Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Lesson learnt

For the first time, on Saturday, I have to disagree with Davie G.

Football 'fanism' HAS changed. Even when the club are doing well, the atmosphere has remained pretty shite.

It wasnt like this in so many games at Filbert Street. Even when we were losing, being in SK 1 was completely different to how it is now.

The away fans were right next to us, for a start (as in, literally, just the opposite side of the concourse.).

When we scored, there was a surge and, although it could become a bit fraught at times, it created a buzz that just can't be replicated anymore.

After the Palace game, me and my mates went to the Pub, on New Walk and started singing the songs of old (Iwan is a Welshmen, there's a circus, Filbert Street etc.) and we all said how these songs were so better than the ones today (although I do like the Knocky one). Tom, from Kasabian, was in there with us and singing his heart out!

The crowd composition has changed too... the 'family atmosphere' isn't as raw (for want of a better term) as it used to be... I sit near a load of kids who, although its great they are coming to football matches, are forever up and down, wanting hot dogs and crisps.

I think its all too tame now to be honest. I don't condone crowd violence, of course not, but the games at Filbert Street, in the 80's and 90's had more of a 'feel' about them. Whether I felt this because I was a youth myself at the time, or whether it was just 'better', I don't really know?

What I do know is that we created more atmosphere and had a better laugh, in the pub after the game, than at the game.

Health and safety has made watching football 'safer'.. of course..but definately to the detriment of 'atmosphere' at football, at least in the way I used to know it.

One thing I have noticed is that we tend to stop making as much noise when we go behind in games..this is pretty obvious to me and would not have happened in the Pens at Filbert Street. At least, as I can remember.

Exactly mate, supporting our club especially in the great and not so great Filbo days was like wearing a badge of honour! Loud and proud whatever the performances and incredibly vocal in the face of adversity. Leicester fans wit has always been razor sharp and some of our lightning quick retorts to opposition fans chants was both hilarious and razor sharp.Nowadays we seem to spend too much time on poncy fabricated chants that we've lost our identity IMO.bring back the wind up chants levelled at he opposition fans and some of the old classics and be different "retro" in that way :chant:

Just a thought. The loud music before the game didn't stop the Palace fans making a good noise. Why don't the 'travelling' fans, the 2,000 or so who follow us up and down the country, all gather together in that bit near the Away fans, and gradually bring the 'Away' atmosphere to Home games.

I think a bit more 'up the football league we go' wouldn't go amiss. Worked a treat when we were 'Brian Little's team' back in the day. Keep your spirits up lads. Anyone who went to Wembley and felt, let alone heard the noise when we drew level to 3-3 knows we can make some noise. Still makes me come out in goosebumps.

Bad day on Saturday, but we're still second, and I reckon the 2k at Watford on Saturday will make a good noise.

Blue Army

Seems like nothing we try works, there's still too many who think "we should all move here and there", whilst everyone seems to agree it would help if they're all in one area (although I think either side of the away end would be ideal myself but that's the Kop/FamilyStand swap idea which automatically makes me seem a troll), yet everyone seems to disagree on which area.

Fully agreed about up the football league we go. Superb song.

Googled it, it definitely was him, thought it sounded like him and fair play for someone so big name he strikes me as very down to earth, yet another thing that makes me a fan of them.

Sounds like I was right next to them, it was quite entertaining actually when you end up moved to the posh seats and you're still acting rowdy and swearing all the time. lol

Yeh my uncle has known him and Serge for a while and he says the same.

This has all come about because we have owners who have no affinity with the club no sense of shared history and are only using us as a vehicle to advertise their brand name. They are plastic know nothing about English football and will dump us if their initial investment does not bare immediate fruit. Shitty full blast music, Asian advertisement all over the place and their frequent absence says it all.

This has all come about because we have owners who have no affinity with the club no sense of shared history and are only using us as a vehicle to advertise their brand name. They are plastic know nothing about English football and will dump us if their initial investment does not bare immediate fruit. Shitty full blast music, Asian advertisement all over the place and their frequent absence says it all.

