foxfanazer Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 With the England team in somewhat of a transition period, players close to retirement (Gerrard, Lampard, cole etc) I was wondering if maybe the next 10 years could be the unlikely golden era. The team I the last 10-15 years has had so much expectation on them before tournaments and failed miserably, mostly going out with a wimper. Even though player for player we don't look as strong, could the current crop and the emerging u21's surprise us all and bring us some much needed success? I know it was only a friendly but I thought we applied ourselves very well against Brazil, we did a job on them as we knew out players were inferior. Part of my optimism/hope is the form of the u21 side, look very positive and quite pacey. I know it's a bit doom and gloom with England, build you up to let you down but less expectation might be a good thing Thoughts?
ozleicester Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 With the England team in somewhat of a transition period, players close to retirement (Gerrard, Lampard, cole etc) I was wondering if maybe the next 10 years could be the unlikely golden era. The team I the last 10-15 years has had so much expectation on them before tournaments and failed miserably, mostly going out with a wimper. Even though player for player we don't look as strong, could the current crop and the emerging u21's surprise us all and bring us some much needed success? I know it was only a friendly but I thought we applied ourselves very well against Brazil, we did a job on them as we knew out players were inferior. Part of my optimism/hope is the form of the u21 side, look very positive and quite pacey. I know it's a bit doom and gloom with England, build you up to let you down but less expectation might be a good thing Thoughts? We can but hope A good manager and players that actually have a passion (eeek) for playing for their country and I think there is the making of a good side. Having said that, we dont have either at the moment, and even then, a good side isnt going to win anything...is it?
foxfanazer Posted 26 March 2013 Author Posted 26 March 2013 We can but hope A good manager and players that actually have a passion (eeek) for playing for their country and I think there is the making of a good side. Having said that, we dont have either at the moment, and even then, a good side isnt going to win anything...is it? I think we have a few players passionate about playing, just ****wits like Rio that let us down.I do however worry about Woy being the boss, bit boring?
KFS Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 We're certainly looking bright with the likes of Wilshere, Ox, Walker, Shaw (I know he's very young but still). I'm a bit worried about the up and coming strikers though. It seems we have pace but not much else really.
davieG Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 I think we have a few players passionate about playing, just ****wits like Rio that let us down. I do however worry about Woy being the boss, bit boring? Alf Ramsey was the King of boring. Re OP, I think you answered it in your title - Unlikely.
foxfanazer Posted 26 March 2013 Author Posted 26 March 2013 Alf Ramsey was the King of boring. Re OP, I think you answered it in your title - Unlikely. I'm too young to remember mate I meant unlikely in the sense of the low expectation and the chance they could surprise a few. All if buts and maybes but I just wondered what people though of the current/u21 crop
Guest shearfox Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 I think we are making the step in the right direction, Roy is actually getting us to play some nice football and it seems to be working well. The U21's have now gone something like 9 games without conceding a goal and look to be banging them in so all looks quite bright for the future. We will see how they get on at Euro 2013.
Fox92 Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 I think every England generation/squad carries a lot of expectation, but we always seem to fail. We do have some decent upcoming players, the likes of Caulker and Wilshere, but so do some of the other Countries (look at Germany, for example).
Corky Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 At least the Under-21s are getting some sort of winning mentality at the moment, which could help when they are brought into the senior squad.
AyewJoking Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 I think U21 performances/results mean little. The best we can hope for is a new generation of players who are comfortable on the ball. You can build from that.
MooseBreath Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 The weight of expectation has been a huge burden on the lampard gerrard generation. I can't see that being so much of a problem for the next set, but we all know what the media are like when it comes to building up English players. A couple of good performances will be all it takes for someone like Wilshere or the ox to suddenly become 'england's great hope' and bang you're back to failure.
foxfanazer Posted 26 March 2013 Author Posted 26 March 2013 The weight of expectation has been a huge burden on the lampard gerrard generation. I can't see that being so much of a problem for the next set, but we all know what the media are like when it comes to building up English players. A couple of good performances will be all it takes for someone like Wilshere or the ox to suddenly become 'england's great hope' and bang you're back to failure. good point. Can definitely see Wilshere being a huge player for us
Guest shearfox Posted 26 March 2013 Posted 26 March 2013 good point. Can definitely see Wilshere being a huge player for us Wilshere is a class player, but he seems to spend a lot more time being injured which is slowing his progress down.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.