this year we can relax.... along with Fergie

Of course I'd expect us to do some business in the loan window to fill any obvious gaps that crop up where we can get the next Hobbs, Spearing, Cleverly or whatever... but for now get SSN on and be thankful we aren't part of the madness

just because deals are done on the last day dont mean there all rush jobs with inflated prices..

deals could have been lined up for a while, negotiations could have been ongoing, funds may have needed to be made available first etc.

Boll%$&s to that !! I want four new strikers - at least one of whom we've never heard and whose name involves no vowels ..... and one who we have a long-standing hatred of; a foreign playmaker that is only known to 'Football Manager' gamesters; the stadium to be renamed as part of a new Malaysian coup; Sky Sports camped in our car park; and at least 40 million squirted up the wall !!! Where's the fun in being sensible ??????????

I've got a little fed up myself with all the debate over the last few days (yes, I know I started a thread myself but that was on the back of a game that pretty much everyone felt was a shocker). Now, I do think it's all going round in circles too.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how we perform tomorrow evening. Got nothing more to say until after the game and looking forward to a good game.

If we get anyone else in then it'll be interesting, if not then we'll just have to get on with it.

our fans are turning into the most twofaced lying lot of the league . who wouldn't want to be buying players after tuesday ? yes , nobheads !

Yes, if only we had enough players to make changes to and improve the team that played on Tuesday, if we don't buy someone now, overpriced and in a fit of panic, we will lose to Burton Albion every week!!!

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

We seem to have developed an inverted snobbery that we are above any spending these days and that any club that does is somehow inferior.

Ambition seems to have become a dirty word as the love of Mid table mediocrity, or scraping into the play offs, with Nige's thrifty attitude has become the new "success".

We seem to have developed an inverted snobbery that we are above any spending these days and that any club that does is somehow inferior.

Ambition seems to have become a dirty word as the love of Mid table mediocrity, or scraping into the play offs, with Nige's thrifty attitude has become the new "success".

We have spent plenty this summer, I don't see rushing through a deal today on the back of a reserve team defeat to Burton, and some bad results after good performances.

If we find ourselves lacking anywhere there is the loan market, 8 Million for Jordan Rhodes is just the kind of nonsense deal we don't want, look at Beckford last year, and Waghorn the year before, we over paid because we left it too late and were panicking, fortunately this year NP got all his deals done early so they got a good pre-season and we don't get exploited by the ridiculous transfer deadline day pantomime.

We may even capitalise by getting over the odds for SSL, Gally or whoever.

We have spent plenty this summer, I don't see rushing through a deal today on the back of a reserve team defeat to Burton, and some bad results after good performances.

If we find ourselves lacking anywhere there is the loan market, 8 Million for Jordan Rhodes is just the kind of nonsense deal we don't want, look at Beckford last year, and Waghorn the year before, we over paid because we left it too late and were panicking, fortunately this year NP got all his deals done early so they got a good pre-season and we don't get exploited by the ridiculous transfer deadline day pantomime.

We may even capitalise by getting over the odds for SSL, Gally or whoever.

I don't actually disagree with the thrust of your points here .... but surely any club should be looking to make improvements and we really are a country mile away from being a finished squad - so to say we have our feet up and looking down on those that aren't sorted just smacks of arrogance and inverted snobbery .....

If Nigel really does have his feet up and not making selective enquiries and calls about players then I'd be pretty horrified. I don't countenance mad panic buying ... but sensible business can be done on deadline day as well.

We've got ambition, cleared out about 20 players of deadwood and sold players who weren't the right fit like Mills and we've signed a load too, we just didn't leave it till last minute

You seem to equate ambition to having scored a load of goals in the 3rd tier half a decade ago, or maybe someone who'd cost a boatload of money whilst warming benches in the Premier league

We've got ambition, cleared out about 20 players of deadwood and sold players who weren't the right fit like Mills and we've signed a load too

You seem to equate ambition to having scored a load of goals in the 3rd tier half a decade ago, or maybe someone who'd cost a boatload of money whilst warming benches in the Premier league

Who did i mention that gave you that ridiculous impression?? If someone doesn't agree with your financial ambition then don't just assume they'd sign lots of crap players to waste money. At no point have i suggested anyone that fits in your above criteria.

Yes, if only we had enough players to make changes to and improve the team that played on Tuesday, if we don't buy someone now, overpriced and in a fit of panic, we will lose to Burton Albion every week!!!

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Just thought I'd let you know I'm probably going to Wolves away..

Up the Citeh... Etc...

:thumbup:

Archived