Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

LCFC Crest 20ish Years old

Well I don't know the whats, whys and wherefores for our adoption of it, if it was for the perceived fox hunting link they got it wrong. But hey i guess no one cares really.

Don't know about no one cares, there was a hell of a lot of fans and people on here who objected to the idea of dropping the post horn gallop. But as you said it's part of the club now it's origins don't really matter.

Don't know about no one cares, there was a hell of a lot of fans and people on here who objected to the idea of dropping the post horn gallop. But as you said it's part of the club now it's origins don't really matter.

It's origin was what I was saying no one really cares or should do, I don't even know why I started this conversation :P

I do like our logo and have generally thought the tweaks made to it have improved it.

If I am not mistaken, the club has used four different versions of this logo:

the original version,

an updated version when we moved to the new stadium with a different font and slight change to make the fox slightly more orange,

the 125th anniversary commemorative badge, and

the current version with the same font and modified fox as the 125th anniversary badge, but with the fox back to its familiar yellow.

Personally, I like the current fox the most, but preferred the distinctive font used in the mid-2000s. The current font is a generic Copperplate, but as a positive, it appears very clean on webpages.

I like the current one, but my favorite is the 70's badge (although i wasn't around to see it used). It would be nice to see it come back at some point, maybe for a cheeky one year anniversary special or something.

As I know the designer well (he sleeps with my wife) thanks for all the nice things. It had escaped my notice about the anniverary as well!

To put a couple of things right - it was not based on or inspired by the Leeds one. The choice was between a shield which is heraldic code for combativity and a circle. I chose the circular one because it suggested togetherness.

The directors had no say in anything, BarryP had asked for a new look and feel about the place to mark a departure from the pre Little/George club and this was was the only pointer for me. It was a basic indicator of a new regime.

The gold was reintroduced (we had it for decades) as I and my colleague were angry that JockW had brought in a Rangers red when he came.

On the fox issue, two things dominated thinking. The first was that hunting was a hot political issue at the time so the crops were dropped. The stuff about a front on, more aggressive face is correct as it was the combatitive element lost when we went away from the shield.

The cinque foil was the first time the city had been represented for a club called City. It's roots were Norman nobility in the area.

Yes, the Post Horn Gallop, (played here by the LondonPhilharmonic) is not a hunt thing.

There have been three or so updates which were unnecessary IMO but the current version is close to the original.

I hope this adds to the debate and look forward to another twenty years with it (a new look would cost a small fortune because of its enormous number of applications)...

As I know the designer well (he sleeps with my wife) thanks for all the nice things. It had escaped my notice about the anniverary as well!

To put a couple of things right - it was not based on or inspired by the Leeds one. The choice was between a shield which is heraldic code for combativity and a circle. I chose the circular one because it suggested togetherness.

The directors had no say in anything, BarryP had asked for a new look and feel about the place to mark a departure from the pre Little/George club and this was was the only pointer for me. It was a basic indicator of a new regime.

The gold was reintroduced (we had it for decades) as I and my colleague were angry that JockW had brought in a Rangers red when he came.

On the fox issue, two things dominated thinking. The first was that hunting was a hot political issue at the time so the crops were dropped. The stuff about a front on, more aggressive face is correct as it was the combatitive element lost when we went away from the shield.

The cinque foil was the first time the city had been represented for a club called City. It's roots were Norman nobility in the area.

Yes, the Post Horn Gallop, (played here by the LondonPhilharmonic) is not a hunt thing.

There have been three or so updates which were unnecessary IMO but the current version is close to the original.

I hope this adds to the debate and look forward to another twenty years with it (a new look would cost a small fortune because of its enormous number of applications)...

Well..... Nice work.

As the un-named colleague in Oadlad's piece about the badge I can add a little to what he has said. True, it was not inspired by Leeds. Pierpoint's brief, or rather the brief we formulated with him, was to produce something that spoke graphically in combination of both the club and the municipality. We also wanted to reconnect the badge with its historical antecedents. It also had to be sufficiently strong, at the same time avoiding the crass brutalism of the Wolverhampton effort. I think we nailed it. You can see in it all elements of all the badges since WW2, with the notable exception of the three legged fox, which was an abomination in design terms and a psychological motivational disaster - he is clearly running away! Our fox is staring at you and Martin George, chairman at the time, summed it up well at the press conference to launch the new look when he said: 'You will blink before he does!'

The elements first appeared as a rough sketch on a beer mat. That's a copywriter's usual limit - we can do everything and know what it should look like more or less but we need the talent of a top graphics man to put it down and make it perfect. This was the traditional way of working in advertising agencies until quite recently and I thihk that output is seriously down in quality since that ceased to be the case. Oadlad and I worked as a great team should. Criticism was given and accepted and we always strove to make sure that we were both 100% behind what we finished up wtih.

