Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve Agnew

There's only one Nigel Pearson!

If we start turning in lacklustre performances, stop trying and let teams just stroll through us, I will forgive my team many things, but not trying and giving up the fight is one thing that I won't.

If we slip out of the top 6 and look like we can't challenge at the top.

These would be what would concern me, outplaying Cardiff and holding Hull, the top 2 in the league suggests that we are more than capable of competing at the top, and if we build on this foundation, even if we only build slowly, then I am happy, Wood will hopefully be a great addition, young, proven at this level, shouldn't be intimidated by the size of the club.

I think we need to be patient and re-evaluate at the end of Jan see where we are, we have some winnable games in Jan (well they are all winnable) but as usual no easy games, by the end of Jan we will know our squad and what we need to do, if by the end of March/April time we have dropped out of the top 6 and don't look like getting promoted then maybe it is time to look for a new manager.

I like the signing of Wood too .... think he's exactly what we need. Add to that a tougher centre mid (i used to think DD would be) and a solid CB and that's phase one of squad rebuilding done.

I can't help thinking that the only windows for changing manager are mid jan or end of the season though ..... so it's a big couple of games coming up.

Two spells with our club and Pearson has guided us in the play-off zone in both of his spells, when was the last time we even touched the top six and stayed there for a considerable amount of time, under a different manager, because I can't record anything.

Best manager we have had in terms of success, since O'Neill and Adams. He is a good manager, who is more than capable of getting us promoted, he has brought the right players, got rid of the dead wood very sensibly, and is now stamping his own authority on the team.

He knows what he is doing, and any other manager would probably fook this club up again, and do we want that to happen...of course we don't.

Bring on January, bring on his own foundations, and bring on more successful football under King Nigel.

We actually went top which is very commendable and I was delighted with the way we did it even with the hiccups of the first few games. But did we even threaten to dig in there? No.

We went all cautious. Everytime we got a lead we went back to our sitting on it. Times Pearson hinted at getting "something out of the game" in away matches and keeping things tight early on before trying to get something on the counter.

Result? So often it didn't work that way at all. We conceded opening goals because of our negativity and had to play catch up and even then we were only half-hearted much of the time.

Think back to Watford, Leeds, Millwall and Cardiff just as examples. The change in our fortunes wasn't down to some magic formula opposition teams discovered. It was down to us not taking the initiative and putting pressure on our opponents from the off. Sometimes we only seem to wake up when we're a goal down and it's cost us no end of points.

Real winners can't wait to go top and then to break oppnents' hearts with their single-mindedness. Instead we get people being ecstatic over a 0-0 draw at Hull. i couldn't believe my ears.

I don't know if we've got Pearson's staff, players, relatives and friends on here and i'm not calling for his departure because that would just as daft as some of our tactics.

But don't anyone try to kid me that Pearson's some sort of managerial magician cos he's not. He's got some qualities and in some ways he's made some progress. But in others he seems to have gone backwards again.

We're not attacking with the same verve, we're not passing with the same accuracy, we're letting other teams dictate terms and we've got players who are not performing to the best of their known ability - quite apart from the technical things I've mentioned stacks of times which hinder our chances of scoring.

The half-term report reads "could do better" in large letters because we've fallen off the pace rapidly in the last month or so.

The new striker should help, without a doubt, but only if we use him properly and get the rest of the team to gel like it did earlier in the campaign.

But it's no use us following the gormless policy of trying to win at home and draw away - because we don't. We lost away at Millwall, drew away at Hull and lost at home to Cardiff - and that's only the last three games. And so it's almost always been. We need to set out to win by shopwing some urgency and sustaining it throughout.

Yes it's hard work but nothing like as hard as for opponents who haven't got the ball.

We have attacking potential in abundance so why not play to our strengths and set out to win every game, home and away, against so called good teams and bad?

Cos I've seen nothing special in this League. No-one we should be fearful of except perhaps Crystal Palace for whom Zaha was a class above and we'll struggle to stop them scoring so we might still just as well attack them too.

It was collecting three points home and away that accelerated us rapidly up the league not points from goalless draws at Hull and goalless performances against Millwall and Cardiff. "Who Dares Wins" is proclaimed in folklore but we don't even need to be second best on many occasions, we wilfully concede it at times.

We actually went top which is very commendable and I was delighted with the way we did it even with the hiccups of the first few games. But did we even threaten to dig in there? No.

We went all cautious. Everytime we got a lead we went back to our sitting on it. Times Pearson hinted at getting "something out of the game" in away matches and keeping things tight early on before trying to get something on the counter.

Result? So often it didn't work that way at all. We conceded opening goals because of our negativity and had to play catch up and even then we were only half-hearted much of the time.

Think back to Watford, Leeds, Millwall and Cardiff just as examples. The change in our fortunes wasn't down to some magic formula opposition teams discovered. It was down to us not taking the initiative and putting pressure on our opponents from the off. Sometimes we only seem to wake up when we're a goal down and it's cost us no end of points.

