Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve Agnew

There's only one Nigel Pearson!

No it doesn't! Its merely one opinion.

:frusty:

Lets get some balance:

- Pearson comes across to some people as dour and lacking sufficient 'passion' for the club. Especially to those who have been City fans for decades and who have enjoyed the fight in our teams demonstrated under Brian Little and MON.

- Some people question his tactics and his substitutions..Millwall away being a case in point which was only THIS month.

- Pearson's signings are usually good..but not always. There are plenty of fans who feel Vardy looks like a million pounds not very well spent. The jury is still out on DeLaet and on Zak Whitbread.

- Plenty of fans feel that Danns should still be in the squad. Perhaps not starting games, but on the bench to bring-on when the midfield are beginning to tire. However, it appears that Pearson has basically binned him.

- Pearson has sold players and has loaned players out to lower the wage bill..good! but he's also spent a decent sum of money at this level.

- Some fans find it hard to forgive Pearson for the defensive tactics he utilised against Cardiff in the first leg of the play-offs, under his last tenure. The loss at home effectively ruined our chances of making the final.

- Pearson insists on playing King in a 4-4-2, only changing this up the last time out. Simply read through the last few post-match reports which generally indicate that King HAS 'gone missing' in some of these games.

- we lost against Burton in the Capital One Cup... when we could have progressed further and enjoyed a decent cup run.

Im not saying I agree with all of these points, but they are made by fans/posters who feel that Pearson HAS got limitations as a manager. Rather than labelling anyone critiquing Pearson's management as 'a moron', (which is simple to do and pretty childish in my opinion) why not try to get some balance going on?

Personally, I like Pearson, I have faith in him as a manager and want him to stay. Primarily because I had no great expectations of him delivering success this season anyway. I said he needed TWO seasons to bring promotion to the club.

However, don't be fooled.. if we continue to struggle to look like we are improving on the pitch, Pearson may well be out of a job...

We now need a run of a few victories to get us back on track.

Good post mate and yes there are posters who have those opinions, however, those particular points are predominantly kneejerk reactions to a negative result yet not always about a poor performance. My frustration lies with the impatience and somewhat triumphalist joy at something going awry in a game! I have a positive outlook but believe me, as you and thousands of fans who have followed City for many years know Col, you have to be a realist.We have areas for improvement definitely and it looks like NP is addressing them. As City fans IMO we should be delighted with how the season is progressing and have faith that what NP is doing will bear fruits.Why can't supporting the team be the primary objective and analysis / constructive criticism be just that? Labels such as "Neg Heads" "Pearson Haters" and "Happy Clappers" are thrown around because posters opinions differ which s also quite sad! Banter is great and I love the many hilarious posts intentional or not! My wish for 2013 is for FT posters to embrace stability and patience :mellow:

A load of drivel.

Seeing as I never said anything about Pearson how have you come to the conclusion I am up his ring piece?

If you read what I posted I said "Exactly why would the owners walk away after what they have done since taking over".

So in that sentence where have I licked NP's rear passage?

Oh and I'm not a teenager and haven't been one for 20 years.

Col hits the nail on the head. The saddest thing for me is the belief that getting to the play offs is something to be celebrated. They are a lottery and deliver a one in four chance to get promoted. Nige is OK but he doesn't seem to have the ability to give his teams the final push at this level. He has weakened our squad considerably, spending quite a bit of money in doing so and outside of Wes (his one really consistent signing) our best players are still mainly Sven signings (Nuge, Konch, Schmeics) most of the rest look like average league one/ mid table Championship fodder.

Bound to get shot down but can't help thinking that the writing was on the wall in Feb/March this year when the impetus to take us into the play offs was lost and too many silly results came along.......what really has changed - we are now on a run that is every bit as poor (worse I believe) than the one at the beginning of last season that saw Sven elbowed aside. Still, most fans seem to love him so that may buy him some more time

I wish I had a one in four chance of winning the lottery.

In football terms it is a much bigger gamble you are talking about 100 million pounds if you make it.

