Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Where did it all go wrong?

What's surprising and confusing is that we were far better defensively when playing our attacking, attractive football up until January, yet since changing our style to be more defensive the defence has leaked goals at an alarming rate.

We were keeping the ball more when we were playing that attacking stuff, limiting our opponents' opportunities to score. When we started lumping it forward we lost the ball more frequently and put ourselves under more pressure defensively.

Glad it amuses you - his team is not capable of going up and as for staying up I guess we'll never know - you're supporting the wrong team me old China, us old fvckers remember what it is like to support a team and players you can be proud of.........not this shower of reserves from Prem teams managed by an over rated Barnsley manager

So you judge his team based on one year, there is only so many players he can ship out and bring in in one year, I was around when we was in the Prem and before so I know what it is like to support a team and players to be proud of, seemingly over the last 10 years that hasn't been the case, however now I feel this team can go forwards you want instant success and that ain't going to happen times have changed.

So you judge his team based on one year, there is only so many players he can ship out and bring in in one year, I was around when we was in the Prem and before so I know what it is like to support a team and players to be proud of, seemingly over the last 10 years that hasn't been the case, however now I feel this team can go forwards you want instant success and that ain't going to happen times have changed.

Hardly....and tell that to the Hull fans.....one season is what it took Bruce to rebuild NP's mid table fodder and put them in the Prem

Good post..

But its not just the 3 that come down and the 3 that come up that we have to worry about. Its the others too. Forest, bolton, blackburn. Derby, brighton, middlesborough will all be in similar situations to us...

Anything coukd happen next year in the championship, it can never be a full gone conclusion like the premier has been for the past x years.

Talking of the premier league, now fergies gone, I think it will be a much more exciting top half of the table as currently only the bottom half provides any excitement for me!

Looking forward to next season already :-). Hope pearson stays as I think he will sort the team out out proper for the poush next season...

Hardly....and tell that to the Hull fans.....one season is what it took Bruce to rebuild NP's mid table fodder and put them in the Prem

You keep banging on about Hull and Big Bruce what about all the other teams that have been stuck in this division for years now.

What about Cardiff how long has it took them, just because Hull have gone up within 3 years doesn't give us any right to get out the league.

You keep banging on about Hull and Big Bruce what about all the other teams that have been stuck in this division for years now.

What about Cardiff how long has it took them, just because Hull have gone up within 3 years doesn't give us any right to get out the league.

Not really banging on....for every team that gets it right plenty will get it wrong. We are a little different in that we have the budget, the following and if we can hang on to them around 4 or 5 players on which we can build a new team..........it will take a big man to get us up.

We don't have a divine right but FFS why can't we be like Newcastle fans and believe our club is great, not settle for crap.........you seem scared to believe in us

Not really banging on....for every team that gets it right plenty will get it wrong. We are a little different in that we have the budget, the following and if we can hang on to them around 4 or 5 players on which we can build a new team..........it will take a big man to get us up.

We don't have a divine right but FFS why can't we be like Newcastle fans and believe our club is great, not settle for crap.........you seem scared to believe in us

We HAD the budget not anymore because Sven's blew it not Pearson, im not scared to believe in us I believe this team will go up with Pearson in charge  and with a bit more experience and a few more additions we have every chance next season. Gallagher, Wellens, Beckford, Fuctas, Vardy, Waghorn, Whitebread have to be replaced with better players which im sure they will.

Pearson doesn't like experienced players, he likes to sign quite young players who will be too scared to question his tactics. 

Like Chris Powell? Nobby Solano? Bruno Berner? Paul Dickov?

Pearson doesn't like experienced players, he likes to sign quite young players who will be too scared to question his tactics. 

Don't forget Pearson is pretty new to the being a full time manager, yes he has worked alongside managers as the assistant or coach, so he will be learning new things every year.

To be honest he hasn't got at half bad record at all, infact it is a lot better than most.

After 4 seasons working as a full time manager he has managed 1 League one title and 2 Play off places, the other season was split between 2 teams.

That's what a lot of people are forgetting.

Or understand them. :thumbup:

What ever went wrong the buck stops with the manager. It's not as if we started off badly then gradually improved to the point of just missing out on a playoff spot is it ? We did exactly the opposite.

It is not just the dead wood players we need moving out I'm afraid Pearson has proved inept in both tactics and man management and needs moving out himself. Can anyone who witnessed the last eighteen games have any belief that by some miracle Pearson will change his spots next season ?

The sooner he is gone the sooner we can hopefully look forward to a new manager who knows how to play football and not the hoofball and hope that we have all witnessed over the last few months.

Don't forget Pearson is pretty new to the being a full time manager, yes he has worked alongside managers as the assistant or coach, so he will be learning new things every year.

To be honest he hasn't got at half bad record at all, infact it is a lot better than most.

After 4 seasons working as a full time manager he has managed 1 League one title and 2 Play off places, the other season was split between 2 teams.

