Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Drinkwater

Drinkwater is the player, who along with Knockaert, is suffering the most from NFP's cautious, negative approach.

When we were playing well Drinkwater had options all over the pitch, Knockaert and Marshall roaming all across our frontline, dyer looking to use his pace and fullbacks driving forward into the space on the flanks.

Now he has next to nothing, wide men tucked in keeping our shape, fullbacks with no space to run into, so he plays the ball back and it gets given the hoof, shame, I think he could be a seriously good player for us.

Well summed up m8. Couldn't agree more with this statement

Drinkwater is the player, who along with Knockaert, is suffering the most from NFP's cautious, negative approach.

When we were playing well Drinkwater had options all over the pitch, Knockaert and Marshall roaming all across our frontline, dyer looking to use his pace and fullbacks driving forward into the space on the flanks.

Now he has next to nothing, wide men tucked in keeping our shape, fullbacks with no space to run into, so he plays the ball back and it gets given the hoof, shame, I think he could be a seriously good player for us.

This

Absolute bollox ..i'm afraid !!!

I know everyone seems to think the light shines out of Drinkys a** but if you watch him closely you'll realise how very poor he is. His technical ability is poor, he has no creative ability, he gets done too easily and he hides when things get tough.

He was CRAP vs Boro, even crapper vs Wolves where IMO he nearly cost us by going missing for nearly all the 2nd half especially and after that game I said to my mate how hes really over rated and hes the weak link..we just went 2nd but I could see we got bossed in central midfield and only a quality Nugent goal bailed us out that time.

Didnt see Peterboro but against Charlton he was bloody sh*t again... hes more creative in setting up he opposition... He was w*nk againt Sheff W and then last night he was embarresing!

Yes its not JUST him but really he is the weak link..King plays so deep and its not what hes good at, hes technically a quality goalscoring midfield so bloody use him there not tracking lost causes! Obviously James being out hasnt helped but when he comes back like Ive said id drop Drinky instead. James does what Drinky does(Gritty, breaks up play) but on the ball hes MUCH better. he can pass, he can hold the ball and he can shoot(Great goal vs Bristol).

Knocky should be playing as well. Dyer & Knocky with Marshall off the bench. Up front build it round our best striker - Nugent...dont shove him wide and again like King not use him for his best talents. Id probably persist with Wood but if he dont pick up Id bring Vardy back in with Nugent.

I know everyone seems to think the light shines out of Drinkys a** but if you watch him closely you'll realise how very poor he is. His technical ability is poor, he has no creative ability, he gets done too easily and he hides when things get tough.

He was CRAP vs Boro, even crapper vs Wolves where IMO he nearly cost us by going missing for nearly all the 2nd half especially and after that game I said to my mate how hes really over rated and hes the weak link..we just went 2nd but I could see we got bossed in central midfield and only a quality Nugent goal bailed us out that time.

Didnt see Peterboro but against Charlton he was bloody sh*t again... hes more creative in setting up he opposition... He was w*nk againt Sheff W and then last night he was embarresing!

Yes its not JUST him but really he is the weak link..King plays so deep and its not what hes good at, hes technically a quality goalscoring midfield so bloody use him there not tracking lost causes! Obviously James being out hasnt helped but when he comes back like Ive said id drop Drinky instead. James does what Drinky does(Gritty, breaks up play) but on the ball hes MUCH better. he can pass, he can hold the ball and he can shoot(Great goal vs Bristol).

Knocky should be playing as well. Dyer & Knocky with Marshall off the bench. Up front build it round our best striker - Nugent...dont shove him wide and again like King not use him for his best talents. Id probably persist with Wood but if he dont pick up Id bring Vardy back in with Nugent.

Some people appreciate what King does, some do not.

I'll put you down as a do not....... :S

Some people appreciate what King does, some do not.

I'll put you down as a do not....... :S

No, people's views differ on whether he's actually that good.

For example, last night he was decent if not very effective until half time. In the second half he, you guessed it, disappeared.

It's not that some people don't appreciate what he does, it's that they don't think he does much a lot of the time. Which is very different.

No, people's views differ on whether he's actually that good.

For example, last night he was decent if not very effective until half time. In the second half he, you guessed it, disappeared.

It's not that some people don't appreciate what he does, it's that they don't think he does much a lot of the time. Which is very different.

Then they are wrong, apologies for being argumentative.

We have been through this so many times I am not going to do it again but whenever we play like shite, he gets scapegoated, a complete nonsense.

Judging any player on yesterdays performance is pointless, we were awful from front to back.

Hard to criticise a player who has hardly been in the team i'd suggest ?

I know that our most convincing run this season was when the manager finally dropped King for James .

We will never be consistant with King in midfield in my opinion .Being constantly on the periphery of games and not having any telling influence in them, is simply not enough !!

Then they are wrong, apologies for being argumentative.

We have been through this so many times I am not going to do it again but whenever we play like shite, he gets scapegoated, a complete nonsense.