Playoffs for me wouldn't be the best situation 2nd place is up for grabs, and if we strengthen the squad which we are by signing Wood and another player or two we can do it. :thumbup:

Col hits the nail on the head. The saddest thing for me is the belief that getting to the play offs is something to be celebrated. They are a lottery and deliver a one in four chance to get promoted. Nige is OK but he doesn't seem to have the ability to give his teams the final push at this level. He has weakened our squad considerably, spending quite a bit of money in doing so and outside of Wes (his one really consistent signing) our best players are still mainly Sven signings (Nuge, Konch, Schmeics) most of the rest look like average league one/ mid table Championship fodder.

Bound to get shot down but can't help thinking that the writing was on the wall in Feb/March this year when the impetus to take us into the play offs was lost and too many silly results came along.......what really has changed - we are now on a run that is every bit as poor (worse I believe) than the one at the beginning of last season that saw Sven elbowed aside. Still, most fans seem to love him so that may buy him some more time

:celebrate: One of thos posts seenitall that makes me smile intentional or not :dunno: hope you've had a good Christmas? and Happy new year too you :chant:

He won't be here next season without promotion - the owners probably won't either.One step forward, two back, the same reason O'Driscol got the boot and so will Pearson. Boring, inconsistent and his team is becoming easier to beat week in week out.

It's only a matter of time.

Seems everyone on here who isn't up Pearson's backside is subjected to nasty comments. We all have an opinion - is that not what this forum is all about?

Plonkers like you and many others seem to think yours is the only one that counts - I'm guessing you must be a teenager.

But that first bit wasn't opinion, it was stated as fact, I think it is very likely that we will end in the play-offs lose in the final and still have NP and this team he is building at the start of next season. The owners have not stated that we must get promoted this season, and it has not been spelled out, like it was to Sven, that promotion is the only option, because they backed Sven with big money.

Also the owners are not going anywhere, unless they sell, which wouldn't make any business sense, not saying they won't.

As for NP being boring, I have seen some of the best football from a Leicester City side in a decade, every match has gone to the wire, or we have won comfortably, I have not been bored once, we are not easy to beat, and we are clearly not getting easier to beat as our last game was a hard fought point.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that Pearson should never have been re-appointed - it showed a lack of ambition given the resources we had. Sven had his faults (and no, I wasn't a massive fan), but he did put the club back in the spotlight for a while and was never really given the chance that Pearson is having now.

Watch this space - if I'm wrong about your Super hero NFP come the end of the season, I'll be the first to apologise.

That is an opinion, and you are entitled to it, but I will never understand why people like you deliberately hide the positives, of which there are many this season, to fit your preconceptions.

There is plenty to be cheerful about, especially considering the last decade, we are on the up improving steadily, and with a young squad capable of improving further with minimum investment, we are playing well in spells, and have absolutely dominated many teams this season. We are not there yet, but we are so close I don't know why anyone would want to throw it all away and start again.

After we won 5 in a row and went 7 unbeaten, were you unhappy? It is the same team and the same management, it has the capacity to put together an unbeaten run, they have proven that already, why is it so hard to believe they will do it again.

I see so many positives at the moment, just look back beyond the last few games (where we won a hard earned point at the form team in the league, dominated the league leaders, fought to the death against a very lucky Barnsley side, hammered Derby, Wednesday and Ipswich...) in fact on this appalling run we are on that has so many people calling for changes we have lost 3 of our last 10!!!!

compare this squad to 12 months ago, it is so much better and cheaper and smaller, and more successful, and that is down to Pearson, so put this inexplicable doubt aside and do as the OP says, and chant his name.

No it doesn't! Its merely one opinion.

:frusty:

Lets get some balance:

- Pearson comes across to some people as dour and lacking sufficient 'passion' for the club. Especially to those who have been City fans for decades and who have enjoyed the fight in our teams demonstrated under Brian Little and MON.

- Some people question his tactics and his substitutions..Millwall away being a case in point which was only THIS month.

- Pearson's signings are usually good..but not always. There are plenty of fans who feel Vardy looks like a million pounds not very well spent. The jury is still out on DeLaet and on Zak Whitbread.

- Plenty of fans feel that Danns should still be in the squad. Perhaps not starting games, but on the bench to bring-on when the midfield are beginning to tire. However, it appears that Pearson has basically binned him.