That's what a lot of people are forgetting.

Tell you what I am not forgetting the last eighteen games of pure dross and hoofball. That IS a bad record and would have got him the sack from most clubs by now.

Tell you what I am not forgetting the last eighteen games of pure dross and hoofball. That IS a bad record and would have got him the sack from most clubs by now.

I think you will find it was 14 you are obviously forgetting the other 36 games though clown.

I think you will find it was 14 you are obviously forgetting the other 36 games though clown.

So by your reckoning it's ok to forget the other 14 games then ?  You know the ones where if we had picked up another ten points we could have had automatic promotion. And you call me a clown . :blink:

Take the positive stance.

Look how poor we believed we were, then look at how close to automatic promotion. Look at the finishing positions of other 'big clubs', like leeds, forest, sheffield wednesday. Look at the success (or lack of) from the recently relegated sides. wolves, blackburn and bolton.

Criticism of any manager is expected, Fergie has always come in for some, and this season mourinho has come in for a lot. But is NP really that bad of a manager?

Would he have got wolves relegated? - No.

I cannot fault his signings thus far, de laet, wood, keane, james, morgan, knocky etc. Have all been extremely successful.

If you look at the first 11 we finished with during the season..

........................kasper

de laet....morgan...........keane......konch

knocky...james.............king..........dyer

.............wood...............nuge

7 were signed by NP, and king was given his big chance under him. 

What Pearson is trying to do here is something we have never witnessed before at this club. He is building a club, a squad, a youth side. He is trying to improve all areas of the club. He is essentially doing a 'fergie'. 

We may not have had success this season, we may not have it for the next few seasons, but we must see what he is trying to achieve.

Teams like palace have operated in a similar way to what we are now, with the exception that we can afford to invest in players. That is what players like knocky, de laet, james, wood etc are. Investments, to either sell on and make the club money, or develop at the club to improve the league standings.

Can we not just stick behind the management and staff? They are trying to improve everything, from the youth team, to the financial side of the club. If we do make it to the premier league, the improvements we are making now, will stand us well, in comparison to trying to do it whilst in the promised land. Look at how villa have struggled this season trying a similar project.

Home Wins under Pearson since his return in November 2011- 23

Home Wins under Sven- 16

Away Wins under Pearson since his return in November 2011- 11

Away Wins under Sven- 9

Home losses under Pearson since his return in November 2011-10

Home losses under Sven- 6

Away losses under Pearson since his return in November 2011- 19

Away losses under Sven- 11

Just worked out this record this includes cup games, was Sven treated harshly?

Home Wins under Pearson since his return in November 2011- 23

Home Wins under Sven- 16

Away Wins under Pearson since his return in November 2011- 11

Away Wins under Sven- 9

Home losses under Pearson since his return in November 2011-10

Home losses under Sven- 6

Away losses under Pearson since his return in November 2011- 19

Away losses under Sven- 11

Just worked out this record this includes cup games, was Sven treated harshly?

Sven as a manager is even more tactically clueless than pearson.

His style is 'we will buy better players than you', and our club simply cannot support that.

Sven as a manager is even more tactically clueless than pearson.

His style is 'we will buy better players than you', and our club simply cannot support that.

Well if they decide to keep him I shall get behind him and the team and say no more on the matter and that's a promise.

Posted in another thread but here are my thoughts on where it went wrong and where I think we should go from here:

The problem we have at the moment is people are basing their vote and opinion on speculation - speculating about how we will be doing at the start of next season. For me, Pearson did a fantastic job last season. I don't know how so many people have wiped our season until February from their minds. All this talk of constant hoofball and NP being clueless from the start - TOTAL bollocks. With one of the smallest and youngest squads not just in the Championship, but in the entire Football League, Pearson and the lads were winning games and picking up points, handing out some real beatings in the process. We might have lost a few games along the way before Feb, but that's completely irrelevant, because we were 2nd, and all this talk about it being a poor Championship etc, irrelevant, the table is what it is, if you are 2nd in February you've been the 2nd best side until February, if you are 6th at the end, you have made the top 6 and that's that, no matter how it happened.

Now after February came and as time went on from there , I think we can all admit that Pearson made some mistakes, and the unfortunate impression he has given in not being able to turn a game on its head ended up being very damaging. Our embarrassingly weak bench contributed to this impression undoubtedly, and this can be rectified for next season. Pearson couldn't do unlimited business in the summer or January. More time and more opportunities were needed. There are several aspects of the slump which I feel NP is unfairly given all the blame for. Players dropped out of form at unfortunate times, injuries hit and rumour-mongering did too. The small and young squad bottled the pressure of being top 2, having not experienced it before, and perhaps it's fair to say NP, having also not been in said position before, bottled it a little too. Add to that some bad luck on the pitch (screamers flying in against us every other week etc - what can Pearson do about that?) and we dropped out of the running.