Real winners can't wait to go top and then to break oppnents' hearts with their single-mindedness. Instead we get people being ecstatic over a 0-0 draw at Hull. i couldn't believe my ears.

I don't know if we've got Pearson's staff, players, relatives and friends on here and i'm not calling for his departure because that would just as daft as some of our tactics.

But don't anyone try to kid me that Pearson's some sort of managerial magician cos he's not. He's got some qualities and in some ways he's made some progress. But in others he seems to have gone backwards again.

We're not attacking with the same verve, we're not passing with the same accuracy, we're letting other teams dictate terms and we've got players who are not performing to the best of their known ability - quite apart from the technical things I've mentioned stacks of times which hinder our chances of scoring.

The half-term report reads "could do better" in large letters because we've fallen off the pace rapidly in the last month or so.

The new striker should help, without a doubt, but only if we use him properly and get the rest of the team to gel like it did earlier in the campaign.

But it's no use us following the gormless policy of trying to win at home and draw away - because we don't. We lost away at Millwall, drew away at Hull and lost at home to Cardiff - and that's only the last three games. And so it's almost always been. We need to set out to win by shopwing some urgency and sustaining it throughout.

Yes it's hard work but nothing like as hard as for opponents who haven't got the ball.

We have attacking potential in abundance so why not play to our strengths and set out to win every game, home and away, against so called good teams and bad?

Cos I've seen nothing special in this League. No-one we should be fearful of except perhaps Crystal Palace for whom Zaha was a class above and we'll struggle to stop them scoring so we might still just as well attack them too.

It was collecting three points home and away that accelerated us rapidly up the league not points from goalless draws at Hull and goalless performances against Millwall and Cardiff. "Who Dares Wins" is proclaimed in folklore but we don't even need to be second best on many occasions, we wilfully concede it at times.

is that the same Cardiff game we were literally all over them for the first 20 minutes?

That I personally absolutely agree with.

However, does it reflect modern day football?

Recent events would indicate perhaps not.

I for one am massively fed up with this quick fix mentality across most sections of society, let alone football. But it's here to stay or so it would seem. Just my own little thought but I wonder whether Sir Alex may finally be losing something.

And yet you were singing the praises of Jack Walker buying the premiership yesterday!!! Amazing.

is that the same Cardiff game we were literally all over them for the first 20 minutes?

Is it still a 90 minute game???

And yet you were singing the praises of Jack Walker buying the premiership yesterday!!! Amazing.

Is it still a 90 minute game???

Why are you banging on about this?

Do you know how long Jack Walker was kicking about at Blackburn, slowly trickling money into the club at the same time as his business was developing. In no way can Walker's achievements be deemed a 'quick fix'.

You make some good posts, don't spoil them with stuff you've not even thought about.

Likening the achievements of Walker at Blackburn or the geezer at Wolves to modern day overseas investors is daft.

Try a bit harder...

:thumbup:

After all that, where would you rather be 5th or 12th the position we were in this time last season?

Yes we haven't been playing that well of late, but we have had difficult games, if someone said we would draw against Hull and gained a point, I would of took it. A point away to Hull especially with them being in good form, and keeping a clean sheet in the process to me is a good thing.

Millwall is a difficult place to go, and many Leicester fans predicted a loss, Cardiff was a downer and we could of easily won that game, but going by the Millwall and Hull results they don't concern me.

We are capable of beating Burnley, we have a good record against them, then January is a massive month, we will have new signings as the month goes on, and if we kick start the month by beating some of the lower sides in the division like Huddersfield and Bristol City hopefully it will give us confidence, when we play Middlesbrough at home and Cardiff away two massive games.

Do you know how long Jack Walker was kicking about at Blackburn, slowly trickling money into the club at the same time as his business was developing. In no way can Walker's achievements be deemed a 'quick fix'.

You make some good posts, don't spoil them with stuff you've not even thought about.

Likening the achievements of Walker at Blackburn or the geezer at Wolves to modern day overseas investors is daft.

Try a bit harder...

Not banging on about it ..... I posted mentioning that he was partly to blame for the quick fix mentality you so hate..... you thought that was ridiculous.

The answer to your question is 5 years of investing in BRFC before taking over as chairman and spending £25m in 3 seasons on transfers. doesn't sound much now - but when you pick up a record busting Shearer for £3.3m it puts it into perspective. I reckon in today's money that would equate to £33m and £250M.

So it's not such a daft post - It just doesn't agree with your view that JW didn't change the face of football finances for the worse.

Try a bit harder...

Slowly trickling isn't really true in he's first 3 years in full control he spent £25 million on new players, breaking the British record twice, when you consider around 3 million mark was the a british record that not a trickle!

Agree thou he can't be compared to oversea investors as he was a true fan and loved his club!

Archived