Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RizLCFC

Liam Trotter

Generally speaking we have a good defence because we defend from the front as a team, the weakest aspect is our command of our own penalty area.

This is the responsibility of our keeper and center backs and they are not getting it done, we have lost goals (and points) because of this, the evidence is there to be seen, Kasper is not decisive enough and has given goals away by missing or flapping at crosses, Morgan defends his zone and does not take responsibility for Bellamy and we defend poorly from corners.

Sure I am being tough on what is still the best defence in the league and of course individual players do make mistakes, they are human after all, but we have not been torn apart by fine attacking play, we have been undone by our own indecisive play in our own box.

This to me is primarily an organisational issue, hence my suggestion that we need a talker/organiser..... :thumbup:

Should definitely have been King picking up Bellamy for the Cardiff goal, but you still have a point in that Morgan (or Kasper) should have told King to pick him up.

Should definitely have been King picking up Bellamy for the Cardiff goal, but you still have a point in that Morgan (or Kasper) should have told King to pick him up.

I know that this has been the general consensus on here but I can't see why Cardiff's major attacking threat was being left to a central midfielder when our central defenders was marking space on the edge of the six yard box....... :dunno:

Everyone knows that Bellamy is the threat, why was he not being picked up by one of our primary defenders, King may well have been our closest player but both Morgan and Whitbread were marking no one on the six yard line and neither made the attempt to pick up Bellamy.

Edited to add;

That goal was typical of goals we have conceded this season, one error and it's a goal, we simply do not seem organised enough in these situations and rarely have a covering player in the right place. Whether that is poor organisation, slow reactions or a lack of communications is open to debate, though my own views have been made clear.

Everyone knows that Bellamy is the threat, why was he not being picked up by one of our primary defenders, King may well have been our closest player but both Morgan and Whitbread were marking no one on the six yard line and neither made the attempt to pick up Bellamy.

Morgan got dragged out to the player who cut the ball back for Bellamy because Drinkwater didn't track back. Can't see how you can moan at Wes for that?

it's really quite debatable who should have picked up Bellamy and the fat was chewed at the time about whether Morgan had been drawn to the ball, King had shirked responsibility by leaving Bellamy free or whether Knockaert had arrived leaving King free to cover the space behind the front post defenders.

Whatever, it was a mess, there was no organising and, frankly, King was he last person who should have been picking up Bellamy in a shooting position because he's never been a man marker and is not nippy enough to contain a now-you-see-him-now-you-don't striker like Bellamy.

But there seems little doubt King in my mind that shouldered the blame and perhaps it was an easy thing to do given his lacklustre run of performances at that time and the fact that Pearson was never likely to blame Morgan or Knockaert.

And, as so often happens James has taken his chance, the team has been strengthened in attack and we're operating smooth as a Rolls Royce at the moment.

So right now we hardly need a new central midfielder. Confidence is high. Players have something to fight for, they'll all be aware the transfer window's still open and they'll be benefitting from playing in the way we play best.

But one or two bad injuries and it could all change again with a small squad, and it would be a crying shame to lose our confidence and miss out just for the sake of a player or two's insurance.

it's really quite debatable who should have picked up Bellamy and the fat was chewed at the time about whether Morgan had been drawn to the ball, King had shirked responsibility by leaving Bellamy free or whether Knockaert had arrived leaving King free to cover the space behind the front post defenders.

Whatever, it was a mess, there was no organising and, frankly, King was he last person who should have been picking up Bellamy in a shooting position because he's never been a man marker and is not nippy enough to contain a now-you-see-him-now-you-don't striker like Bellamy.

But there seems little doubt King in my mind that shouldered the blame and perhaps it was an easy thing to do given his lacklustre run of performances at that time and the fact that Pearson was never likely to blame Morgan or Knockaert.

And, as so often happens James has taken his chance, the team has been strengthened in attack and we're operating smooth as a Rolls Royce at the moment.

So right now we hardly need a new central midfielder. Confidence is high. Players have something to fight for, they'll all be aware the transfer window's still open and they'll be benefitting from playing in the way we play best.

But one or two bad injuries and it could all change again with a small squad, and it would be a crying shame to lose our confidence and miss out just for the sake of a player or two's insurance.

And if it closes with no new additions? It would be a shame to see us drop back through complacency.

Generally speaking we have a good defence because we defend from the front as a team, the weakest aspect is our command of our own penalty area.

This is the responsibility of our keeper and center backs and they are not getting it done, we have lost goals (and points) because of this, the evidence is there to be seen, Kasper is not decisive enough and has given goals away by missing or flapping at crosses, Morgan defends his zone and does not take responsibility for Bellamy and we defend poorly from corners.

Sure I am being tough on what is still the best defence in the league and of course individual players do make mistakes, they are human after all, but we have not been torn apart by fine attacking play, we have been undone by our own indecisive play in our own box.

This to me is primarily an organisational issue, hence my suggestion that we need a talker/organiser..... :thumbup:

Dave,

Are you saying that we should break up the unbroken?

There is an old saying which says that if it ain't broke - don't try and fix it!

Best defensive record in the division by a country mile, best goal difference in the division, thirteen clean sheets this season, fewest league goals conceded in the division, fewest league goals conceded playing away from home in the league this season, second fewest league goals conceded playing at home in the league this season.

Kasper and Wes Morgan have been ever present all season which is the backbone of the defence with a blend of other defenders playing around them when available and to a system set out by the coaching staff during training so why the big need for "a talker".