You are in complete denial if you can't admit we played some excellent football up to February. The slow and steady creeping of more hoofball into our game since then was part-panic, part-Chris Wood, and part-desperation, to make us a bit more solid trying to arrest the slump. But for all this complaining I'm hearing about a style orienting around long-balls, what is all that wrong with it? I think what people are forgetting here is that while it might not be pretty, it works in this division. It worked for Sheff Utd, it worked for Stoke, it worked for Wolves, and it worked for Cardiff, who have resorted to it PLENTY of times this season when they needed to dig in at the back and grind it out. All this complaining about not having a Plan B, why can't that be it next season? For me, the Watford home leg represented a perfect example of how we can reconcile both styles to get the results we need. The first half we came out all guns blazing, played some good stuff on the floor, and looked dangerous, all over them. The only player playing long-balls before the hour-mark was Schlupp, who was clearly bricking it continually after his mistake and booking, but even then, his ball to pick out Keane in the box - sublime vision and execution. Now although we looked good before half-time, Watford also looked very dangerous on the counter. So as time went on and the goal wasn't coming, we switch to a more long-ball style, and guess what? We got the goal - and we kept them out for our first clean sheet in yonks. We ground that result out - who wouldn't be satisfied if we went with that 90 minute game plan in the league next season in 20 or so matches where our first-half football wasn't getting us anywhere, and it brought us 14 wins and a couple of draws, even if they were a bit boring?

Regardless of the slump, what you also cannot deny is that Pearson salvaged the season. We dropped out of the top 6, but we only lost one of the last six, took points off 2 teams above us away from home, and beat BOTH of the teams who could have snatched our spot when we needed to, climaxing in a magic afternoon in Nottingham. Whatever mistakes he had made, whatever was getting the players down, he rectified it, kept the season alive and gave us that chance, and again it's only a Frenchman's penalty that has foiled him. I don't care what anyone says, yesterday Watford might have played nicer football than us, but we matched them over the 90 minutes and were good for the draw that pen would have given us, and then what would NP have done? Masterminded a victory over two legs against a side the league table says is significantly better than us. 

The only issue for me, is how much we will learn from this season. How much did Knocky learn? How much did Nigel learn? I firmly believe they will all take the experience of this season and come back stronger. No doubt Pearson has recognised some of his errors and we can all work on them. For all the people bringing up Vardy and Futacs, pray tell me when was the last time they saw any minutes? NP realised they were pony months ago, so helped orchestrate Schlupp's spell at United, before bringing him back into the fold, and lo and behold, Schlupp makes important contributions like the winner v Bolton, and shows enough to hold down a place in the side in two positions. 

Nigel's business is unfinished. Knocky will want to come back and do it for us next season - he has said he loves Leicester and was distraught to miss that penalty. I thoroughly believe another summer of shipping out deadwood and money-spinners, with another couple of scouted gems and shrewd signings, and our squad, particularly the bench, will be stronger, and NP's mandate will be a lot closer to being fulfilled. I thoroughly believe Pearson and the players have and will learn from their post-January experiences, they will come back with fresh legs, another year of Championship experience (and for a lot of them their first year (!) of Championship experience) and be ready to go again, back with a vengeance.

By all means, if we are making the same silly mistakes and looking like the January-March Leicester, the one that loses at home to the dross, rather than the other one that crushes them by six goals come August, by all means perhaps we should think about a change, a measured one that is likely to keep most of our core of players together and not set us back with a wild new project. But as much as some of you want to believe it, Pearson didn't take that penalty yesterday, and he deserves the chance to build on and finish what he's started. When he was appointed, he and the owners talked a lot about the long-term, which I am a big fan of. 18 months is not long-term.

I have every faith that Nigel will repeat the same trick next season, we will be in the top 2 in February just like we were this season, and this time, with lessons learnt and problem areas addressed, we'll fvcking stay there. 

Keep the Faith, because Foxes Never Quit.

1. The opposition found a system to play against us, and we couldn't cope until James came back from injury. We need a Liam Bridcutt player. I think Clough might have said 'We need to build the spine first'.

2. Leicester is a hard working team but, this damages our creativity in midfiled and composure when finishing for goals.

3. We couldn't win enough games when we were playing well.

Or understand them. :thumbup:

What ever went wrong the buck stops with the manager. It's not as if we started off badly then gradually improved to the point of just missing out on a playoff spot is it ? We did exactly the opposite.

It is not just the dead wood players we need moving out I'm afraid Pearson has proved inept in both tactics and man management and needs moving out himself. Can anyone who witnessed the last eighteen games have any belief that by some miracle Pearson will change his spots next season ?

The sooner he is gone the sooner we can hopefully look forward to a new manager who knows how to play football and not the hoofball and hope that we have all witnessed over the last few months.

Unless it's a manager we like and then it's the players to blame.

Archived