Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Lillestrom match thread

Bring on Inter.

139206[/snapback]

I agree there mate, more or less everything will or should be in place by then and we should get a good indication of what we are going to endure for the forthcoming season!!

BRING ON INTER!!!

We just need to build on performances game by game. We had a good win and one bad game, just take positives out of them and work on the negatives and concentrate on the next game. You dont gain anything by reflecting on the defeats like this.

I just cant wait till the important games start now!

Im glad that this has happened. A few people were getting carried away after our win on Thursday and this will have brought us down to Earth. We arent going to be top 2, we'll be lucky to get top 6, just Leicester fans are always thinking we are better than we actually are...

Im glad that this has happened. A few people were getting carried away after our win on Thursday and this will have brought us down to Earth. We arent going to be top 2, we'll be lucky to get top 6, just Leicester fans are always thinking we are better than we actually are...

139221[/snapback]

Exactly, I completely agree.

I hope Levein starts sorting out the defending from set pieces before the season starts because that is a major weakness of ours, as proved again today.

It'll be interesting to see how the players react to this result. Apart from confidence results during pre-season don't count for much so I'm not too worried that we lost but going on what Levein has said our defending was shocking. Could be to do with Gerrbrand not having an understanding with the rest of the defence but I don't think that's the only reason. This could be a blessing in disguise though. We've got a shocking performance out of our system before the season has started. We have time to learn from our mistakes and time to work on things. If we'd won all of our pre-season games and then gone to Sheffield and lost 5-1 then I'd start to worry. This is our wake up call. We've got a lot of work to do between now and August the 6th but I'm confident that the lads will take a look at themselves and realise that they don't want to be embarassed like today when the real football starts.

And remember guys, it would be very easy to ensure consistency in friendly scorelines if CL stuck with what (in theory) he feels his strongest 11 is. However, there would be little point in that. The whole purpose of friendlies is to improve stamina and fitness and to start working on blending various partnerships and formations together.

Lillestrom are no pushovers, and at this stage of pre-season having the advantage of 13 competitive matches under your belt cannot be underestimated. We must remember that the back four that played tonight has never done so before and included a player who has spent longer at 30,000 feet in the last week than on the training pitch. I would rather these deficiencies were identified now than at Bramall Lane.

Effective communication in a back four is vital. To be fair, we cannot have expected this to be anywhere near perfect tonight and it will take time. It may even take 10-15 games into the campaign. It is crucial however that the training staff work on concentration at corners and the seeming knack we have of inviting pressure upon our back line. The best teams in any league, in any country, have consistency of personnel in their back line and I am sure once CL makes a decision on his ideal four (or three) we will see vast improvements.

The fact that Alan Maybury was the most experienced LCFC man in our back four kind of adds fuel to this theory, what do you think?

CL's spin on it. :huh:

Levein On Defeat

City boss Craig Levein says that all is far from lost after his side went down 5-1 to Norwegian League side Lillestrom SK on Saturday afternoon.

The Foxes went into the second and final game of their mini tour of Norway on the back of a convincing 5-1 win over Bodo Glimt.

Levein made seven changes to that side to face Lillestrom, handing debuts to goalkeeper Paul Henderson and new signing Patrik Gerrbrand.

But City would go down by the same scoreline that they had won by just two days earlier in front of a 653-strong crowd.

Speaking after the match, Levein said: "In some ways it is not a bad thing that we were beaten. You can take our first game that we won - everybody thinks 'this is going to be easy'. We came to Norway to play good teams in difficult matches. That's the type of game that we could play in the Championship so from that point of view we need to be a hell of a lot better.

"As good as we were against Bodo on Thursday we were hopeless today. That's what it's about sometimes.

"I was surprised how well we played against Bodo, but that's the thing with pre-season. The things that we did well the other night, keeping possession and passing, we didn't do today. We gave the ball away constantly.

"Defensively we were poor - and that includes players all over the pitch. I think we lost to five headers, which from our point of view is a major disappointment.

"We didn't stop crosses, we gave away free-kicks in dangerous areas and we didn't attack the ball in the box. Everything that went right on Thursday went wrong today."

But Levein says that Tuesday night's match against Celtic at the Walkers Stadium will give his side the chance to right a few wrongs.

He added: "The trip has been good and I am quite happy. Obviously the Lillestrom result was disappointing, but our match against Celtic gives us an opportunity to wash this out of our minds."

Source

And remember guys, it would be very easy to ensure consistency in friendly scorelines if CL stuck with what (in theory) he feels his strongest 11 is. However, there would be little point in that. The whole purpose of friendlies is to improve stamina and fitness and to start working on blending various partnerships and formations together.

Lillestrom are no pushovers, and at this stage of pre-season having the advantage of 13 competitive matches under your belt cannot be underestimated. We must remember that the back four that played tonight has never done so before and included a player who has spent longer at 30,000 feet in the last week than on the training pitch. I would rather these deficiencies were identified now than at Bramall Lane.

Effective communication in a back four is vital. To be fair, we cannot have expected this to be anywhere near perfect tonight and it will take time. It may even take 10-15 games into the campaign. It is crucial however that the training staff work on concentration at corners and the seeming knack we have of inviting pressure upon our back line. The best teams in any league, in any country, have consistency of personnel in their back line and I am sure once CL makes a decision on his ideal four (or three) we will see vast improvements.