Interestingly, we had been introduced to each other by BP after we had both independently made appointments to see him and tell him that in our judgement as communication professionals ansd long-time City fans, the club's image and material was , er, shite. We met and got on and went on to work on a number of other good pieces of business as well as redesigning and rewriting almost everything else around LCFC over a 24 - 36 month period.

The tweaking of all things began when the club dispensed with outside consultants and created its own graphics department. That has been carried on as other agencies have subsequently been involved. I wish they had left it alone but know how people like to tinker.

I endorse the comment about its survival being a tribute to its quality and would have to say that having in my time done work for national and international brands such as Audi, Maxwell House, TidyBritain and British Rail the City badge remains the item of which I am most proud to have been involvd with by several country miles.

As the un-named colleague in Oadlad's piece about the badge I can add a little to what he has said. True, it was not inspired by Leeds. Pierpoint's brief, or rather the brief we formulated with him, was to produce something that spoke graphically in combination of both the club and the municipality. We also wanted to reconnect the badge with its historical antecedents. It also had to be sufficiently strong, at the same time avoiding the crass brutalism of the Wolverhampton effort. I think we nailed it. You can see in it all elements of all the badges since WW2, with the notable exception of the three legged fox, which was an abomination in design terms and a psychological motivational disaster - he is clearly running away! Our fox is staring at you and Martin George, chairman at the time, summed it up well at the press conference to launch the new look when he said: 'You will blink before he does!'

The elements first appeared as a rough sketch on a beer mat. That's a copywriter's usual limit - we can do everything and know what it should look like more or less but we need the talent of a top graphics man to put it down and make it perfect. This was the traditional way of working in advertising agencies until quite recently and I thihk that output is seriously down in quality since that ceased to be the case. Oadlad and I worked as a great team should. Criticism was given and accepted and we always strove to make sure that we were both 100% behind what we finished up wtih.

Interestingly, we had been introduced to each other by BP after we had both independently made appointments to see him and tell him that in our judgement as communication professionals ansd long-time City fans, the club's image and material was , er, shite. We met and got on and went on to work on a number of other good pieces of business as well as redesigning and rewriting almost everything else around LCFC over a 24 - 36 month period.

The tweaking of all things began when the club dispensed with outside consultants and created its own graphics department. That has been carried on as other agencies have subsequently been involved. I wish they had left it alone but know how people like to tinker.

I endorse the comment about its survival being a tribute to its quality and would have to say that having in my time done work for national and international brands such as Audi, Maxwell House, TidyBritain and British Rail the City badge remains the item of which I am most proud to have been involvd with by several country miles.

You should both be very proud, it's a terrific piece of work.

I have to agree about the tweaks being unnecessary, I thought the original version made the fox look more imposing. Still, as I said it's one of the best badges around. :thumbup:

Sorry to be pedantic but that was not the first but the third and the worst IMO. It differs only in that the lettering was beefed up and lost its feel and proportion.

Unfortunately it was the one that adorns the new stadium, but there you go...

Sorry to be pedantic but that was not the first but the third and the worst IMO. It differs only in that the lettering was beefed up and lost its feel and proportion.

Unfortunately it was the one that adorns the new stadium, but there you go...

Oh yeh I can see what you mean.

Is this it?

lcfcwallstickermyroom6.jpg

Or this?

lcfcseasonreview96972.png

Yes, the second (cloth?) one is the original, although a familiar mistake in application has occured which is that the 'gold' has changed to a cartoonish lemon yellow. This has happened so many times I no longer gnash my teeth, and is due to weak policing since we left it to others. The other is the first tweek and is Ok with the colours but for some pointless reason the lettering has been switched to Times Roman. This has made it harder for the non print applications like clothing etc., one of the applications which designers have to allow for. I hope this is not getting too detailed!

Yes, the second (cloth?) one is the original, although a familiar mistake in application has occured which is that the 'gold' has changed to a cartoonish lemon yellow. This has happened so many times I no longer gnash my teeth, and is due to weak policing since we left it to others. The other is the first tweek and is Ok with the colours but for some pointless reason the lettering has been switched to Times Roman. This has made it harder for the non print applications like clothing etc., one of the applications which designers have to allow for. I hope this is not getting too detailed!

Haha no I'm just about keeping up :blush:

I should have known this already tbf, I never really noticed there had been so may tweaks I just assumed they were all the same until a couple of years ago.

I don't want to make you gnash your teeth so I won't post any more pictures ;)

Archived