- Pearson has sold players and has loaned players out to lower the wage bill..good! but he's also spent a decent sum of money at this level.

- Some fans find it hard to forgive Pearson for the defensive tactics he utilised against Cardiff in the first leg of the play-offs, under his last tenure. The loss at home effectively ruined our chances of making the final.

- Pearson insists on playing King in a 4-4-2, only changing this up the last time out. Simply read through the last few post-match reports which generally indicate that King HAS 'gone missing' in some of these games.

- we lost against Burton in the Capital One Cup... when we could have progressed further and enjoyed a decent cup run.

Im not saying I agree with all of these points, but they are made by fans/posters who feel that Pearson HAS got limitations as a manager. Rather than labelling anyone critiquing Pearson's management as 'a moron', (which is simple to do and pretty childish in my opinion) why not try to get some balance going on?

Personally, I like Pearson, I have faith in him as a manager and want him to stay. Primarily because I had no great expectations of him delivering success this season anyway. I said he needed TWO seasons to bring promotion to the club.

However, don't be fooled.. if we continue to struggle to look like we are improving on the pitch, Pearson may well be out of a job...

We now need a run of a few victories to get us back on track.

But some of those points are moronic, whether you believe them or not.

Holding it against him because of two defeats (2 and a half years apart) one of which was in the play-offs? The play-offs which have been well beyond us under every other manager since we were relegated from the Premiership in 2004? That's not a reasonable point. Especially when you consider we had at least 2 stone wall penalties turned down in that play-off game. And that most people don't give a shit about the league cup, if we beat Man Utd in the same competition, the same people who have been apparently scarred by this one defeat I'd forgotten alll about wouldn't even praise him for it if we then lost the next league game.

I tire of the Danns debate because all it is is an easy answer for the cretins who are desperate to throw any criticism at Pearson. There's little reasoning behind it, he wasn't a particularly good player over the course of last season and we are several places higher this one. If he's so great why is he only at struggling Bristol City? Face it, people are just desperate to have a go and so they cook up this crap theory that we would be doing better if Pearson hadn't released a player who most can see is average at this level.

The worst one of the lot is the argument that he's dour and lacks passion for the club. I really don't know what certain people expect, do they want him to run around the pitch and throw his jacket into the crowd every time we score? Lay into all of our players in post match interviews? Send in a video of himself doing his wife with a City shirt on? Dye his hair blue and white? Get the Leicester badge tattooed on his face?

When he showed his anger after the Forest match, was that not passion? He was so full of 'passion' that afternoon that he almost offered Beagrie out for a fight on live TV. And he did the same to the ref during the match. What passion do people exactly want him to show? Hes hardly Gary Megson is he? He gets angry, he gets at his players if they need it, but he's level headed and doesn't like to get carried away, which is good. What's he got to do to win people over, act like that prat Holloway?

You may disagree that these points are moronic. But that is just another opinion.

The thing is, I don't mind people criticising some of his tactics, he's made errors in recent games, his substitutions are often a weakness. Our current run of form wouldn't be good enough if it went on for the rest of the season, but I think we all know it won't. The people who have decided they don't like Pearson are hoping the owners sack him asap because they know their inane ramblings will make them look stupid again when form picks up - just as was the case, ironically, the last time we played Burnley.

People make up crap that they barely believe to support their views of Pearson, which they can't back down about because they haven't the humility to accept they were rash. They will keep coming up with this crap and a few other people latch onto it because they're too stupid to make up their own crap, and eventually it will appear to be a widely held and acceptable point. But that doesn't make it so.

In my opinion.

Anyway, Pearson's not perfect, but I've got faith in him and I know our form will improve. And we will be in the play-offs this season.

The lacking passion view is just odd. He can't show "passion" like players, he can't run around for 90 minutes chasing every lost ball, he doesn't embarrass the club in interviews.

I can see the "dour" complaints but lacking passion is just rubbish.

But some of those points are moronic, whether you believe them or not.

