Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

A lack of strength in depth?

These players have been good enough all season, tonight was just down to a lot of our players who do start week in week out being well off the pace. I doubt many will play worse this season.

I don't understand your point. Wellens and Futacs have played twice each. They aren't good enough and have looked awful both times. Therefore beyond the first 13/14 players our squad isn't strong enough.

It is such an obvious point i'm surprised it even warrants saying.

Trouble was tonight no Marshall,DD.Wood,Schlupp,King. Five serious footballers not involved.

Not to mention moore and ssl who are capable of better than that

We had 8 starting that started when we beat them 6-1, they had 4 starting who started on the same day. It wasn't just us missing these player, difference was they looked like they wanted to win

I don't think we need squad players. You're all being far too loyal ! I fear we need possibly two first-choice starters. Couldn't really get worked up about losing tonight. What I am more worried about (and yes, know we were all over the place with, ((correctly in my opinion)), giving people much needed game-time), is that we look very weary and have been playing some very ordinary football in recent weeks. Even during the latter part of the winning streak, we were not convincing in the way we have been earlier on the season. Teams are working us out, I fear, and we may well need someone else to come in and give it a breath of fresh air.

Teams are working us out... People said the same before after a few bad results. We then won 5 on the trot and went 2nd.

We're a decent team, we've had two crap games people are over reacting massively (shock horror).

The likes of Gallagher and Waghorn may not be world beaters, but they're comfortably good enough to be bit-part players in a team chasing promotion from this division based on past performances.

The problem is that a lot of players are out of form.

A team containing Waghorn, King, Dyer, Whitbread and Schlupp with Vardy and Futacs coming on as sub best Ipswich 6-0!! We didn't just fluke that.

Then a week later, a team consisting of the same players lost 1-0 to Leeds.

There is one thing I will criticise the great Nigel for ......

The best run we had this year coincided with Schlupp at left back ..... we are a championship side and the manager has dropped him ..... and yet the premier league's most successful side have extended his loan as they are clearly impressed with him.

WTF???

There is one thing I will criticise the great Nigel for ......

The best run we had this year coincided with Schlupp at left back ..... we are a championship side and the manager has dropped him ..... and yet the premier league's most successful side have extended his loan as they are clearly impressed with him.

WTF???

The best run we had this year?

Teams are working us out... People said the same before after a few bad results. We then won 5 on the trot and went 2nd.

We're a decent team, we've had two crap games people are over reacting massively (shock horror).

No over-reaction here, Babs. But that winning streak includes Middlesbrorororo and Wolves. Do you think we were sparkling or convincing in those games ? We are, indeed, a very decent team. Clearly. But we are surrounded by equally decent teams at the top all fighting for the crumbs from Cardiff's table. Only one will get the ulimate prize of second place. Not just because of tonight, (where our interest has to be questioned), but our general and recent play, I'm not feeling hugely optimistic right now that we have enough in the tank to be the 'one'. It might help having an injection of fresh legs and quality into the starting 11. That's hardly a startling observation ? More startling, perhaps, is that there are some that steadfastly think we should plough on with what we've got, regardless.

No over-reaction here, Babs. But that winning streak includes Middlesbrorororo and Wolves. Do you think we were sparkling or convincing in those games ? We are, indeed, a very decent team. Clearly. But we are surrounded by equally decent teams at the top all fighting for the crumbs from Cardiff's table. Only one will get the ulimate prize of second place. Not just because of tonight, (where our interest has to be questioned), but our general and recent play, I'm not feeling hugely optimistic right now that we have enough in the tank to be the 'one'. It might help having an injection of fresh legs and quality into the starting 11. That's hardly a startling observation ? More startling, perhaps, is that there are some that steadfastly think we should plough on with what we've got, regardless.

Middlesbrough where we had god knows how many chances, two disallowed and three against the post. We were fine in that game a d clearly deserved it.

Middlesbrough where we had god knows how many chances, two disallowed and three against the post. We were fine in that game a d clearly deserved it.

This feels like it's becoming about proving a point - and it's not. Just an opinion. We made some good chances agianst Boro, undoubtedly. But using disallowed goals is a bit questionable. Disallowed goals are usually disallowed for a very good reason ! In patches we showed what we both agree on - that we are a very decent team. But there were huge swathes of that match when we were made to look very ordinary. As we have by several teams recently. I don't expect us to dominate everyone all of the time. But I do think a little more quality in the starting 11 might help us squeeze out a few more points than we look like getting right now. Not quite sure which part of that you're pushing back at ? As I stated, I just have a nagging fear we might be running out of steam a fraction.

