Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Lesson learnt

I thought the atmosphere vs Bristol City was very good in the first 30 minutes when I was sitting in K Block, so it should've been as we were 4 games unbeaten at the time. But I think that we do actually have the potential to create a decent atmosphere at home. I wouldn't have said that until when I drove up for the Blackpool and Bristol games this season because whenever I'd been to our ground before that, the atmosphere has been sh*t every time (except for 1 cup game against Villa).

It's true. It's not a lot different now really, we have one main section of singing and other pockets that will join in/ start their own at some point.

People just remember the great atmospheres, like the European nights and the semi-finals, but I don't believe there is a large difference in the numbers singing now compared to then. The set-up of Filbert St helped to keep the noise contained, which doesn't occur at the Way.

Even comparing things to 2/3 seasons ago though, it's bad.

The lack of enthusiasm and positivity at a time like this is astounding.

As a 60 year old guy who used to stand on the old Kop at Filbert Street in the days even before the Kop was even segregated there is one major difference today which Flowwolf touched upon in his post today. That is the loud pre-match music played over the tanoy prior to kick off. In the "old days" the match atmosphere started to build up pre-match with each set of fans trying to out sing each other building up to a crescendo when the teams came out. Today that is not possible due to the City sound system drowning out any attempts to generate any atmosphere pre kick off. My personal view is that the atmosphere would improve considerably if pre kick off the sound system was either turned off or played at a lower volume and leave it to the fans to provide the entertainment.

As a 60 year old guy who used to stand on the old Kop at Filbert Street in the days even before the Kop was even segregated there is one major difference today which Flowwolf touched upon in his post today. That is the loud pre-match music played over the tanoy prior to kick off. In the "old days" the match atmosphere started to build up pre-match with each set of fans trying to out sing each other building up to a crescendo when the teams came out. Today that is not possible due to the City sound system drowning out any attempts to generate any atmosphere pre kick off. My personal view is that the atmosphere would improve considerably if pre kick off the sound system was either turned off or played at a lower volume and leave it to the fans to provide the entertainment.

Probably true but you'd also need to get fans to turn up earlier, hardly anyone is there until 10 minutes before. To do that you'd need to make it unreserved seating and just sell tickets for each block.

Fair point Kitchandro but perhaps fans may turn up earlier if they felt that they could make a difference without being drowned out, who knows, just a thought.

Agreed. The pre-match "music" was diabolical yesterday. I felt I needed earplugs. I happened to get to my seat only 10 mins before the start, and was greatly relieved for that.

Drove up from Cornwall for the game yesterday. Sat in SK1 and the atmosphere was dreadfull (obv). The only song that was sung with any passion was 'L1, give us a song'.

It was really embarrasing. We just have no original songs. We used to have one for every player and also other

Not a ****ing chance and if we couldnt get an atmosphere going after being unbeaten in 7 games a 100% home record and a decent away following to banter with, its never going to happen.

I'm driving up again for the Forest game with a client who's a Forest fan and we're sitting in L1. I really hope the local derby aspect brings us all out of the coma we seemed to have lapsed into yesterday.

I thought we almost got "we all live in a blue and White Kop" and WYS going, will keep trying. You should have come up to t back and joined the few of us that try, just need extra numbers to make enough row to get the Kop going. I'm not loud enough on my own. I have to say I was very disappointed with L1 yesterday. I will keep trying so if anyone wants to join in at the top of SK1 they are very welcome.

Pretty shite when you can stand at the back of SK1 and no more than half a dozen folks are up for singing WYS.

Plenty of good lads driven away from attending homes since the move, now the fruits of the club's policy of alienating the 16-35s is coming to fruition...

...and it's ****ing horrible.

Agreed. The pre-match "music" was diabolical yesterday. I felt I needed earplugs. I happened to get to my seat only 10 mins before the start, and was greatly relieved for that.

Could someone please enlighten me as to why the pre-match music (if you could call it that!) was played so loudly. To have a normal conversation proved difficult unless one shouted.

I assume that someone had actually chosen the tracks played but to what purpose? Was it to create 'atmosphere? Was it to drown out the noice from the Palace fans? or was it to stop anyone falling asleep before the teams came out!

I remember in the fifties and early sixties when we had the Sally Army Brass Band playing Sousa marches and the like. Alright, we've moved on since then but whilst that cacophony of sound that we were obliged to listen to yesterday may have appealed to some, I doubt it was enjoyed by the majority.