Holding it against him because of two defeats (2 and a half years apart) one of which was in the play-offs? The play-offs which have been well beyond us under every other manager since we were relegated from the Premiership in 2004? That's not a reasonable point. Especially when you consider we had at least 2 stone wall penalties turned down in that play-off game. And that most people don't give a shit about the league cup, if we beat Man Utd in the same competition, the same people who have been apparently scarred by this one defeat I'd forgotten alll about wouldn't even praise him for it if we then lost the next league game.

I tire of the Danns debate because all it is is an easy answer for the cretins who are desperate to throw any criticism at Pearson. There's little reasoning behind it, he wasn't a particularly good player over the course of last season and we are several places higher this one. If he's so great why is he only at struggling Bristol City? Face it, people are just desperate to have a go and so they cook up this crap theory that we would be doing better if Pearson hadn't released a player who most can see is average at this level.

The worst one of the lot is the argument that he's dour and lacks passion for the club. I really don't know what certain people expect, do they want him to run around the pitch and throw his jacket into the crowd every time we score? Lay into all of our players in post match interviews? Send in a video of himself doing his wife with a City shirt on? Dye his hair blue and white? Get the Leicester badge tattooed on his face?

When he showed his anger after the Forest match, was that not passion? He was so full of 'passion' that afternoon that he almost offered Beagrie out for a fight on live TV. And he did the same to the ref during the match. What passion do people exactly want him to show? Hes hardly Gary Megson is he? He gets angry, he gets at his players if they need it, but he's level headed and doesn't like to get carried away, which is good. What's he got to do to win people over, act like that prat Holloway?

You may disagree that these points are moronic. But that is just another opinion.

The thing is, I don't mind people criticising some of his tactics, he's made errors in recent games, his substitutions are often a weakness. Our current run of form wouldn't be good enough if it went on for the rest of the season, but I think we all know it won't. The people who have decided they don't like Pearson are hoping the owners sack him asap because they know their inane ramblings will make them look stupid again when form picks up - just as was the case, ironically, the last time we played Burnley.

People make up crap that they barely believe to support their views of Pearson, which they can't back down about because they haven't the humility to accept they were rash. They will keep coming up with this crap and a few other people latch onto it because they're too stupid to make up their own crap, and eventually it will appear to be a widely held and acceptable point. But that doesn't make it so.

In my opinion.

Anyway, Pearson's not perfect, but I've got faith in him and I know our form will improve. And we will be in the play-offs this season.

Now the pictures of NP mocked up doing these things I would love to see in a thread :P I've stated previously Kitch he is damned if he he does and damned if he doesn't!

Seems everyone on here who isn't up Pearson's backside is subjected to nasty comments. We all have an opinion - is that not what this forum is all about?

Plonkers like you and many others seem to think yours is the only one that counts - I'm guessing you must be a teenager.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that Pearson should never have been re-appointed - it showed a lack of ambition given the resources we had. Sven had his faults (and no, I wasn't a massive fan), but he did put the club back in the spotlight for a while and was never really given the chance that Pearson is having now.

Watch this space - if I'm wrong about your Super hero NFP come the end of the season, I'll be the first to apologise.

It wouldn't be a thread of stupid points without one about Sven eh :thumbup:

Firstly I'd say Pearson wasn't my first choice either, he probably wasn't even my 3rd choice. But that's not really relevant if we're doing well now, is it? It makes no difference whether he was your first or last choice, you can only judge him on what he's actually done.

Us being in the spotlight last season was a nightmare. Being in the spotlight is the last thing I want. It only highlighted our failures and made us look stupid.

Sven wasn't given the chance Pearson is now for a very simple reason: After one year, and after spending twice as much as anyone else in the summer transfer market (as well as what was spent in January) we were in the bottom half. After Pearson had a year in charge (with less money to spend) we were in the play-off places, and we still are. Pearson has earned a longer stay and Sven didn't.

This is painfully obvious and blows any idea that Sven didn't get a fair crack of the whip out of the water. Which is why people like me get furstrated when they have to point these things out time and time again, which is people like you are sometimes labelled morons, by people like me.

The lacking passion view is just odd. He can't show "passion" like players, he can't run around for 90 minutes chasing every lost ball, he doesn't embarrass the club in interviews.

I can see the "dour" complaints but lacking passion is just rubbish.

I actually think he has improved his media skills this season, listening to his post match destructions of Stringer whilst driving home often make me smile and noone IMO should question his passion for the job or our club!