This feels like it's becoming about proving a point - and it's not. Just an opinion. We made some good chances agianst Boro, undoubtedly. But using disallowed goals is a bit questionable. Disallowed goals are usually disallowed for a very good reason ! In patches we showed what we both agree on - that we are a very decent team. But there were huge swathes of that match when we were made to look very ordinary. As we have by several teams recently. I don't expect us to dominate everyone all of the time. But I do think a little more quality in the starting 11 might help us squeeze out a few more points than we look like getting right now. Not quite sure which part of that you're pushing back at ? As I stated, I just have a nagging fear we might be running out of steam a fraction.

Saying people are working us out is an overreaction. We're 3rd and were 2nd before Hull played another game. We've had ups and downs in form all season, the last two are results are nothing new. But we are where we are because the other teams have also been like that.

Of course better players coming in could help if we have the money.

There is 2 possible scenarios as to why IMO.

1)

NP is actually foolish enough to believe we have enough strength all over the park.

2)

The Thai's have refused/ cannot afford to give NP more cash as.....

a) They need to get beckford/danns etc of the wage budget first.

b) FFP, and we need to keep the books balanced

Saying people are working us out is an overreaction. We're 3rd and were 2nd before Hull played another game. We've had ups and downs in form all season, the last two are results are nothing new. But we are where we are because the other teams have also been like that.

Of course better players coming in could help if we have the money.

"Teams are working us out, I fear" is hardly an over-reaction. A pessimistic exp<b></b>ression of concern, perhaps. Not borne out of one match, but a pattern. Personally, I think teams are playing us significantly better than they were at the beginning of the season. It's impossible to draw any conclusions from an unusual match like tonight, where none of us can really be sure how motivated anyone was, but the Udders stifled us well. In my opinion, they aren't the first in recent games and that's something we need to figure out a strategy to deal with. If NP won't change the formation, (let's not go there), then we need to introduce different personnel. Alternatively, stick with the same players AND shape. Personally, that doesn't make me feel as confident as it did a while back. All of which means we'll now go and stick six past Charlton !!

"Teams are working us out, I fear" is hardly an over-reaction. A pessimistic exp<b></b>ression of concern, perhaps. Not borne out of one match, but a pattern. Personally, I think teams are playing us significantly better than they were at the beginning of the season. It's impossible to draw any conclusions from an unusual match like tonight, where none of us can really be sure how motivated anyone was, but the Udders stifled us well. In my opinion, they aren't the first in recent games and that's something we need to figure out a strategy to deal with. If NP won't change the formation, (let's not go there), then we need to introduce different personnel. Alternatively, stick with the same players AND shape. Personally, that doesn't make me feel as confident as it did a while back. All of which means we'll now go and stick six past Rovers !!

Really? Because Wolves beat us earlier on the season and we struggled to a win against Boro.

There is no patten, we've been through patches of form before so yes it is an over reaction to a patchy Wolves win and losing to Peterborough.

No one in this league is going to have strength in depth.

If you are a high quality footballer you are not going to be happy with sitting on the bench in the Championship every week waiting for an injury, as for loans, if you do that with them from Premiership sides they will just call them back.

Vardy, Waghorn, Dyer, St ledger etc etc if pretty much as good as you are going to get as 'back up' players.

No one in this league is going to have strength in depth.

If you are a high quality footballer you are not going to happen with sitting on the bench in the Championship every week waiting for an injury, as for loans, if you do that with them from Premiership sides they will just call them back.

Vardy, Waghorn, Dyer, St ledger etc etc if pretty much as good as you are going to get as 'back up' players.

I think this is unfortunately pretty much true.

What does concern me is that we don't really have that many options in the middle of the pitch. Sides that pitch up with a certain amount of physicality easily seem to bully us for long spells of games. Obviously playing two wide men doen't help but I think we lack a real ball winner in midfield. Sometimes you need to play a more physical game than we are capable of and I would like to see this addressed. Apart from that a decent winger who can cross would be good.

Got the best starting eleven in the league IMO and after that were below average I like Pearson but you've got to question him on why he didnt strengthen more in the window. It's going to cost us automatic promotion!

Because he has a budget?

Archived