Sad but true, never have been a fan of foreign ownership and simply never will be.

You are talking about a generation that is more interested in putting photos and comments on Facebook than being part of something, along with different commercial interest from the club I do feel to a large degree you are swimming against the tide. It would be interesting if balloons were to be handed out outside the ground as in the O'niell era. Oddly enough the wife tells me you can hear the crowd in the city centre.

You are talking about a generation that is more interested in putting photos and comments on Facebook than being part of something, along with different commercial interest from the club I do feel to a large degree you are swimming against the tide. It would be interesting if balloons were to be handed out outside the ground as in the O'niell era. Oddly enough the wife tells me you can hear the crowd in the city centre.

You will never get the atmosphere like it was at the old Filbo because the new ground is too open. The noise from the kop and the east stand was amplified due to the lower roof/upper tier and enhanced the noise as opposed to the new ground which is too open.

Also the days of hundreds of pissed up lads all congregating together has gone. The sanitised atmosphere of families has negated any attempt at atmosphere as some of us older posters used to know.

What Dan said earlier in this thread is true. Out of the group of 8+ that would always go together from when we had reached our late teens in the early 90's there are only a couple that regularly go these days. When you have young kids i it becomes an expense you can do without and on the rare occasion I venture down to the King Power I have at least 1 of the brood with me. Very few people with young children will sing and chant for 90 mins.

Was an off day all round, the team were shite, the ground was actually looking a bit empty for a 3pm saturday game being top of the table with only 23,000 odd there and even I and the guys I was with were feeling a bit low and fed up.

Was just strange all round.

Tell me about it, a quid to park in the old cattle market and £20 for one adult two children in the bike shed.

Wasn't going to go to this match initially but when my lad asked for a lift to the station to be there for 2pm, I thought I might as well cos I'm near, £27 to watch palace!!

i dont have a season ticket as i'm a student in Nottingham but i reckon i get to 1/3 home games and around 5-8 away games a season too. Not bad considering i live on around 60 quid a week! i think we only have ourselves to blame, the club hasn't directly stopped us from creating an atmosphere, i know its terror having to listen to the pre match music full volume but like someone said before it didn't stop the Palace fans? I think the 'New Chants' thread is great and i think there should be an additional thread for the lads who sit in L1/K to discuss songs etc and create a proper vocal atmosphere, and not become quite when we are 1-0 down when the team need the 12th man most

Was an off day all round, the team were shite, the ground was actually looking a bit empty for a 3pm saturday game being top of the table with only 23,000 odd there and even I and the guys I was with were feeling a bit low and fed up.

Was just strange all round.

What strikes me as "strange" about that is the fact it really isn't that surprising and this is for a team that went into it top of the league after 6 wins out of 6 at home.

There's simply no explaining it, if I was to go away to Cardiff this weekend and their support was like ours was on Saturday I'd be pissing myself.

i dont have a season ticket as i'm a student in Nottingham but i reckon i get to 1/3 home games and around 5-8 away games a season too. Not bad considering i live on around 60 quid a week! i think we only have ourselves to blame, the club hasn't directly stopped us from creating an atmosphere, i know its terror having to listen to the pre match music full volume but like someone said before it didn't stop the Palace fans? I think the 'New Chants' thread is great and i think there should be an additional thread for the lads who sit in L1/K to discuss songs etc and create a proper vocal atmosphere, and not become quite when we are 1-0 down when the team need the 12th man most

They've not officially banned atmosphere but they've simply taken measures to almost replace fans who create atmosphere with those who don't - for the reason the ones who don't will generally put more money in via merchandise.

I'm not trying to generalise all families - for all I know there could be some that all join into the decent songs and don't put anything in via merchandise, which is not necessarily a good or bad thing, but I guarantee more of the fans the club are attracting are quieter than the ones they're neglecting and anyone who seriously doesn't believe the club are neglecting the 18-40 age bracket are blind.

No that's the Rugby.

Archived