I actually think he has improved his media skills this season, listening to his post match destructions of Stringer whilst driving home often make me smile and noone IMO should question his passion for the job or our club!

His 'destructions' of Stringer are something people have brought up mate. It's the fans club and sometimes we may like a more detailed answer than Pearson gives to Stringer. Plus, Stringer is only doing his job and asks questions that any of us may ask in the same position.

I notice how Nige comes across as more open and receptive when speaking to the 'broader media', such as Sky. Then, he usually puts on a happy face and tends to be very pleasant. I sometimes find Nige's treatment of Stringer almost comes across as bizarre, for want of a better term and makes me wonder whether the pair of them find this almost child-father relationship mutually beneficial? ie. Pearson basically 'tells Stringer off' for even posting his questions to him. It's certainly very different I must say.

Is it just me that finds 2nd place the worst way to get promoted. I know that sounds silly.

Would rather win it or win the play offs.

Having been through both winning the league and winning/losing in the play off finals, I know where you are coming from...

Believe me though, if we finish second everyone will be well chuffed with that, myself included.

:thumbup:

Should never have binned him as we did in the first place, we took about ten steps backwards doing that. Sousa, Sven weren't the style of manager this club needed - stabilty. I struggle to see who or which managers could take his place at the moment. my opinion is he is certainly the best since MON.

Reading some of the comments on here reminds me of when Little took over, McGhee, Adams, even MON wasn't everyone's cup of tea (particularly Garry Parkers - Oooop . . .). Managers when given the time, the support usually swing it round, then bugger off to Villa, Wolves, Celtic . . . Hang on a minute?! Pearson out!

I like him, I like his attitude, he is extremely passionate about this club, but it exudes in different way - he has fire in his belly, is intensly private and I think that irritates some fans who would sooner have someone with the mouth of Holloway, the arrogance of John Gregory (early Villa days) and the tactical knowledge of Ian Dowie . . . Which effectively equates to Martin Allen and we all know where that got us . . .

I loved Pearson as a player and now as a manager, if he were a woman, I would attempt to kiss him/her . . . Although I'd need to be pissed as he/she would probably be a minger or look like that unfunny Miranda woman that appears on the BBC.

Im a massive fan of Pearson and whole heartidly believe he is the one to take us up and if its not this year its because we're just not quite ready yet.

We truly do need stability he is isnt going to spend sven money ridiciously but will do it wisely and given the time i wouldnt be suprised to see a few more gems in knockaert arrive.

Whats the atmosphere like at the games lately? if foxestalk is owt to go by id imagine it to be pretty tense... loosen up, just pause for a second and look at how far we have come...

Stability is key - CMON YOU BLUES!!!

Having been through both winning the league and winning/losing in the play off finals, I know where you are coming from...

Believe me though, if we finish second everyone will be well chuffed with that, myself included.

:thumbup:

Don't get me wrong, i'd be ****ing delighted if we came second. lol

And for the record and based on previous comments I am not a teenager . . . Wish I was, girls are so much more promiscuous now and I'd save a fortune on drugs . . . and I probably would lick Nigel's bottom for a free ticket, would have to be a league game though, I'm not a 'cup game' sort of licker . . .

Meh, so what, if that is the biggest criticism of the man, that it is not much of one, we see in flashes his personality and sense of humour, such as wrestling with Waghorn when he collided with him on the touchline, the players, and others in the game say he is not dour, he is just too guarded and defensive when it comes to the press.

Every decision he makes is under scrutiny, some times he gets it wrong, sometimes he gets it right, we will never know what happened if he brought on Futacs for Lingard against Millwall, he went for a skill and pace rather than a big lump up top, I understand why, but it didn't come off, but would Futacs have made any better difference to 2 centre halves who are very good in the air. NP knows the players better than we do, has scouted the opposition better than we have and has more riding on it, it would have been easier for him to throw on Futacs and play hoof ball, but he thought Lingard might be able to change it and help us control the game better and play it on the floor more, play to our strengths, rather than Millwall's, it didn't work but I applaud him taking that risk.

