Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bettsj2

Boro Player Ratings

Wood hit the post once, did a good cross for Keane when he hit the bar, and a few nice lay offs to supporting players.

However apart from that I think he struggled, he struggled to get into the game and nothing much paid off for him, he didn't hold the ball up as well as he did in his first three games, and Bikey did very well against him.

i honestly don't think he struggled. Held the ball up and waited for runners, linked up nicely with Nuge, crossed it in for Keane after it looked like the chance had gone. Good all round performance imo

He spent most of the game in Andre Bikey's back pocket I'm afraid.

Don't agree with this at all. Considering that's his hardest opponent to date with us (and one of the hardest he'll face in this league), his flick-ons and all round play were very easy on the eye. Could have easily had a great assist with Keane's header that hit the crossbar after some very skilful play. Did fantastically to get a shot off when getting closed down quickly in the first half (producing a fine save from Steele). Linked up with Nugent excellently, as well as holding up the ball on numerous occasions. And then finally provided a fantastic assist which decided the game.

I'm not just bigging him up because he's had a fantastic 3 games prior; he was a real asset last night and showed more glimpses of premier league quality.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion he was in Bikey's back pocket, as he clearly wasn't.

At the game last night, me and my mates commented on Wood being bullied by Bikey at times - I though he had a decent game but I can completely see where Leicester Lass is coming from. There were occasions where he was shoved off the ball with minimal fuss.

I agree, Bikey did have a good game, but I'd argue that back pocketing someone implies nullifying them for the entirety of the match. I don't think he did that at all (which only goes to show how good Wood is. If he can make that sort of impact against one of the best championship CBs playing well, he's only going to succeed).

Edit: Although to be fair to Leicester Lass, she did say 'most of the game'

I agree, Bikey did have a good game, but I'd argue that back pocketing someone implies nullifying them for the entirety of the match. I don't think he did that at all (which only goes to show how good Wood is. If he can make that sort of impact against one of the best championship CBs playing one, he's only going to do succeed).

Agreed Wood created a goal and hit the post, if Marshall hadn't shot and crossed the ball in he would have had a great chance to score as well. Such good movement in and around the box.

He spent most of the game in Andre Bikey's back pocket I'm afraid.

You're not giving consideration to how Wood was hampered by the conditions when trying to get the ball under control. No such problems for Bikey, who didn't need control of the ball to do his job; he only had to lump the ball clear.

As others have said, just because Bikey managed to nullify some of Wood's threat doesn't mean he had him in his back pocket. Wood gave him trouble all game and got the better of him several times. Cucially, he set up Nuge's goal, and as that won us the game then I would say that Wood won the battle (result of Bikey's contribution = 0 points).

Schmeichel 9 - great penalty save and great save from point blank header

De Laet - not one of his better games. Seemed to lack usual enthusiasm at getting forward

Morgan 8 - strong presence and played very well BUT IMO as captain he is reponsible for shouting at/organising team to not sit so far back and invite Boro on at the end which ultimately cost us a penalty

Keane 6 - ok ish. Didn't win much in the air though and a brain dead handball. Great second half ball to Marshall

Konchesky 6 - some good link ups, other times got wrong side of attacker and ended up fouling (wasn't a yellow card IMO)

Drinkwater 6 - didn't know he was on the field till the second half

James 6 - he and DD not busy enough in midfield which resulted in Boro dominating

Knockaert 7 - excellent when running at opponents but hopeless when receiving with back to goal. Great first half shot unlucky not to score.

Nugent 9 - great goal and some bad luck, but too greedy a few times early on when Wood in much better position to score

Wood 7 - looked off the pace but some good link play and offers defence more to aim at. Unlucky with header against post

Dyer 5 - looked fast and threatening but final ball poor

King 5 - not on long enough to make a difference

Vardy 4 - Williams left his trailing leg to touch Vardy for penalty. Felt sorry for him having to defend in our own box when defence shouldn't have been sitting so far back IMO

Kasper - 9 - What a save! Love him

RDL - 7 - Not too bad.

Morgan - 9 (MOTM) - Unbelievable. Our best player for a long while.

Keane - 8 - Played well

Konch - 8 - Not deserving of some of the slating, ball to De Laet in the build up to goal was unreal, looked good

Marshall - 7 - Looked good at times, average at others

James - 6 - Average

Drinkwater - 7 - Steady

Knockaert - 6 - Poor except from a couple of flashes of brilliance, should've played in Wood.

Nugent - 9 - Superb winner, toiled all night, excellent link up with Woody, always looked a goal threat

Wood - 8.5 - Amazing touch and build up play, superb assist, unlucky not to score

Dyer - 7 - Looked threatening sometimes, awful others

King - 7 - Brought the ball out on the counter well

Vardy - 5 - Rash challenge (was a penalty), weak weak shot which Nugent would've done far better with

Archived