Judging any player on yesterdays performance is pointless, we were awful from front to back.

There's a difference between scapegoating him and acknowledging that he's overrated. One is silly and the other is fair.

I honestly don't think Drinkwater is over-rated.

He's off-form in a very very off-form side.

The benefits that he brings to the team are energy. He's absolutely full of running and can build up momentum quickly and get us going again.

Pearsons ridiculous over-reliance on the long ball has done no-one any favours recently. Drinkwater is simply passed by too often. Same with Andy King.

The real worry for me about Drinky is he really cannot shoot for shit!

We get so few goals from our midfielders around the edge of the area.

I said Drinkwater will be the fulcrum of this team for the next few years (if he stays) and still believe this.

The problem is Pearson currently. His tactics are all wrong.

Drinky, same as Wood, same as Knocky.. Get them firing again in a passing and moving side and you'll see completely different players.

I honestly don't think Drinkwater is over-rated.

He's off-form in a very very off-form side.

The benefits that he brings to the team are energy. He's absolutely full of running and can build up momentum quickly and get us going again.

Pearsons ridiculous over-reliance on the long ball has done no-one any favours recently. Drinkwater is simply passed by too often. Same with Andy King.

The real worry for me about Drinky is he really cannot shoot for shit!

We get so few goals from our midfielders around the edge of the area.

I said Drinkwater will be the fulcrum of this team for the next few years (if he stays) and still believe this.

The problem is Pearson currently. His tactics are all wrong.

Drinky, same as Wood, same as Knocky.. Get them firing again in a passing and moving side and you'll see completely different players.

Fair enough Col.

However you are not the only one to mention the tactics and if Pearson gets it right and puts it back to how it was, Wood, Knocky and Drinky will start firing again.

BUT...we have only played a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation for two games, just two games, Drinkwater in particular went on his slump way before the Cardiff draw and Derby loss yesterday.

That's why I think he is one player who is particularly out of form, not just over the past two games, but for months now, even when we were playing well at times, he has been probably our weakest player on the pitch.

Like I said above even when the team were playing well, Drinkwater was probably the player who gave the ball away most times, and still had the knack to hold onto the ball for too long.

First half of the season, he was probably one of our most improved players, but for the majority of the second half of the season so far, he has been one of our worst players, he is just performing like he did when we brought him in last season from January, and that is average/poor.

Fair enough Col.

However you are not the only one to mention the tactics and if Pearson gets it right and puts it back to how it was, Wood, Knocky and Drinky will start firing again.

BUT...we have only played a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation for two games, just two games, Drinkwater in particular went on his slump way before the Cardiff draw and Derby loss yesterday.

That's why I think he is one player who is particularly out of form, not just over the past two games, but for months now, even when we were playing well at times, he has been probably our weakest player on the pitch.

Like I said above even when the team were playing well, Drinkwater was probably the player who gave the ball away most times, and still had the knack to hold onto the ball for too long.

First half of the season, he was probably one of our most improved players, but for the majority of the second half of the season so far, he has been one of our worst players, he is just performing like he did when we brought him in last season from January, and that is average/poor.

Generally a fair analysis, just one comment i would make.

I have said elsewhere that the pivotal period for us this year was pretty early, around november. This was the point that NFP curtailed our aggressive, attacking style and started to defend our 'position' as automatic promotion candidates by setting up more conservatively and looking to protect our 'position'.

It didn't quite happen overnight, we still played well on occasions but gradually we became more rigid, more defensive and much less likely to play well week on week.

I get the distinct impression that the players are no longer up for it either, body language has been awful in some games recently, rather as if they are weighed down by the responsibilities that have been heaped on them. The exuberance that we saw from Marshall, Knockaert, Nugent and yes, even Drinkwater early season has been worn away by a steady diet of conservative, sometimes numbingly negative methods and tactics.

Only my opinion, as always...... :thumbup:

My concern is as to why nugent is not getting any stick?

Since the huddersfield cup game we have carried him in the side, his touch has been worse than that of vardy and his work-rate has dramatically worsened. Yes he has been moved out of position, but that does not explain the previous points.

The more experienced heads such as nuge, konch, dyer, morgan and now even king need to take a lot of the harsh blame for our recent form.

We have a lot of youngsters in our side, such as drinky, marshall, de laet, wood etc. Young players are often extremely inconsistent, whilst at times their performance levels have not been what is required, the more experienced professionals in the side have been no better, and it is down to them to begin to turn this bad run around.

• 2 weeks later...

The title says it i really think he is, he had a few good games at start of season but hes massively over rated, Discuss

First half of the season, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt, he improved dramatically and turned into a key player.

Second half of the season he has been poor, last couple of games he has been absolutely shit.

Always thought he was overrated, when he came in he looked average, before us Barnsley fans rated him, but Cardiff and Watford fans said he was rubbish.

Archived