The fact that Alan Maybury was the most experienced LCFC man in our back four kind of adds fuel to this theory, what do you think?

139269[/snapback]

I agree. Pre-season is going to be about mixing and matching until we discover who works well together and who doesn't. The whole point of pre-season is to get it right for when it counts and if that means learning via some poor results in friendlies then so be it. Aslong as we do get it right when it counts, which I think we will, then I'll be happy.

indeed - in a strange way im very glad we got whooped - hopefully we'll be better prepared for our next matches. It would have been better putting this side out for the first game and then using main 11 for lillestrom match. Flipping daft using best (well most of them anyway) 11 on the weaker team and then shoving the 2nd team for the harder game...would have been a better boost for all concerned if it was the other way around

sigh..

do people agree?

Don't get too upset, it's only a friendly ;)

139154[/snapback]

I had a few people "tell me off" for saying that the other day :rolleyes:

139221[/snapback]

Thank fuk for that (maybe you don't think much of Friendlies either) but it takes a defeat like this to hear other fans saying stuff like oh well its a friendly it doesn't mean anything for the season ahead (No one has really said anything like that but they might aswell have!)

Its only a friendly, Friendly IMO mean nothing for the season ahead its good to see us win and the players can prove they have gelled, mixing, playing together as a team, e.t.c, but Friendlies have no bearing on the season ahead!

...So - Who's looking more optomistic now we have lost and now I and a handful of other have said "its only a friendly"?! Rather than worring we have lost saying we will struggle, e.t.c?! :rolleyes:

Im not mega concerned by this result, at least CL can see where we need to improve and strengthen. It has little or no bearing on the League campaign, its a different kettle of footballing fish altogether. It does however have an impact on confidence, if we get a good result against Inter and Celtic it will work wonders.

Edit: Didnt actually read what Matt said but its nice to know we have the same opinion on the subject lol;)

A lot of sense being spoken here.

Pre - season friendlies are about building a team, and a 5-1 reverse concentrates the mind and brings everyone, fans included, back to reality. Sorts the men from the boys.

Pre-season has always been a time for [unrealistic] dreams of glory, better the bump now than when it counts.

Up the City!

Greetings from Lillestrøm, guys!

As you are well aware of, my club is in the middle of their season, and are doing pretty well so far. 6th place doesnt sound like much, but only 3 points from 2nd makes it look a helluva lot better ;)

With new coach Uwe Rösler (sure youve heard about him from his ManCity days), the goal for this season is coming top four at the end of it, and continuing to build on that to finally be the best team in Norway once again. (Of course we already ARE, but yeah, you know what I mean ;))

We have recently signed (amongst other young and promising prosprects for the future) Bjørn Helge Riise, Liverpool-John Arnes sliiiightly less famous brother, and are currently building a squad for the future with a more playing and break-through aggressive style. For those of you who saw the game, and tiny Lillestrøm player and offensive striker/winger Mifsud, you will know what Im talking about.

Lillestrøm is also one of the most winning teams of all time in Norway, and no one can top the clubs record of 30 years without interruption in the premier league.

So you lost to a club with tradition, people. No shame in that. We might not be the biggest club in Norway, but we sure as hell are ALWAYS to be reconned with.

Good luck with your pre-season match against Celtic, and the forthcoming season!

You will have to forgive me for any typing errors, but I AM Norwegian, gimme a break :P

Greetings from Lillestrøm, guys!

As you are well aware of, my club is in the middle of their season, and are doing pretty well so far. 6th place doesnt sound like much, but only 3 points from 2nd makes it look a helluva lot better ;)

With new coach Uwe Rösler (sure youve heard about him from his ManCity days), the goal for this season is coming top four at the end of it, and continuing to build on that to finally be the best team in Norway once again. (Of course we already ARE, but yeah, you know what I mean ;))

We have recently signed (amongst other young and promising prosprects for the future) Bjørn Helge Riise, Liverpool-John Arnes sliiiightly less famous brother, and are currently building a squad for the future with a more playing and break-through aggressive style. For those of you who saw the game, and tiny Lillestrøm player and offensive striker/winger Mifsud, you will know what Im talking about.

Lillestrøm is also one of the most winning teams of all time in Norway, and no one can top the clubs record of 30 years without interruption in the premier league.

So you lost to a club with tradition, people. No shame in that. We might not be the biggest club in Norway, but we sure as hell are ALWAYS to be reconned with.

Good luck with your pre-season match against Celtic, and the forthcoming season!

You will have to forgive me for any typing errors, but I AM Norwegian, gimme a break :P

139420[/snapback]

Thank's for that Kixx, well I'm not ashamed of losing to Lillestrøm as I didn't really expect to beat you. Which ever league one is in team work and team spirit are essential, and you obviously have that and in England we have often seen in our Cup competitions the effect this can have..

Lillestrøm have a fantastic record in Norway and I suspect the quality at the top of your Premier is probably as high or higher than our Championship.

Good Luck for the rest of the season and if you qualify for Europe it will make yesterday's result even more acceptable.

As for your typing errors, well I've seen a lot worse ;)

Archived