Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mikey54

Chris Garland - what an impact

Delighted to see that Woody has made such an impact, but how many of you remember a striker called Chris Garland?

He signed from Chelsea back in The mid 1970s for £100k (?) - who had ironically signed him from Brizzle City.

I seem to remember that we were facing relegation at the time, but he scored something like 10 goals in 6 or 7 games to help us avoid the drop.

Different scenario - but similar impact

Speaking to The Birch last night in The Woodies by coincidence with this thread he said he was going to see Chris Garland today and would not be attending the game.

He also said that Chris was not in a good state of health due to Parkinsons which was sad to hear

7 goals in his first 8 games including a hat trick in a 3 - 2 win against Wolves at the end of 74/75 season and did help us to avoid relegation we avoided it by 3 points in the end. I kept records of all the games back then (saddo) At the start of February we were bottom with 18 pts 4 pts adrift (2 pts for a win) and we hadn´t won for 3 months! Then we went on a run of 17pts from 22. In my end of season summary i described Garland as the most skillful, devastating and graceful player I had seen. Last home game that season was v Derby with a crowd of 38 943!! Happy Days!!

A little story about Chris Garland.

As has been said, when he first came here, he made an instant impact, and was the talk of the City.

It was one day, at that time, when my brother and his mate were down the training ground, collecting players autographs, when some media from either itv in the Midlands or BBC in the Midlands, came to the training ground, to do an interview with Garland, for the local sport section, in that evenings Midlands News programme.

Well, as they were setting up to do the interview, my brother and his mate were positioned behind Garland, so as to get on the television, when the interviewer told them to buzz off out of the picture, in words a little stronger than that.

Chris Garland though, turned around to the interviewer and told them he would not do the interview, unless my brother and his mate were allowed to stand behind him.

Needless to say the interviewer relented, and that nights sports section featured an interview with Chris Garland, accompanied with my brother and his mate.

Never forgotten that, what a top bloke!

A little story about Chris Garland.

As has been said, when he first came here, he made an instant impact, and was the talk of the City.

It was one day, at that time, when my brother and his mate were down the training ground, collecting players autographs, when some media from either itv in the Midlands or BBC in the Midlands, came to the training ground, to do an interview with Garland, for the local sport section, in that evenings Midlands News programme.

Well, as they were setting up to do the interview, my brother and his mate were positioned behind Garland, so as to get on the television, when the interviewer told them to buzz off out of the picture, in words a little stronger than that.

Chris Garland though, turned around to the interviewer and told them he would not do the interview, unless my brother and his mate were allowed to stand behind him.

Needless to say the interviewer relented, and that nights sports section featured an interview with Chris Garland, accompanied with my brother and his mate.

Never forgotten that, what a top bloke!

:D:appl:

Archived