Pretty shite when you can stand at the back of SK1 and no more than half a dozen folks are up for singing WYS.

Plenty of good lads driven away from attending homes since the move, now the fruits of the club's policy of alienating the 16-35s is coming to fruition...

I whole heartedly agree but will keep trying, not letting the tradition go while I attend the ground.

I didn't realise the club were banning certain people now or banning singing? it's a disgrace.

I thought we almost got "we all live in a blue and White Kop" and WYS going, will keep trying. You should have come up to t back and joined the few of us that try, just need extra numbers to make enough row to get the Kop going. I'm not loud enough on my own. I have to say I was very disappointed with L1 yesterday. I will keep trying so if anyone wants to join in at the top of SK1 they are very welcome.

I'd love too mate and if I ever move back, will deffo do so.

One last one that stopped was, 'Blue Army!'

That just chanted over and over again for 3 - 4 minutes straight used to be the one that drowned out the away support. I always remember being in Pen 1 of the kop and literally attacking the away fans with this until they shut up.

BLUE ARMY

BLUE ARMY

BLUE ARMY

BLUE ARMY

Ive been every game so far and our away fans have been amazing tbh, wolves was a bit crap but being 2-0 you're not the happiest.. same with Palace, if they put on a good show or are winning the crowd is always louder, its not because we have 'crap' fans, we have one of the best in the league, especially away!

Our fans haven't been close to "amazing" at all, I honestly have looked at sides like Norwich & Southampton, two clubs I'd say are extremely similar sized to us, I've seen them pair both flying in this league, selling out most places and creating class atmospheres, our away numbers have been decent (but not brilliant) but vocally, I'm sorry but we're just shit now, we're not close to even what those two were.

We've got a club that doesn't have a single bit of interest in atmosphere, well I mean fans creating atmosphere and singing our genuine traditional songs, more an atmosphere of half-time entertainment for the kids and playing fvcking Bangarang at a million decibels at 2:55 (although the song isn't awful it's played far too loud for a football game and it just strikes me as being well out of place). Basically our support is beginning to reflect what the club want it to be and it certainly is far from what I'm a fan of.

Our songs are getting more and more boring every single season, I like the Knockaert one, that's a cracking effort, but it just pisses me off, why do we go "oh but most clubs in this league nick songs", why can we not be different? These are the same people who'd wank themselves silly over Palace's support because it was different from the usual, yet we're happy to be the same as everyone else, too many are anyway.

A lot of clubs suffer from poor home support but that is not an excuse at all for ours being shit, why should we accept shit just because everyone else's is?

Saturday was pathetic in truth. If someone from the future had told me five years ago that we were top of the league I'd instantly be thinking "oh get the fvck in, I can't wait to get to that game, we'll probably win in front of 30k and it'll be superb", but no, twenty three and a half thousand (absolutely laughable) and outsung by a fanbase who were managerless. Pathetic, utterly pathetic. I swear only our home support would be this bad considering we're top.

I didn't realise the club were banning certain people now or banning singing? it's a disgrace.

You completely missed the point .He did not say the club were banning singing or certain people, he said they were alienating people which is true, and drowning out the singing with stupid full blast so called music both in and outside the ground. It's so tin pot and pathetic. Coupled with the ridiculous prices to watch a match no wonder people are staying away in their droves even when we were top. Look at Tuesday nights attendance compared to Saturday ? It's so blindingly obvious where the problem lies.

As the thread title says lesson learnt ? No one at the club is learning any lesson and it's just going to get worse.

Our fans haven't been close to "amazing" at all, I honestly have looked at sides like Norwich & Southampton, two clubs I'd say are extremely similar sized to us, I've seen them pair both flying in this league, selling out most places and creating class atmospheres, our away numbers have been decent (but not brilliant) but vocally, I'm sorry but we're just shit now, we're not close to even what those two were.

We've got a club that doesn't have a single bit of interest in atmosphere, well I mean fans creating atmosphere and singing our genuine traditional songs, more an atmosphere of half-time entertainment for the kids and playing fvcking Bangarang at a million decibels at 2:55 (although the song isn't awful it's played far too loud for a football game and it just strikes me as being well out of place). Basically our support is beginning to reflect what the club want it to be and it certainly is far from what I'm a fan of.

Our songs are getting more and more boring every single season, I like the Knockaert one, that's a cracking effort, but it just pisses me off, why do we go "oh but most clubs in this league nick songs", why can we not be different? These are the same people who'd wank themselves silly over Palace's support because it was different from the usual, yet we're happy to be the same as everyone else, too many are anyway.