Sorry but I don't understand your argument here - you're going to have to "talk" your way out of it.

Anyone on here remember the League Cup Final replay against Middlesboro when MON played Pontus Kaamark to specifically mark Juninho out of the game. Maybe we could suggest that trick to Nigel when needed ???

That tactic was used in both games. In the first at Wembley, the one time that Kaamark slacked from the role, Juninho created havoc and they scored.

This just shows what we all know really. If you have a great defence (like we had then and like we have now), you'll still concede goals.

We can analyse every goal scored against us this season and make whatever point we want to make regarding needing an organiser or someone vocal etc. The fact of the matter is that halfway through the season, we have the best goal difference record, keep shitloads of clean sheets and rarely look troubled at the back. Yes the Bellamy goal was a bad one to concede but you have to look at the overall picture which is excellent.

Even when the likes of Walsh, Taggart, Elliott, Prior, Sinclair etc were shouting the odds in the glory days, we still conceded shit sloppy goals every so often that cost us.

Its football. Its what happens. And i'm not saying we shouldnt be looking for ways to improve but in this case, improving on being the best is pretty difficult.

Blue army.

That tactic was used in both games. In the first at Wembley, the one time that Kaamark slacked from the role, Juninho created havoc and they scored.

This just shows what we all know really. If you have a great defence (like we had then and like we have now), you'll still concede goals.

We can analyse every goal scored against us this season and make whatever point we want to make regarding needing an organiser or someone vocal etc. The fact of the matter is that halfway through the season, we have the best goal difference record, keep shitloads of clean sheets and rarely look troubled at the back. Yes the Bellamy goal was a bad one to concede but you have to look at the overall picture which is excellent.

Even when the likes of Walsh, Taggart, Elliott, Prior, Sinclair etc were shouting the odds in the glory days, we still conceded shit sloppy goals every so often that cost us.

Its football. Its what happens. And i'm not saying we shouldnt be looking for ways to improve but in this case, improving on being the best is pretty difficult.

Blue army.

Amen....

Dave,

Are you saying that we should break up the unbroken?

There is an old saying which says that if it ain't broke - don't try and fix it!

Best defensive record in the division by a country mile, best goal difference in the division, thirteen clean sheets this season, fewest league goals conceded in the division, fewest league goals conceded playing away from home in the league this season, second fewest league goals conceded playing at home in the league this season.

Kasper and Wes Morgan have been ever present all season which is the backbone of the defence with a blend of other defenders playing around them when available and to a system set out by the coaching staff during training so why the big need for "a talker".

Sorry but I don't understand your argument here - you're going to have to "talk" your way out of it.

FFS, not again....... :(

I have no great issue with our defence, our record stands up very well.

I suggested that we acquire a talker/organiser in response to several posts that suggested that we needed an to buy an extra central defender if we were unable to secure Keane for the rest of the season.

In those circumstances and if we were 'going to spend anything like real money' on a central defender I simply suggested the kind of player I thought we should get and explained the reasons for that.

I am not suggesting that we rebuild our defence or anything like that, I am quite happy with the players we have assuming we can hold on to Keane.

It is worth pointing out that Keane's recent good performances came against poor opposition, the lad has yet to be properly tested.

FFS, not again....... :(

I have no great issue with our defence, our record stands up very well.

I suggested that we acquire a talker/organiser in response to several posts that suggested that we needed an to buy an extra central defender if we were unable to secure Keane for the rest of the season.

In those circumstances and if we were 'going to spend anything like real money' on a central defender I simply suggested the kind of player I thought we should get and explained the reasons for that.

I am not suggesting that we rebuild our defence or anything like that, I am quite happy with the players we have assuming we can hold on to Keane.

It is worth pointing out that Keane's recent good performances came against poor opposition, the lad has yet to be properly tested.

I understand.

I certainly take your point about Keane's performances being against poor opposition and tonight's game will be more of a test not just for him but for all of the team.

Perhaps the news that Schlupp is training up at United indicates that there is more of a possibility that Fergie will allow Keane to

stay a while longer.

Let's hope that the status quo can be retained as Morgan/Keane working as the central defending partnership appears to be working well.

I understand.

I certainly take your point about Keane's performances being against poor opposition and tonight's game will be more of a test not just for him but for all of the team.

Perhaps the news that Schlupp is training up at United indicates that there is more of a possibility that Fergie will allow Keane to

stay a while longer.

Let's hope that the status quo can be retained as Morgan/Keane working as the central defending partnership appears to be working well.

I think Morgan and Keane show exceptional promise, Keane's composure on the ball and his ability to come out of defence with the ball at his feet is better than anything we have had in recent years.

Of course his opening games were against weak opposition so we do not yet know just how good he will be at this level, a decent game tonight will help tell us.

Assuming he shapes up and we get him for the rest of the season then that will do for me........ :thumbup:

No idea what the story is with Schlupp though, thought he looked very useful as an attacking full back but since that error against Leeds he has largely disappeared....... :dunno:

I think this thread should be locked and thrown away.

He isn't coming, he never was.

No word for over 2 weeks.

Or he was coming, and a deal was progressing as reported until about 2 weeks ago, when Matt James started putting in star performances...

Or he was coming, and a deal was progressing as reported until about 2 weeks ago, when Matt James started putting in star performances...

?

Archived