Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Youth Cup v Blackburn (away)

OS

academy-cele-4-3-lc4940-017280-495548_478x359.jpg

LCFC Under-18sImage by: Plumb Images

Academy Director Jon Rudkin looks ahead to Tuesday's FA Youth Cup tie at Blackburn Rovers.

Academy Director Jon Rudkin hopes City’s youngsters can draw on the experience of playing in a senior environment for the Under-21s when they take on Blackburn Rovers in the FA Youth Cup on Tuesday night.

A third round tie against last season’s runners-up represents a tough start in the competition for the Under-18s, several of whom have been ‘playing up’ in City’s successful Development Squad this term.

And with Under-21 fixtures taking place in main stadiums during the first half of the campaign, Jon hopes players like Michael Cain, Joe Dodoo and Harry Panayiotou will know what to expect when they step out at Ewood Park.

“Under the lights at a big stadium, at the home of a big club, the game will present a different challenge to the boys,” said Jon.

“But several of our players will have experienced playing in main stadiums as a result of their involvement with the Under-21 squad. We’re looking forward to the game.

“In travelling up early and preparing for the game in a hotel, our pre-match preparations will largely mirror those of the senior team for an away game, giving the young players a taste of what to expect should they progress into the professional ranks.”

Perhaps the most prestigious youth competition in English football, the FA Youth Cup has provided a platform for some of the country’s elite young talent to emerge.

On a national level, the likes of George Best, David Beckham and Wayne Rooney have all excelled in the competition. Closer to home, emerging City stars like Emile Heskey, Andy King and Jeff Schlupp have all come to the fore.

“Youth Cup games are always very difficult to predict, but what they do offer is an opportunity to see how our young players respond to playing in a knockout competition, in an environment similar to that experienced by the first team,” Jon said.

“There has to be a winner on the night, meaning extra-time and penalties should they be required, and it will be interesting to see how the boys cope with the business end of the game.

“Coming up against last season’s finalists and a strong academy at a big football club, I am sure it will prove a very difficult game, but we are all very much looking forward to the challenge.”

Tuesday night’s game at Ewood Park kicks off at 7pm. Admissions is priced £4 for Adults and £2 for Under-18s.

Won 3 -1 which against last years finalists away from home is a top result

Que loads of bollox about how many of them will make it into the first team - on average 3 - 5% so sure you can do the maths

PS Burnley yuffs beat Man Utd 4-3 at Old Trafford so even the "experts" don't always get it right

I want the club to do well at any level. I'm not comparing them to the first team obviously, but it'd be great to see the you lads play to some decent crowds in the latter stages of the Cup if they got a good run together.

I hope them well. I will only go see them if the first team are not on and its cheap and at home. I doubt they would get a good crowd though to be fair. But they do look promising and I think quite a couple of them could make it into the first team soon. If we was how we was a couple of years ago some of them would be in now I would of thought.

I hope them well. I will only go see them if the first team are not on and its cheap and at home. I doubt they would get a good crowd though to be fair. But they do look promising and I think quite a couple of them could make it into the first team soon. If we was how we was a couple of years ago some of them would be in now I would of thought.

Could someone translate into English please?

Que loads of bollox about how many of them will make it into the first team - on average 3 - 5% so sure you can do the maths

PS Burnley yuffs beat Man Utd 4-3 at Old Trafford so even the "experts" don't always get it right

It's not "loads of bollocks" though is it? I'm not saying we should dismiss any results, but I think at that level results AREN'T that important, it's not competitive, it's the 'development' squad. Playing win at all costs football at youth level will help you in the short-term but do absolutely nothing for you in the long-term.

Obviously if you win as well it's even better, but it's not bollocks at all for me, what's more important? Winning the youth cup or bringing these players through to the first team? Absolute no brainer.

Why don't we just disband our academy & continue to use Manchester United's , Keane & Lingard are no better than some of our own young players , my mrs could play in Manchester United's reserves & look good with all that quality around them , it's sending out the wrong message to our academy lads .

It's not "loads of bollocks" though is it? I'm not saying we should dismiss any results, but I think at that level results AREN'T that important, it's not competitive, it's the 'development' squad. Playing win at all costs football at youth level will help you in the short-term but do absolutely nothing for you in the long-term.

Obviously if you win as well it's even better, but it's not bollocks at all for me, what's more important? Winning the youth cup or bringing these players through to the first team? Absolute no brainer.

They're in good hands attitude-wise with senior managers within the Leicester Academy having lots of experience and expertise. And their style of play/ on field attitude is well established so I don't think there was ever any chance of a "win at all costs" approach.

However, we've not had a great record in the Youth Cup despite our other successes and this is an excellent result in what would have been a challenging situation and one which I am sure would have been achieved against a background of taking the fixture extremely seriously.

In other words winning would have been important. Professional football is about winning and if these lads aren't schooled in the art of being winners they won't even graduate from Academy level let alone make it as full-time professionals.

Winning things like the Academy play-offs, the Under 21 league or the Youth Cup are the targets of their particular level and if winning those things is not important to any single member of the various squads then they'll have no chance of successful careers.

Yes, there is a right way to go about it and certain standards to be set but I've watched enough youth football at Leicester to know the club gets the balance right.

At whatever level of competition for aspiring professionals, there's no reward or joy in coming second in any game, only lessons to be learned in how to do things better.

Archived