A lot of clubs suffer from poor home support but that is not an excuse at all for ours being shit, why should we accept shit just because everyone else's is?

Saturday was pathetic in truth. If someone from the future had told me five years ago that we were top of the league I'd instantly be thinking "oh get the fvck in, I can't wait to get to that game, we'll probably win in front of 30k and it'll be superb", but no, twenty three and a half thousand (absolutely laughable) and outsung by a fanbase who were managerless. Pathetic, utterly pathetic. I swear only our home support would be this bad considering we're top.

For the first time, on Saturday, I have to disagree with Davie G.

Football 'fanism' HAS changed. Even when the club are doing well, the atmosphere has remained pretty shite.

It wasnt like this in so many games at Filbert Street. Even when we were losing, being in SK 1 was completely different to how it is now.

The away fans were right next to us, for a start (as in, literally, just the opposite side of the concourse.).

When we scored, there was a surge and, although it could become a bit fraught at times, it created a buzz that just can't be replicated anymore.

After the Palace game, me and my mates went to the Pub, on New Walk and started singing the songs of old (Iwan is a Welshmen, there's a circus, Filbert Street etc.) and we all said how these songs were so better than the ones today (although I do like the Knocky one). Tom, from Kasabian, was in there with us and singing his heart out!

The crowd composition has changed too... the 'family atmosphere' isn't as raw (for want of a better term) as it used to be... I sit near a load of kids who, although its great they are coming to football matches, are forever up and down, wanting hot dogs and crisps.

I think its all too tame now to be honest. I don't condone crowd violence, of course not, but the games at Filbert Street, in the 80's and 90's had more of a 'feel' about them. Whether I felt this because I was a youth myself at the time, or whether it was just 'better', I don't really know?

What I do know is that we created more atmosphere and had a better laugh, in the pub after the game, than at the game.

Health and safety has made watching football 'safer'.. of course..but definately to the detriment of 'atmosphere' at football, at least in the way I used to know it.

One thing I have noticed is that we tend to stop making as much noise when we go behind in games..this is pretty obvious to me and would not have happened in the Pens at Filbert Street. At least, as I can remember.

Football 'fanism' HAS changed. Even when the club are doing well, the atmosphere has remained pretty shite.

It wasnt like this in so many games at Filbert Street. Even when we were losing, being in SK 1 was completely different to how it is now.

The away fans were right next to us, for a start (as in, literally, just the opposite side of the concourse.).

When we scored, there was a surge and, although it could become a bit fraught at times, it created a buzz that just can't be replicated anymore.

After the Palace game, me and my mates went to the Pub, on New Walk and started singing the songs of old (Iwan is a Welshmen, there's a circus, Filbert Street etc.) and we all said how these songs were so better than the ones today (although I do like the Knocky one). Tom, from Kasabian, was in there with us and singing his heart out!

The crowd composition has changed too... the 'family atmosphere' isn't as raw (for want of a better term) as it used to be... I sit near a load of kids who, although its great they are coming to football matches, are forever up and down, wanting hot dogs and crisps.

I think its all too tame now to be honest. I don't condone crowd violence, of course not, but the games at Filbert Street, in the 80's and 90's had more of a 'feel' about them. Whether I felt this because I was a youth myself at the time, or whether it was just 'better', I don't really know?

What I do know is that we created more atmosphere and had a better laugh, in the pub after the game, than at the game.

Health and safety has made watching football 'safer'.. of course..but definately to the detriment of 'atmosphere' at football, at least in the way I used to know it.

One thing I have noticed is that we tend to stop making as much noise when we go behind in games..this is pretty obvious to me and would not have happened in the Pens at Filbert Street. At least, as I can remember.

Could have wrote that word for word myself.

That deafening pop music pre match is there for a reason, i can feel them racking there brains as to what they can do during the match to make it even more family orientated.

Its shit being a football fan these days if you want to go along for the old school atmosphere or even any atmosphere.

Col you make a great point about pub atmosphere, it does seem to be the place you are most likely to get it going with the added bous of nowadays both sets of fans are together and a proper sing off takes place. Clearly the close proximity, beer and pride fuel tis but everyone seems to instantly join in. Also it's loud and intense especially if it's inside. Just a shame it cant be translated to the ground where it's clearly diluted and split up too much to have any effect.

