Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

A lack of strength in depth?

I made the point at the start of the season that I wasn't sure we had enough quality in the squad.

The first team is pretty good and Chris Wood appears to have been one of the signings we needed.

However, the cup games have shown that when we rely upon the likes of Gally, Wellens and Futacs, we struggle.

We are now third... So Pearson has done excellently in the league... But I remain concerned that we don't have enough strength in depth to gain automatic promotion.

Do we need to strengthen in the loan window? Or do people still believe we have enough good players to gain top two.

This isn't knee-jerk after tonight's result, it's a genuine question.

Personally, I still feel we need another midfielder and I don't believe the 'reserve strikers' are good enough.

Opinions please...

I made the point at the start of the season that I wasn't sure we had enough quality in the squad.

The first team is pretty good and Chris Wood appears to have been one of the signings we needed.

However, the cup games have shown that when we rely upon the likes of Gally, Wellens and Futacs, we struggle.

We are now third... So Pearson has done excellently in the league... But I remain concerned that we don't have enough strength in depth to gain automatic promotion.

Do we need to strengthen in the loan window? Or do people still believe we have enough good players to gain top two.

This isn't knee-jerk after tonight's result, it's a genuine question.

Personally, I still feel we need another midfielder and I don't believe the 'reserve strikers' are good enough.

Opinions please...

Obviously not knee-jerk as you've been saying this for a while. But, I wouldn't wholeheartedly agree that we lack a complete strength in depth. At Left Back we will struggle if Konch is injured (only Schlupp as back up who isn't even a full LB) I do think we need another option at CM (NOT WELLENS) and that, while our strikers aren't that clinical, it is difficult to have more than two strikers in a team who score goals while keeping them happy. I would like to see one or two loans to freshen up the squad though (CM and either LB or striker) since I just think some complacency is sneaking in again and we need a bit more competition/options to come on.

Thoughts?

GK - Kasper is good enough

Defence - Solid back 4, and SSL, Moore & Whitbread are good enough replacements.

Midfield - Unless we get a couple of injuries we are fine here. Maybe 1 more to strengthen wouldn't hurt.

Strikers - This is where we are weak. Nuge and Wood are great. Everybody else isn't good enough.

I think n p would be foolish not to get in a couple of decent loans for the final push. Tonight for me has confirmed that we have a small squad, that barring the starting 11 is lacking in quality. If we rely on vardy and waghorn for goals, if nugent or as wood is, get injured, were will the goals come . Some of those playing tonight have been on our bench in recent weeks, I can't see a impact sub/ game changer, just average championship subs.

Waghorn, Vardy and Futacs should be good enough cover. Remember a manager's job isn't just to buy good players and sell the ones that arn't doing so well. I want to see Nige bring some of these guys in to some form not just look for quick fixes all the time by replacing them.

It's been like that all season as you know Col, at one point like I've mentioned so many times before, at one stage we only had 20-21 players on our books, but only had 19 fit/available players, as St Ledger was injured and Wellens wasn't getting in the team, so there was no point counting him.

These fringe players have been given a chance in the cup this season, League Cup they were woeful and got knocked out by Burton, past two cup games against Huddersfield they haven't been great, especially tonight when the whole team was awful. A friend of mine went to a Under 21 game earlier in the season, and Wellens played in that, and my friend said he was the worst player on the pitch in that game, the youngsters were much better than him.

We lack depth, and our substitute players are not good enough. Wellens, Gallagher, Futacs, Vardy these four are simply not good enough, these four have either done nothing all season when given the chance, or in Vardy's case started well but gradually got worse and worse.

Loan signings are needed, as we can't keep relying on this back-up, playing this back-up does us no favours, they make our team worse, and make us look very very average, or just plain and utter shit.

We can't rely on three central midfielders, King is going back to his hit and miss self, while Wellens is awful. Wingers, Gallagher is past his sell by date, Marshall and Dyer are also hit and miss, we need some younger fresh legs in a position like that, while up front, Nugent and Wood partnership is key, it's our back-up which is terrible, Waghorn can be ok from time to time, but it's Vardy and Futacs who are utter bollocks, people were calling for Futacs to start tonight, he did and let us down, Vardy has done nothing for months, and isn't good enough for the Championship.

Loan out Wellens, Gallagher, Vardy and Futacs.

And get in three loan signings.

The squads fine, injuries to a central midfielder, left back, goalkeeper or to another striker would probably require loan signings, but we don't want to go too far the other way either and end up with the same problems that we had last year. If we can get Waghorn playing to the level he did before he had his appendix out then we've got a good enough third choice striker. Bulking up the squad because we're worried about injuries isn't the way to go about doing things, it failed last year and I doubt it would work this year myself.

Waghorn has always been shit after we signed him on a permanent lets not kid ourselves.

Wellens legs have gone

Gallagher well the less said about him the better

Futacs likewise

Vardy looks totally bereft on confidence or quality.

I am glad when we have our first choice 11 that these players don't get a look in!

If I was in NP's position and the money was their then I would bring in a loan player or two to help us along in our promotion push.

We have no proven back-up/competition at Left back

No fit back up/competition at centre half (who knows how long until SSL and Whit get FIT or injured again?)

1 competing for centre mid

1 competing for wings

No proven scorer/competition upfront, none of the three back up strikers have done well at ANY point this season

I think it's more of a case of needing competition than players who just make up squad numbers as we saw today

What you need to ask yourself is who is realistically both better than what we have and would come? I'm struggling.

NP plays 442 irrespective. He should be adjusting the team to suit. When say Wood is injured I'd play:

Kasper

RDL Morgan Keane Konchesky

James Drinky

Marshall Dyer

Knockaert

Nugent

It's very easy to say this after tonight, but at the end of the day we had 8 first choice players there. Gallagher wasn't actually that bad and Wellens wasn't a disgrace. In fact tonight it was many of our "good enough starting 11" who we're below par and utter shit.

A team containing Waghorn, King, Dyer, Whitbread and Schlupp with Vardy and Futacs coming on as sub best Ipswich 6-0!! We didn't just fluke that.

I don't think we need squad players. You're all being far too loyal ! I fear we need possibly two first-choice starters. Couldn't really get worked up about losing tonight. What I am more worried about (and yes, know we were all over the place with, ((correctly in my opinion)), giving people much needed game-time), is that we look very weary and have been playing some very ordinary football in recent weeks. Even during the latter part of the winning streak, we were not convincing in the way we have been earlier on the season. Teams are working us out, I fear, and we may well need someone else to come in and give it a breath of fresh air.

Archived