Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Huntsman

Huntsman, Narborough Road

I used to go in there before games, but since having kids and taking them to the games I been using other pubs, if you did something on match days for kids then it will attract more punters

Sadly the doing something for the kids bit is like a double edged sword-my kids have grown up and gone and i really don't want to drink in a pub where other peoples kids are running around. I will give it a try though just in case the kids are encouraged to behave!

Sorry it was nothing personal and the place is what would be my local pub but the place has been the same for many years now attracting the same "clientèle". The thing you have to remember is there are dozens of bars down Narb Rd/Brauny Gate and the Huntsman is one of those pubs people now just stay away from, much like the Terrace/F Bar or Merry Monarch . If I want either a fight,to mingle with the edl or to buy a gram or two of Charlie then I will pop in.

If you are to turn its fortunes around then you need to be in it for the long haul, try sourcing real ale and get a good selection going and that would attract a new and increasing customer base.

The Crows Nest on Glenfield Road is a good example of a local boozer gaining a better reputation than one it once had.

Being brought up on Narborough road, and as a kid, nor me my mates or the elder generation would dare to go in there. 10 years ago, we did and a mate of mine got bottled.

Unfortunately the pub has a bad rep, I hope the new owners can try and change that, if that happens it's a good location and should do well.

Good luck. As most have said, it has a bad reputation. Never been in myself but I'd give it a go if I was around that way. Match day specials are probably your best bet as you have location on your side. Maybe speak to that cafe with the horrible extension and arrange some link with them. They probably won't go for it as they are foreign tho, :ninja:

Being brought up on Narborough road, and as a kid, nor me my mates or the elder generation would dare to go in there. 10 years ago, we did and a mate of mine got bottled.

Unfortunately the pub has a bad rep, I hope the new owners can try and change that, if that happens it's a good location and should do well.

This

I live near the area as well, but family friends have told me never go in there, always go to the Western. Huntsman has always been known to be a bit shit unfortunately, I'd rather go nextdoor to Iceland and buy drinks from there instead.

Hope you can turn it around though.

lol

Why are so many worried by pubs 'with a reputation'.

I've had some good nights in the Huntsman, when I used to live on Narborough road, especially when they had the karaoke going.

Cheap beer, no airs nor graces and, back then anyway, some Milfs kicking about.

Magic!

Give me a pub like that than a 'family pub' any fookin day of the week.

:thumbup:

lol

Why are so many worried by pubs 'with a reputation'.

I've had some good nights in the Huntsman, when I used to live on Narborough road, especially when they had the karaoke going.

Cheap beer, no airs nor graces and, back then anyway, some Milfs kicking about.

Magic!

Give me a pub like that than a 'family pub' any fookin day of the week.

:thumbup:

There's plenty of alternatives, so why risk having a bad experience, especially where alcohol is involved!! :thumbup:

WHat were the Milfs kicking about.......the punters?????? :P

lol, we are well aware it's had a reputation, hence the "issues" bit in my first post. The music we have on at weekends now is 60s 70s 80s soul and motown rather than the "boom boom" shit that tends to attract trouble. It's queitened the pub down, initially, in that the youngsters intent on trouble will find somewhere else, but it will start building again, with the clientele we want, once people realise that they CAN have a good laugh and an enjoyable night. We've dealt with similar pubs before and the firm but fair approach works, albeit not overnight.

Put it this way, my 2 kids came downstairs to join in Auld Lang Syne last night, and I had no fears that anything was going to kick off otherwise I wouldn't have let them down.

lol, we are well aware it's had a reputation, hence the "issues" bit in my first post. The music we have on at weekends now is 60s 70s 80s soul and motown rather than the "boom boom" shit that tends to attract trouble. It's queitened the pub down, initially, in that the youngsters intent on trouble will find somewhere else, but it will start building again, with the clientele we want, once people realise that they CAN have a good laugh and an enjoyable night. We've dealt with similar pubs before and the firm but fair approach works, albeit not overnight.

Put it this way, my 2 kids came downstairs to join in Auld Lang Syne last night, and I had no fears that anything was going to kick off otherwise I wouldn't have let them down.

Are the Milfs still around, as Col City had mentioned....if so i may pop in sometime! :thumbup: :xmasbiggrin: :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Good on ya mate.

The Huntsman is the usual start venue for mi and mi mates '32 halves' annual beer challenge.

Most probably see you in Feb...

I assume it was you and your mates at `12 noon! I apologise that I was not around to welcome you (op recently, unfortunately )

So, I must apologise, you didn't catch us at our best, and I am sorry that only one of us was able to welcome you! You met my husband who told me "we've got a bunch who do like a pram race"

I hope you found it cleaner than before, and that just for that you will try us again.

Apologies, you did say you had a crawl, and would include us, we did not know the date, so perhaps the fact you found us least prepared of all is best?

Again, sorry I was unable to greet you, surgery is a btch lol, esp when not well..... :( ,, I hope that you will take 1 out of 2 personally serving/greeting you and allow progression?

Possibly better that you caught us unawares, awaiting a Carling delivery, at our worst :) We have many faults, we try to smile through them :) Each week brings another, and if we never smile, then we would be miserable fkkrs :)lol

Tea, coffee, warm fruity drinks available every day, Burgers on again from Tuesday, apologies that I have been unable to cook last cpl home games.

Bovril also on offer. Buggar it, I may as well promote evrything? tea, coffee, bovril, hot choc, £1

Beer. In case you missed it, John Smiths and Carling is £2.10 Mon-Thurs.

THE BURGERS will be back Tues. Sorry for the absence. Kind of hard to cook when in hospital ........

£2.50 each, cooked before you, as before. Plain, with cheese, or with onions, same price, as before.

The Huntsman- back in the day the players used to take a drink or two in there.Good luck .couple of the posts sum it up cheap ale from supermarkets and the development of braunstone gate as a destination.

The big pub on the way out up narb rd used to be decent (Braunstone)now a KFC and there was a cracking little pub near kirby and west where the new college sports place is.

Good days but you did tend to keep to yourself

Archived