He's got a decent record with value for money, better than most, but it is not perfect, why on earth would anyone expect it to be when we see every season the best managers at the biggest clubs signing expensive flops.

The Danns debate is old now, I've made my opinions on it clear, we play much better football now than we ever did with Danns in the team, and are more successful, but as usual with the anti-Pearson brigade as soon as NP makes a decision to sell or loan a player out they become the best player at the club, people were actually complaining that we sold Mills, until he was shown to be rubbish for Bolton too.

In terms of net spend, I think it would be fairly low, and regardless if what he has spent, I wouldn't say he paid over the odds for any of them, except maybe Vardy, and all we be able to be sold on and get the majority of that money back, whereas as the likes of Danns, Beckford, Konch and Nugent are coming to the end of their peak years and their re-sale value is low, but their wages are high. He spent money, but he invested it well.

These fans are morons, he made a call, it didn't come off, if he had gone out all guns blazing we could have lost by 2 or 3, it is not the first time a Leicester manager has set his team up defensively against decent opposition in an important game, but I didn't hear anyone complaining when MON set Kaamark to man mark the brilliant Junihnio in 1997.

He doesn't as you've said he changed it up last game, and at Watford, he also started the season with James and Drinkwater in a 442, King fought his way back into the team with some superb performances, and he and drinkwater were in the middle for our unbeaten run, why would you change it? King's form has dipped a bit recently, so he changed it up last game.

He is not as stubborn as people make out, he just shows a bit more faith in his players than the fans do, despite a few bad games, King is still a superb midfielder with the ability to score goals, we are currently short on goals he would be the last person I would drop.

Meh, one game, with our small squad would we really want a cup run distraction at the moment?

What it comes down to is people looking for things to blame Pearson for, he has decisions to make, and he gets more of them right than wrong, hence us being 5th and not 10th like this time last year, but he is going to get some wrong, what I don't understand is the people that fixate in every single decision that you could argue might possibly have been a mistake and use it to slag off a manager that is doing a decent job at the moment, could be better. but it could be a hell of a lot worse and has been.

I just don't understand why he can't make a mistake, why every decision has to be so scrutinised, and if anyone doesn't agree with it, then it is a big mistake by Pearson.

All this nonsense over Danns, so many people convinced he would make a difference, but I can guarantee that if he was recalled from his loan and he did play shit, the same fans would be slagging Pearson off for playing him.

It really feels like with some fans he just can't win, some fans want him to fail, and will praise everyone but him when we win, Shakespeare for example, or the players, and blame everything on him when we lose.

I am with the OP here, sing his name and show him we appreciate him for everything he has done for this club, this time round and last, he has made me proud to be a Leicester fan, something I wasn't when he first took over.

**** me Cap'n.

Can't be arsed reading all that! lol

Haha, sorry, had the girlfriend on the phone, got carried her whilst not really listening to her.

Quick summary, yes he makes mistakes, but he gets more right than wrong and we should give him credit for his good decisions and not just continually pick up on every perceived mistake, we can all say what we would have done in hindsight, but Nigel has to make those decisions there and then.

Not every manager gets 100% of his decisions correct, so why do we expect Nigel to.

Finally we should all show our appreciation and sing his name as he has done a hell of lot for this club, probably more than anyone else in the last decade.

His 'destructions' of Stringer are something people have brought up mate. It's the fans club and sometimes we may like a more detailed answer than Pearson gives to Stringer. Plus, Stringer is only doing his job and asks questions that any of us may ask in the same position.

I notice how Nige comes across as more open and receptive when speaking to the 'broader media', such as Sky. Then, he usually puts on a happy face and tends to be very pleasant. I sometimes find Nige's treatment of Stringer almost comes across as bizarre, for want of a better term and makes me wonder whether the pair of them find this almost child-father relationship mutually beneficial? ie. Pearson basically 'tells Stringer off' for even posting his questions to him. It's certainly very different I must say.

Yeah, however Stringer does tend to over sensationalise and ask some real cr ap questions imo mate You only have to listen to his commentary and the tripe he talks about what people are wearing in the crowd or the pointless drivel/in jokes between him and Youngiy and their drive up to realise his deficiencies and understand why he may be a source of irritation to NP?

Archived