Fully agree with every word of that and I really am not a fan of it, I can't help but think the authorities have tackled an extreme (hooliganism) with another extreme (trying to completely eradicate atmosphere 100%), I just hate the way it is nowadays in football. It's just accepted now that you'll have shit home support, why accept it? It's accepted we'll pay absolutely ridiculous prices, again, why? I just hate the way the fans in this country seem to take any old shit that clubs and the FA throw at them, they say jump the fans say how high.

Anyone who's been going for the past 10 years and has been looking at what kind of thing they put on the site, looking at the charts of our prices for each section, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what's going on, the club are happy to see off the people who make atmosphere as they feel they can replace them with families who'll join in to generic songs after watching Soccer AM in the morning after buying the new "we love you" scarf. All because they'll put more money into the club via merchandise, the club are happy to see off any people who right strike them as too rowdy. This may come across as very much a load of generalisations (and I can understand people taking offence and I don't mean to, it doesn't cover 100% of fans) but you can see my gist, our support is turning into what the club want it to be bit by bit and it's absolute crap.

It's easy to blame the fans, of course the fans aren't blameless, but I think our club are to blame on top of all personally for what they're trying (and succeeding) to turn our support into.

By the way Col, Tom from Kasabian? Funnily enough I think I was sat next to him on Saturday, we'd got some free upgrade to Keith Weller Lounge for some reason so thought why not for a change and I swear I was next to him, sounded a lot like him and to give him credit he was brilliant, really was involved and passionate and didn't let the fact he's very high profile change his attitude at football, this of course if providing it was him.

Fully agree with every word of that and I really am not a fan of it, I can't help but think the authorities have tackled an extreme (hooliganism) with another extreme (trying to completely eradicate atmosphere 100%), I just hate the way it is nowadays in football. It's just accepted now that you'll have shit home support, why accept it? It's accepted we'll pay absolutely ridiculous prices, again, why? I just hate the way the fans in this country seem to take any old shit that clubs and the FA throw at them, they say jump the fans say how high.

Anyone who's been going for the past 10 years and has been looking at what kind of thing they put on the site, looking at the charts of our prices for each section, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what's going on, the club are happy to see off the people who make atmosphere as they feel they can replace them with families who'll join in to generic songs after watching Soccer AM in the morning after buying the new "we love you" scarf. All because they'll put more money into the club via merchandise, the club are happy to see off any people who right strike them as too rowdy. This may come across as very much a load of generalisations (and I can understand people taking offence and I don't mean to, it doesn't cover 100% of fans) but you can see my gist, our support is turning into what the club want it to be bit by bit and it's absolute crap.

It's easy to blame the fans, of course the fans aren't blameless, but I think our club are to blame on top of all personally for what they're trying (and succeeding) to turn our support into.

By the way Col, Tom from Kasabian? Funnily enough I think I was sat next to him on Saturday, we'd got some free upgrade to Keith Weller Lounge for some reason so thought why not for a change and I swear I was next to him, sounded a lot like him and to give him credit he was brilliant, really was involved and passionate and didn't let the fact he's very high profile change his attitude at football, this of course if providing it was him.

A couple of my mates were in the Weller Lounge too mate.

Yeah, Tom was fookin brill in the pub. Let us take photos with him and he started most of the singing.

Magic night...

Googled it, it definitely was him, thought it sounded like him and fair play for someone so big name he strikes me as very down to earth, yet another thing that makes me a fan of them.

Sounds like I was right next to them, it was quite entertaining actually when you end up moved to the posh seats and you're still acting rowdy and swearing all the time. lol

Just a thought. The loud music before the game didn't stop the Palace fans making a good noise. Why don't the 'travelling' fans, the 2,000 or so who follow us up and down the country, all gather together in that bit near the Away fans, and gradually bring the 'Away' atmosphere to Home games.

I think a bit more 'up the football league we go' wouldn't go amiss. Worked a treat when we were 'Brian Little's team' back in the day. Keep your spirits up lads. Anyone who went to Wembley and felt, let alone heard the noise when we drew level to 3-3 knows we can make some noise. Still makes me come out in goosebumps.

Bad day on Saturday, but we're still second, and I reckon the 2k at Watford on Saturday will make a good noise.

Blue Army

Googled it, it definitely was him, thought it sounded like him and fair play for someone so big name he strikes me as very down to earth, yet another thing that makes me a fan of them.

Sounds like I was right next to them, it was quite entertaining actually when you end up moved to the posh seats and you're still acting rowdy and swearing all the time. lol

lol

Yep.... Seemed like a good fella..

Archived